Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AdChoices banner keeps downloading to my machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes sir.

Comment

"Ready set Eat" Pop-up is back....

Comment

I don't think it ever went away. For whatever reason the ad folks are having a hard time making it go away, but they are definitely aware!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok..
          It went away for me for sometime.

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          It may have gone away for a day or two or you may have been lucky and that ad just didn't hit. Anyway I've been talking to the support guys. They're chasing it with a can of Raid, a fly swatter, and an old shoe, but this bug is proving tough to kill.

You guys are the best in reporting bugs. Don't know how many of you caught this post in the announcments: Today, 4/1, yes I know the timing is suspicious, we have rolled out a new design to the website, everything except The Pit. We think it is easier to read and use on desktop, but it is a LOT easier on tablets and smartphones. Called a responsive design, the pages rejigger themselves depending on the screen size. The project has been in the works for a year, and I'm pretty happy, but I am CERTAIN there will be glitches. Some of the code in the site went all the way back to the beginning in 2005 (happy 10th anniversary to us!). So if you find something behaving badly, please tell us. It is important that we know what browser and version you are using because the browser is what reads our code.

I said The Pit hadn't changed, but I see that Pit Boss has added a banner to tell you about news and new stuff (it will not be used for ads). And yes, we'll get some better pix and fix the & ampersand issue.

Thanks everyone. Gotta run, I'm off to get us ready for the next 10 years!

Comment

I think we stomped out all the major bugs with a few nits remaining. Almost all the problems were on smartphones. We wrote a javascript that was causing all kinds page refreshes on smartphones. Regarding "downloading files". NOTHING ABSOLUTElY nothing should be downloading to your computers EVER. If you ever see this please send an email to [email protected] immediately. I read all that mail personally. Tell me as much as you can about the incident, especially the OS (windows, android, mac, iOS, etc) and if possible the version number, also your browser and your version number.

Some things to keep in mind:

Older browsers often cause issues, especially Internet Explorer, so updating your browser will cure a lot of ills.

Smartphone browsers are not as powerful or smart as desktop browsers. Remember, this is a very new technology. Most websites work FAR better on desktops and even tablets than smartphones.

We still can't kill the ads. They are an important part of our revenue stream and that revenue helps us get better. But we can kill the ad networks that feed us crap. That is a very high priority. Problem is that we are trying to be careful about conflicts of interest. I am not comfortable taking ads from grill manufacturers for example. Occasionally they slip in the back door by placing an ad with Google.

My tech experts tell me that many virus detective apps produce a lot of false alarms.

We have recently beefed up our tech team significantly. This stuff has gotten waaaaay beyond my skill set. I really prefer cooking to coding.

Comment

THANK YOU, MH!!

And to the staff at AR! The upgrade now allows for paragraphs from iPads!

Great job!

Comment

I run FireFox with AdBlock Plus. Don't have any issues at this time. Now IE is a different story, which is why I avoid it.

--Ed

Comment

• Jon Solberg
                Jon Solberg commented
                Editing a comment
                As should everyone.

• David Parrish
                David Parrish commented
                Editing a comment
                Agreed. Many issues we run into have a root cause in IE. There is a reason Microsoft is killing it.

The Ready Set Eat pop up got fixed. If anyone else sees it let me know.

Comment

• Meathead
                Meathead commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, we found the ad network culprit about a week ago and fired them.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here