Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New channel/or does it exist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is food safety dead? I am not into seances so I don't know how to channel that.

Comment

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      Depends on temp it was heated to and for how long...

Example. Page 5.

Comment

Originally posted by mountainsmoker View Post
      Meathead thanks for referencing my post. You say "
      SV is a new technique and I don't think it belongs in the BBQ world. If you want to use it for brisket or pulled pork the temps 131 or 140 are already above where the the smoke will adhere the most.
      SV has been around for decades, only made affordable, and thus popular, over the last few years.

Smoking from cold is why many of us like the presmoke, then SV, then final smoke, or QVQ.

Comment

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        Not practical at home until recently, but started in 1974. Restaurants and processors were using it long before the home cook.

It’s seen as a modern, cutting-edge cooking method, but sous vide has been around for longer than you think. Tom Shingler takes a look at its origins and the people who helped turn it into the phenomenon it is today.
        Last edited by Polarbear777; July 2, 2019, 09:16 PM.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        False, it has been around since the 70's and probably before that. Just because you first heard of it in the 2000's, doesn't mean it didn't exist before YOU knew about it. LOL.mountainsmoker Check out Polarbear777 link. And MH's coments below.

• DeusDingo
        DeusDingo commented
        Editing a comment
        there's that "scientific background" at work again. all scientists know if it didn't happen to them it didn't happen at all. that's why all experiments are done on the researchers directly!

mountainsmoker You ask how long is long enough. Alas, no simple answer. It varied depending on the meat and the temp and the thickness. The point is that USDA may say 165 for chicken but as we show here
      We all strive to create tender, juicy, and flavorful meat, but we also want it safe. Monitoring the internal temperature is the best way to have the best of both worlds. Here's the ultimate guide to understanding proper cooking temperatures and food safety to ensure that your meat is cooked perfectly every time.

chicken at 136 should be pasteurized in 82 minutes (that's medium rare just like mr for beef and pork, but just a bit too wierd texture for me). At 150, in 5 minutes (still a bit slipery to my taste). At 156 in 1 minute a(nd believe me chicken breast at 156 for 1 minute is a WHOLE lot different than at 164 for 12 secs and a whole lot better).

Also a factor is the level of risk. Are you willing to risk, say 1 pathogen per breast? 2? 5? What are the odds they will make you sick? Kill you?

A lot has been written on this here and elsewhere.

Comment

mountainsmoker Again, you are wrong. Pasteurization simply refers to the reduction of bacteria to a safe level as opposed to sterilization which reduces bacterial load to zero. Pasteurization does NOT apply only to dairy and does not have to be at high temps. It simply refers to making the food safe.

Comment

mountainsmoker Again you are wrong. SV is not new. As I explain in my article on the vasics of Sous Vide Que "It began in the late 1960s and early 1970s with important work being done independently by the American Ambrose T. McGuckian, the French chef George Pralus, and the French food scientist Bruno Goussault. The first sous vide meal was almost certainly served at the Holiday Inn in Greensboro, SC in 1970 by McGuckian who had been an employee of Grace Cryovac and had been involved with a program to improve hospital food in Sweden in the late 1960s. This program utilized vacuum packaging of food that Graze Cryovac had originally developed in conjunction with NASA and the space program."
          Sous-Vide-Que combines the best of three great cooking methods: grilling, smoking, and sous vide. From grilling you get the rich flavors of browning. From smoking, you get the alluring aromas of wood smoke. And from sous vide, you get evenly cooked meat that is incredibly tender and juicy.

Comment

I think the problems encountered in this discussion illustrates profoundly why we should not have a food safety channel. Too much misinformation out there.

Comment

• MBMorgan
              MBMorgan commented
              Editing a comment
              Sadly, you are correct, sir! And unfortunately, it seems that those in possession of the most/worst misinformation feel compelled to preach it to all who are in the greatest need of facts and the truth ... and who are willing to listen to the loudest voice around.

• holehogg
              holehogg commented
              Editing a comment
              You are a very patient Gentleman.

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              MBMorgan
              it seems that those in possession of the most/worst misinformation feel compelled to preach it to all who are in the greatest need of facts and the truth ... and who are willing to listen to the loudest voice around.
              Sadly, thus has it ever been, though it's always nice to see us makin some headway, gainst th global trend.

If there was a "LOVE" button fer yer comment, I'da done wore it plumb out, in th last few minutes, an appreciate yer sagacity, an wisdom, Brother

Originally posted by mountainsmoker View Post
            If you have a local slaughter house they are there.
            Not necessarily. USDA only has jurisdiction if the plant ships across state lines, so if it's truly a local slaughterhouse, it may be inspected by the state. In my experience, the USDA is much more rigorous.

Comment

Originally posted by Meathead View Post
              I think the problems encountered in this discussion illustrates profoundly why we should not have a food safety channel. Too much misinformation out there.
              Too true. I have been an unofficial safety engineer and chemistry professor for a soap-making forum over the past 5 years. Based on this experience and what I see on the AR forum, I agree there is a lot of ignorance, partial truths, and utter falsehoods floating around about safety and chemistry, whether we're talking food or soap. And I have also observed the ones who actually do know what they're talking about are often shouted into silence by those who think they know.

IMO, clear science-based safety rules for a forum like this aren't something that should be created by consensus and debate by the group as a whole. The rules need to be set by a person or a small group of people who truly knows what they're doing. I understand this rather inflexible approach will chafe some members of the group, but this approach will result in rules that are sound, sensible, consistent, and easy for all members to understand, regardless of their level of knowledge and skill.

I don't think that rules out any informal discussion about the science and reasoning behind those the safety rules, as long as its understood the rules will still remain the rules after the discussion is over. In this forum, Meathead has the last word on this with Mrs. Meathead and Dr. Blonder backing him up. Sounds like a sensible arrangement to me and one that I can respect and follow.

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Well said. Much more eloquent than my original reply above.

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Rock On, Sis!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here