Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advertisers with expired certificates on their web sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advertisers with expired certificates on their web sites

Lately (the last few weeks) I've been seeing more and more occasions where IE is blocking a web page on the Amazing Ribs site from displaying content with security certificate errors (expired or non-existent certificates). While they can either be shown or not, it means one of your rotating advertisers is being sloppy with their web pages (I know the errors aren't coming from AR). Haven't been able to pin which advertiser, but it's probably something you should get the seller of advertising space for your web site to crack down on with the advertisers. With all the viruses floating around, it's just not a good practice to allow the content to be shown. (And it's just as much a pain as seeing the web pages viewed banner for a non-member of The Pit).

Best regards,
    Jim

First of all, if you are logged into The Pit, you should not be seeing reminders to join. All those ads should disappear. Just login and they will disappear. Occasionally the system will log you out because it cannot handle the load of inactive users. Maybe once a week? Just login and you are safe!

We us well-respected ad networks, but i have been reading in trade mags that their screening software is not as good as we thought. I will fire a network in a heartbeat if I could catch them feeding an unsafe ad. If it happens again, see if you can help me catch the transgressors! We would love to replace the rotating advertisers with permanent trustworthy sponsors. Working on it.

BTW, my IT guys tell me that IE is the world's worst browser and it is well known for false alarms on security issues.

Comment

• FLBuckeye
      FLBuckeye commented
      Editing a comment
      IE has major security issues. I would stay away from it all together. Too many better options to choose from

That's a really great solution for the typical home user. Unfortunately, not an answer for many members of the business community.

Many businesses rely on Microsoft products such as Sharepoint, Remote Desktop, etc. Whether MS didn't release the coding tricks necessary, or the folks at Google, Mozilla and Apple just elected not to program the interfaces, many of the MS products won't function correctly with any browser other than IE. Sometimes, even IE gets ahead (IE11 won't work with some of the MS server products without kicking it back to "compatibility mode".)

Since I'm an IT guy with a lot of experience (40 + years - was VP of IT at U-Haul 25 years ago), I've been dealing with issues in products for my entire career.

I also know that people (including me)would rather use one product, not several. It's too hard to remember which one to use and when.

Since many of my customers have to use IE, I do so as well. IME, the rap about security for IE is not valid. Every other product has the same issue with security. I think I've seen more viruses get through Chrome than IE over the years (including at the present)

Meathead, I'm trying to identify which ad actually pops up the message at present, but with the rotating ads, it's difficult to pin it down. I'll keep trying.

BTW, personally, I have no problems with the "pages viewed" ad. I don't ever see it when I'm logged in. I was just commenting that having the message come up about security all the time is an irritant. I perfectly understand your strategy vis-a-vis getting people to join. For me, this site is just like many "free" products I've used over the years. I think that if I make use of something, and they need some funds to keep it going, I'm more than happy to make a contribution. In the case of AmazingRibs, that was a no brainer. This site is a high value, content rich environment. Making everyone eat better (food that isn't over or under cooked) is extremely valuable to me, and I would think most everyone else that comes across your site.

Best regards,
    Jim

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here