Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New channel/or does it exist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New channel/or does it exist?

Is there a food Saftey question channel? Perhaps with Label question or something along those lines?

Im not suggesting a professional or legal advice channel. Heck we’d all chime in and give our pennies worth anyway.

My advice is to cook whatever to a minimum of 165*. 170* would be even safer...

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      That is quite possibly the worst advise I have ever ignored. 😀

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      I say, boil those ribs! Everything is safe at 212F!!!

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      I say order Home Fries at a restaurant.

So no more Steak Diane ????

Comment

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      I just talked to her and Diane said she will never give up steak.

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey wait a minute steak Diane what a tableside thing in the way back and flamed right? I figured youd remember.😀

Originally posted by HouseHomey View Post
    Is there a food Saftey question channel? Perhaps with Label question or something along those lines?
    Great idea, HH! I second that suggestion ...

Huskee

Comment

i think there's a magnet for that

Comment

Yeah, here it is: Be safe with yer food!
        Channel that! ✊ 🧐

Comment

• DeusDingo
          DeusDingo commented
          Editing a comment
          "when in doubt throw it out" copy, paste

DeusDingoTroutman
        Ya’ll need to catch up, I’ll wait.

How many times have we heard "Is it safe?" Or "Can I Reheat this?" Or "Isnt 125° too low for an SV Tri tip?" Or why blah blah blah.

I dont need some one to tell me when to pull
        my turkey or to use a thermometer.

just like we are overloaded with engineers, gadget folk and people who tinker with damn near everything....... We also have some real smarts in the other groups too such as Docs, chemists, fitness people, farmers and others sciences.

Maybe they cant tell you why you can’t get HBO or why your fan stopped running but they can explain the H+ reaction and Stoichoimetery.

My point is since we all chime in on a lot of things perhaps this would be useful as well and give other folk sitting on the sidelines a reason to jump in every now and again as we approach their expertise and bring it back to food and beverage or general stuff we gab about.

So maybe I’m a bit off on the exact stuff but I think you get my drift.

hope this helps.

MBMorgan
        thank you

Comment

• Randy-Phx
          Randy-Phx commented
          Editing a comment
          I have a garbage disposal leak. When the plumber came out, no luck. Any plumbers in the group?

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Where's it leakin from? I've probly serviced / replaced round 2500 disposers, conservatively estimatin...mebbe, I can be of some assistance, hmmmm???
          Randy-Phx

• Randy-Phx
          Randy-Phx commented
          Editing a comment
          It was leaking around the top where it clamps on to the sink. I probably over bought when I bought the disposal. It’s huge and vibrates the countertop when on.

I don't like the idea.

Here's why: We are not doctors, food safety experts, nutritionists, etc (although surely some of you are). We don't want a channel titled Food Safety, thus giving the impression that things stated in this channel are what's safe, or questions answered are legitimate answers to what's safe, etc.

I feel that Meathead's articles on food safety are adequate for what he deems necessary for advice and safety tips, both from an educational and legal standpoint. Beyond that, I think we open ourselves up some cans of worms discussing answers that we have no business discussing with any authority. Someone gets sick, they say "Huskee" (or HouseHomey or Jerod Broussard or FireMan) over at AmazingRibs.com said it'd be fine so I cooked it and my whole family had to go to the ER.....someone must PAY for their bad advice!"

You see my point?

Let's just post any questions we have about something in its proper sub-channel as we have been and steer clear of a dedicated Food Safety channel.

And this is the end-all of ANY food safety question: "When in doubt, THROW IT OUT!". No piece of meat or can of something is worth your life and health.

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Some one would really say: “What FireMan said over at Amazing Ribs, really? That’s amazing. 🕶

Oh, and is this yer point. . ?

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          FireMan I say it weekly in my group of friends

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          FireMan, i said it the other day while i was chopping garlic

You know this is a loaded question. First let's look at pork. The USDA has recently lowered the safe temp of it to 145 from 160 which leaves a pink center. This horrifies my Iowan farmers. To them pink is bad. You also have to look at how our meat is handled these days.

There are USDA inspectors in every meat processing plant in the US. If you have a local slaughter house they are there. The difference between a solid piece of meat and ground meat if vast. Solid pieces can only have disease germs on the outside they do not penetrate. Ground meat is mixed surface and interior meat so all the disease spores can be mixed in if the meat is not handled properly. Searing a steak at high heat kills off any spores available.

SVing allows the spores to grow if available, you have, to trust there are none. If there are any they will grow rapidly and find there way into any crevices in that piece of meat. If you must SV do it above 140, the high end of the danger zone. To me SV is a dangerous step in cooking meat. It is useful in some things, that I can agree on, but not meat. I feel you are playing with your and families lives.

This is not something to play with. Meat safety has changed over the last few years. It seems like we are having a meat recall every 3-6 months. Don't take a chance do not SV your meat under 140. A seared steak is fine to eat whether it is blue or well done. Poultry ie. chicken and turkeys at 160 in the thigh. Pork 145. Hamburger 160 These are the recommended temps from the USDA. If you don't like them go higher.

