Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forum Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forum Idea

Had a thought this evening... I realize that at one time the PBC was such a new and niche cooker that one catch-all sub-forum probably worked just fine. But now years down the road (and lots more owners), has it graduated to the point that we should have one sub-forum for PBC RECIPES, and one sub-forum for the COOKER itself and maybe accessories?

When I posted my review of the new controller accessory today, I tried to scan thru the PBC sub-forum to see if anyone had already done one, and it was a bit unwieldy... all things PBC seem to be mishmashed in together.

Thoughts? Or do we already have something like this and I’m just missing it? (Very possible)

Huskee Good thought. Might be here already but I don’t actually know.

Comment

Yea this is really to be discussed with our Pit Boss Huskee. I for one don't have issues with subchannels of subchannels but if you start putting PBC recipes in it's own subchannel, that competes with the general subchannels, which would then bring out the other cooker owners whining about why their Weber kettle doesn't have its own subchannel and why stick burners don't have there's, you see my point? So now you have confusion over where to tell all future poster to exactly post their recipe.

I'm more in favor of leaving it as is, subdivided by protein types. Just label the recipe as "such and such on the PBC". As long as PBC or WSM or Weber or whatever is a keyword in the title, then it can be easily found with Advanced Search.

But I'm not the Pit Boss, those are just my thoughts on the recipe side of things.
      Last edited by Troutman; June 20, 2019, 08:39 AM.

Comment

• JeffJ
        JeffJ commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree with you. The PBC is understandably popular but like you said, so are Weber products, KBQ, kamados, etc.

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        Yea! Yoders! 😜

I agree--the current set-up can be unwieldy. However, I often adapt cooks and techniques members create on their equipment for the grills that I own. If members culinary discoveries were off in a particular subchannel, many of us may not see them and get the chance to be inspired to start morphing ideas to our own equipment and tastes.

Comment

Good idea but......... what they said.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback folks, I will defer to the wisdom of the board veterans who have weighed in here.

Secondary idea - the ability to put tags on post. Might that help with streamline forum searches, making digging up info easier?

Comment

• ofelles
            ofelles commented
            Editing a comment
            I like that idea. I get lost very easily...................of course that may be due the fun I had in the '60s

• Donw
            Donw commented
            Editing a comment
            Now that is a good idea. Love the Pit but hate the search functions which I understand is the fault of the underlying platform we use.

• gdsim1
            gdsim1 commented
            Editing a comment
            We may be on to something here fellas?

Oh @huskee... thoughts? 😊

I agree with Troutman. Nearly any recipe can be cooked on nearly any cooker, PBC, kettle, PK, etc. So no need to differentiate PBC recipes from PBC general talk, just label it like he suggests. If it's a rib recipe, place it in pork, since that recipe may have been cooked on a PBC but it most likely can be cooked on someone's kettle too and be just as tasty. But if the topic is specific to the PBC, such as temp control on it, or PBC accessories, please place it in Grills and Smokers > Charcoal > Drum Cookers > PBC. Whatever the topic best fits in.

Also, gdsim1 you can place tags on new topics, and yes that will help with organization & search function.

Click image for larger version  Name:	tags.JPG Views:	1 Size:	49.8 KB ID:	699854

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            gdsim1 Find the search box, click the little black down-arrow, then select Advanced Search. (Advanced Search is your friend, learn to use it here, it will save you some frustration!) On the Advanced Search page you'll notice the 3rd field is Tags. You can search a tag or select from some tags that have already been used by clicking the "popular tags" link.

• gdsim1
            gdsim1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for the tips Huskee, very much appreciated. 👍

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            My pleasure gdsim1

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here