Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'd love to see a crowd sharing forum...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd love to see a crowd sharing forum...

maybe segmented by location, region? but a forum for folks to crowd-share meat buys from local farmers...

I can't use $1,200 of a whole pig, but I'm sure 3-5 other would love to chip in to split it up...
    Great opportunity to showcase how AmazingRibs.com supports local growers - and obviously we're all happy because we get the meats!

so - this isn't about renting a cow, it's about sharing meat pricing!

here's an example from a cow-share site:
    • WHOLE COW
    • approx 350 lbs* (80 lbs of steak, 110 lbs of roasts & braising meats, 120 lbs of ground beef, and 40 lbs of offal and bones)
    • Custom cutting available
    • Cow skull if available
    • Cost: $4,000.00 ($2,000 deposit)
    Attached Files
    Yes, I'd crowd share meat purchases
    22.22%
    maybe, depending on the costs
    25.93%
    nope - I don't buy enough to buy in bulk
    48.15%
    let me think about it...
    3.70%
    Last edited by Toadster; March 18, 2019, 01:43 PM.

Comment

My wife doesn't think beef is healthy, so I voted no. I could probably buy meat from one of my cousins who raises and butchers their own beef and pork if I wanted. He rented a "wagyu bull" this year, but it will be two years before there is any beef from the offspring. I used quotation marks because he didn't know anything more about the bull.

Comment

I’m not opposed to people trying, but I’ve been down this road before with friends and family. Everyone of course wanted the prime cuts for themselves and we had to almost force people to get more of the lesser used cuts and hamburger. I’m happier now buying what I want through the online shops or at the local butcher. It costs more generally but the lack of stress and strife is worth it to me.

Comment

• Toadster
        Toadster commented
        Editing a comment
        maybe i'm off in my quest, I'm not renting cows but actually splitting up butcher cuts equally amongst members...

• Donw
        Donw commented
        Editing a comment
        That is a good path to take. Around here the CSA’s do pre-selected share boxes so you know what you will be buying. Different share boxes have different prices based on the cuts included. That seems to work out okay.

I went in with 3 other guys some years ago and got a cow. The kids were at home then, so it worked out good. Now it is just me and the wife, so I really can't justify it.

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Eat more!

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        FireMan, I hadn't thought of that. Bring on the cow.

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        Mmmmooooooooo!

There's so little discussion on this right now that I don't think it warrants its own channel. You could just use the "Member Reviews > Butchers & Meat Suppliers > [Location]" channel system that is already in place if you'd like to post on this.

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Or get a miniature cow & put it in your yard.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I have one of those, he’s known as a Great Dane .....

Donw Similar problems as you mentioned.

Experience I had is that they send the cow to a commercial processor who only does standard processing, which means each brisket is cut into 4 pieces, all the steaks are small and all the roasts max out at 2-3 lbs. even the ribs were all subdivided. They turned pretty much everything into ground. No offal or fat included and limited bones included. Not exactly what I expected when getting a "whole" cow.

Comment

• Backroadmeats
        Backroadmeats commented
        Editing a comment
        You need to find a small custom processing business that can connect you to a butcher that has connections with local farmers.. alot of the cuts people cook on this site are specialty cuts..I have cut alot of beef up and never once had anyone keep the brisket . Always goes into burger..never cut a trip tip..that being said if I were to cut up a beef for ya I would give ya every bone in it if that's what you were looking for. I know this can be hard to find if ya live in a city ..

My actual thinking is torn between "yes" and "depending on cost", but I voted yes since multiple choices aren't possible. My choice might also be influenced by the "evenness" of the share as regards "quality" cuts.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
        There's so little discussion on this right now that I don't think it warrants its own channel. You could just use the "Member Reviews > Butchers & Meat Suppliers > [Location]" channel system that is already in place if you'd like to post on this.
        good idea!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here