While I say SV at 140 and the Danger Zone is listed as 41-130 that is low nearly none of the dangerous spores are killed to 140. Even then E coli is not killed see this https://www.bing.com/search?q=killin...89aed5fd0f4e3c

Comment

I study food safety issues carefully and have written extensively on the subject in several articles here
          https://amazingribs.com/technique-an...ety-and-health

Many of you know that my wife was Chief of the Food Technology Branch of the Division of Food Processing Science and Technology of FDA until she retired in Dec. She remains a consultant to the FDA, judges research projects for funding, and edits scientific papers by FDA researchers for publication. She also is the editor of Food Microbiology magazine, a highly regarded peer review journal. She vets my writing on the subject. For example, she worked with me to develop the table on this page that shows the maximum temp at which a variety of pathogens can grow.
          https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...oker-sous-vide

That page and table explains that killing bacteria is a combination of temp AND time and it contradicts the info and the link in the post above by

mountainsmoker Please accept my apology for making your post an example for why I do not think we should have a food safety channel because so many of our members are well informed, well meaning, and they still get it wrong.

We believe that the lowest safe temp for SV is 131F not 140F if and only if it is cooked long enough.

I don't believe that all meat processors have USDA (federal) inspectors. If a slaughterhouse/processor sells only locally it is not required to have a federal inspector. I believe there is a court case on this issue currently.

Also, most common food pathogens (e-coli, campylobacter, listeria, salmonella, shigella, and staph) do not form spores and spores are not a common problem for meats. The concern is that these live pathogens are on the surface and ground within. Spores are like time capsules in which pathogens sort of hibernate. Some can withstand high heat, even cooking temps. Botulism causing strains form spores. They are a problem with things packed anaerobically, especially cans and, ready for this? garlic in oil on Italian restaurant tables. Bacillus cereus also forms spores. Both are rare.

Noteworthy is that MOST foodborne illnesses are not from meat. They are from vegetables, especially leafy greens because they are served raw. Cooking is called the "kill step."

When it comes to cooking technique and recipes members should be free to disagree with the Meathead Method and I rarely get pedantic and enter debates. If you don't like dry brining, don't do it, argue against it, nobody will die. But killing members is not a good idea and it is bad for business. For this reason, I would prefer that if you have safety questions, post them on one of my articles and if I can't answer, I will consult with the expert in the bed next to me. Such appetizing pillow talk!

Comment

• mountainsmoker
            mountainsmoker commented
            Editing a comment
            Dry brining is good, nothing against it. It is done at refrigerated temps. I may have misspoke Meathead by only mentioning spores, none of them are to be messed with. So we need to take into account bacteria, spores and other food pathogens. From my research most are killed by a temp of 140 degrees, 99% at a temp of 160 and there are the very few that we will never kill during normal cooking temps.

• SMOG MAN
            SMOG MAN commented
            Editing a comment
            Meathead, Thank you for the depth of knowledge here and the way it is all presented and for your well chosen intervention. I am a much better cook because of this site.

So is that a no?

Comment

• MBMorgan
            MBMorgan commented
            Editing a comment
            👎🏿

HouseHomey I hate saying no. Make an irrefutable argument. Chances are I will squelch it anyway.

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            I got nothing other that my inability to properly articulate myself and my propensity to post while I’m in a hurry when I know better than to do so. Not a good combo. But great sir... I yield and am tapping out.

• Meathead
            Meathead commented
            Editing a comment
            HouseHomey talk abt inarticulate, my comment was not aimed at you but mountainsmoker. Sorry if I confused you.

My roommate says "All meat produced for commercial sale must be inspected. If it does not go into interstate commerce, then it does not necessarily need USDA inspection but it still needs the state authority to inspect it. If there is no state authority, then it will need USDA inspection." I have a pdf from her with the details if anyone wants it.

Comment

Meathead thanks for referencing my post. You say "
            We believe that the lowest safe temp for SV is 131F not 140F if and only if it is cooked long enough." Have you tested what long enough is. 1 hour, 3 hours, 5 hours?. I would rather be safe by going to 140 than risking my families life. SV is a new technique and I don't think it belongs in the BBQ world. If you want to use it for brisket or pulled pork the temps 131 or 140 are already above where the the smoke will adhere the most.

As far as recalls on foods there are just as many recalls on meat as there are on vegetables. I track this very carefully since I am in my 60's.

God Bless Happy 4th and keep up the good work. Look forward to the new book.

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              There are plenty of charts for proper pasteurization times for meat SV'ed at different temperatures. Its all time AND temperature, but needs to be 131F or higher regardless, from the chart Meathead shared a few posts up.

It would be nice to have a sticky with the references to the free site articles as well as links to things like the Baldwin tables or USDA pasteurization charts. I keep having to find them for folks. Though some of this changes and would have to be updated when stale.

Though I agree that a dedicated thread could be taken as gospel and that’s too risky.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
              mountainsmoker commented
              Editing a comment
              Now we are getting totally off base. Pasteurization temps are totally different from safe cooking temps of meats. It requires very high heats for Pasteurization, usually now used in milks cheese and other milk products.

• Red Man
              Red Man commented
              Editing a comment
              mountainsmoker Pasteurization does not require high temps, it can be accomplished at 131 degrees

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here