Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Annoying pop up window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Annoying pop up window

Not sure if it is the site or the latest iPadOS version which I installed last night but I now get a pop up with the word error: in It next to the thread’s main title when returning from a thread to Recent Posts.
    Last edited by Donw; May 16, 2020, 04:17 AM.

Ditto on the window. Noticed a few days ago. It’s gaining in strength. They sorta move around a bit also.
    Last edited by FireMan; May 16, 2020, 05:25 AM.

Comment

Likewise here, occasionally.

Comment

Also, the Notifications Listed names have to be manually dismissed now.

Comment

It started happening to me after the latest iOS update.

Comment

Same here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	6A3F8D82-AA4C-48FD-BDC9-2E8135806285.png
Views:	247
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	846884

Comment

Didn't we have this issue a couple months back too? I get those popups when I hover my mouse over the thread title, it's supposed to give you a preview of the topics first couple lines of text but have noticed sometimes it says "error", perhaps because it's only a picture in that topic and it can't display that in the popup. Not sure. Regardless, I don't have an iPad and iPads & phones don't have a mouse, so you shouldn't see random popups like that, right? I'm sure raywjohnson can get a handle on it.

Comment

• raywjohnson
                raywjohnson commented
                Editing a comment
                I will check it out.

Huskee The error: popup seems to happen when you click on a thread from the Recent Posts page and then use the back button to return to Recent Posts. If you click on the Recent Posts tab to return to the page, no popup. Not sure wether it happens in other browsers or from the actual Channel page.

This is with Safari 13.1 on both macOS 10.14 and macOS 10.15

Comment

• mnavarre
                mnavarre commented
                Editing a comment
                It does happen on the Channel pages, it does not happen in google Chrome.

Ditto
              Attached Files

Comment

I am looking into this. Will try to get to it today.

Comment

Sorry for the delay. I have not been able to replicate the problem. But I suspect it is the usual suspect. Corrupt or outdated cache.

Before you clear your cache (CTRL+F5 or CMD+R), could someone get me a screenshot of the page errors?

Console tab, ensure "errors" are selected (prefer only"errors").

Firefox
                  CTRL+SHIFT+K

Name:	browser-console-firefox.png
Views:	262
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	847814

Chrome
                  CTRL+SHIFT+I

Name:	browser-console-chrome.png
Views:	217
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	847815

Do not know the Safari shortcut. You can try to look in the menu for tools or developer tools.

Comment

• mnavarre
                    mnavarre commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Safari shortcut to empty cache is CMD+SHIFT+E

• Jared49
                    Jared49 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I’m using an iPad with 13.4.1 os. When I use the "back arrow" in the banner at the top of the screen, I get the error message. When I use the Amazing Ribs menu "Recent Posts" the error message does not appear and if I had it, it clears it.
                    Hope this helps.

• jfmorris
                    jfmorris commented
                    Editing a comment
                    There is no easy way to clear the browser cache on an iOS device.

It appears to be an iOS issue. Are you using an Apple device to try to recreate the problem?

Comment

I have duplicated this as well in Safari for iOS, but it does not occur in Safari on macOS.

As Jared49 states, it happens if you click on a thread in Recent Posts, then click the back arrow in the browser to go back to the recent posts list. Every thread you have read shows the floating "Error:" in a cartoon bubble. Clicking "Recent Posts" at the top of the page does not show the issue. That is usually what I do, but I tried the back arrow browser navigation option as that is apparently what the folks seeing the issue are doing, and bingo! Problem duplicated.
                    Last edited by jfmorris; May 18, 2020, 10:15 AM.

Comment

• Jared49
                      Jared49 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thank you, you ‘splained it perfectly!! 😊

I have an iPhone (bought by Mh so that I can test on it).

I cannot recreate the problem. It is iPhone 10 or 11 (iOS 13).

It does not show the error bubbles when I click an topic in recent posts and then use the browsers back button.

Here are the steps to clear cache in iOS 13

Name:	ios-clear-cache-1.png
Views:	212
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	848155Click image for larger version

Name:	ios-clear-cache-2.png
Views:	198
Size:	305.9 KB
ID:	848156

Name:	ios-clear-cache-3.png
Views:	252
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	848153Click image for larger version

Name:	ios-clear-cache-4.png
Views:	202
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	848154

Comment

Hold on to your iPhones!

I got the error bubble.

After I cleared all cache and cookies. Logged back in. Recent Posts. Click a topic. Back....

Name:	ios-iphone-the-error.png
Views:	203
Size:	293.5 KB
ID:	848165

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here