Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pitmaster club is not for me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Give it a chance and I'm sticking my neck out to say you'll be here after the trail period.

It's not possible to put a price on the invaluable resources in the PIT.
    Last edited by holehogg; April 14, 2019, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Please stick around; I don't think you'll be disappointed. I was skeptical at first too, but the Pit gets two things right that most of these groups get wrong. First, there is much more of a sense that the goal is to help other members do their best job with their cooks as opposed to playing que es mas macho and showing off. Which leads to the second point: it doesn't matter if you have 10,000 posts or 1, you can make a positive contribution that is interesting and useful.

Comment

Wcome! As you can see we are passionate about the Pit. We'd love for you to stick around a bit.

The "Amazing" part about the Pit is you can ask Question and immediately start getting answers. You will never have to wade through anything if you don't want to. This is invaluable if you have a question in the middle of a cook. Just start the question with HELP! and you'll be amazed with the response.

Enjoy you're trial. Browse some pics if you'd like.

Comment

I just renewed for my 2nd year. The Pit is invaluable to me. I’m a rookie at smoking food and I’ve asked a lot of questions. A lot! There’s nothing more reassuring than being in the middle of a long cook and your food is not getting to temp, and asking the group what I did wrong and how do I fix it.
          And occasdionally I can answer a question and pass it forward. This group has improved my cooking abilities 10 fold in the last year. Get involved and give it a chance.

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Ya, well just know that everybody has limits to the question thing, ya know. You have 17 left then we’ll have to renegotiate. 🕶

• JimLinebarger
            JimLinebarger commented
            Editing a comment
            FireMan I was told by Huskee that I had 3 questions and the first 2 don't count.

Welcome . Give it try , We all learn from one another , People are very friendly and love to help others succeed . We all have gotten better at what we do because we are members .

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s easy for you to say. 🕶

• BRic
            BRic commented
            Editing a comment
            Fireman I tried .

Guys & gals, I think he's absolutely right- our Pitmaster Club forum is not for him. Let's let him leave in peace.

Thanks to all others for your nice words!

Comment

• gcdmd
            gcdmd commented
            Editing a comment
            I see he is now listed as a "Former Member," probably for the best.

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Sometimes I am thrown for a loop, as many of us are probably, at folks who show up and start the negativity & the insults instantly. I don't get it. Thankfully it's rare here. Rarer 'n boiled ribs. gcdmd

• gcdmd
            gcdmd commented
            Editing a comment
            I guess they get us confused with the political boards. They don't realize that the objective here is to talk about things that bring us together, rather than the ones that pull us apart.

HawkerXP I appreciate your friendly interaction here. I’m sure I’m not the only one.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes - I saw the very rude comment today to a post from HawkerXP and really had to bite my tongue. I didn't want to say something that would get me banned from the Pit!

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah jfmorris ya gotta watch that guy like a hawk!

I can hear the groans from here. 🕶

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            Ahhhhh! FireMan I probably said something he didn't understand jfmorris and our new friend took offense. It happens.

Hi David32. I thought the same thing until I was out for a year or so. I am glad to be back in and it is an inexpensive way to see what pros and amateurs are doing with the smokers, grills, and other cooking devices. Hope you find something in here that makes you feel good about your hanging around.

Comment

Sorry to hear, man. I've done a lot of forum hopping, and to me, they cannot hold a candle to this one. AR is way more organized in my opinion, but to each their own. My trial ends today so I guess I'm gonna have to pony-up the cash!

Comment

I think there's one very basic thing the forum could do in order to be more welcoming to new people...

Re-arrange the sections.

Right now you have to scroll past a ton of stuff to get to the main topics.

You have 1) user manual, 2) announce yourself, 3) special deals, 4)book excerpts, 5) sneak preview, 6) The Pitcast, 7) AV stuff, 8) Newsletter archive, 9)cartoons and then 10) Offtopic... ALL of them before the, er, meat of the Pit, the sections were we talk about grills and smokers, accessories, kind of food, etc.

TEN sections of miscellaneous stuff, most of it of no real interest to someone new... before getting to the heart of the Pit. This is just bad information architecture. Put your important stuff first.

Secondarily, redo the menu bar to jump to the key sections. Most of us don't need to have quick access there to the member list, who's online etc. Put those in the footer (or a single dropdown) and have it be:

"Home | Equipment | Accessories | Recipes and Technique |Other (dropdown with the rest or a selection of the rest)"

Comment

• Cheef
                Cheef commented
                Editing a comment
                Well? SOUNDS like a good idea in theory BUT tell the truth I hate change!
                I'm good with whatever but I HATE CHANGE.
                I personally feel newbies should take the time to adapt and assimilate or--say a gracious good bye.
                That's just my own opinion though and I am known to be grumpy.

• rickgregory
                rickgregory commented
                Editing a comment
                The only people who never change... are dead.

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                Or they smell. Same difference I guess. 🕶

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here