Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you guys think of this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you guys think of this?

My suggestion would be for a Member of the month, or perhaps more appropriately Pitmaster of the month topic. It's been a regular feature of some other forums that I have been a part of and think it would be a nice addition to the site.

Basically, every month one member is chosen by either the staff, or as voted on by the regular members here. No voting for yourself. Then whoever is chosen fills out a short interview to be written up and posted by whoever wants to maintain that topic(I would be willing to do the interviews and write-ups if you want).

I think this would be a good way to get to know some of our fellow members a bit better. Background information how you got into BBQ and this website, hobbies or other interests. Things like that.

I suppose it could also be tied to the gold medal giveaways each month, as a way to recognize members who benefit the community at large with their helpfulness and knowledge. Anyway that's just something that popped into my head as I was typing this it wouldn't have to be tied in with that perk.

Ok so that's my suggestion in a nutshell. If you guys think this is a good idea and something that would benefit the site let me know.

-Joel

I think its an interesting idea. I need to give it some thought but at first glance I do see some issues with it.

I'm honestly not sure. While I would support this if the powers to be were behind it. I would rather be a worker then a participant.

I personally would not want to be a member of the month but would totally support those that were. I guess as long as you can opt out. If thats the case I don't want to give up my chance to randomly win something....

Oh but you can interview me if you want. We can skype up a pod cast maybe.... but I'm kinda boring.

Last edited by Jon Solberg; July 31, 2014, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Interesting idea. The powers that be are mulling it over.

Comment

I have noticed, on the Pitmaster's Forum, that members here do a better job filling out their Bios and Sig's better than most of my other forums that I am on. But, a lot of folks are not really interested in filling out their info.

That being said, the member of the month sure expands the info that we have on a member and who they are, where they have been, and what they are doing. I enjoy the MOM on some of my forums and on others it makes no sense who they pick. Sometimes they have nominations from the membership on who they thing it should be then the moderators get together and select 5-6 and put out their Bios and have the membership vote on who they think it should be. There is a variety of ways to do it. Maybe our forum will come up with something innovative on a Member of the Month program.

Comment

I like the idea. As we're thinking it over would like more folks to weigh in on this with thoughts on who the MOM should be. Should it be the Gold Medal Giveaway winner or should some other criteria be used?

Comment

• Jon Solberg
            Jon Solberg commented
            Editing a comment
            I kinda like this idea. Theres already a process this way

• fredcanfly
            fredcanfly commented
            Editing a comment
            I feel like it should be a contributing member that community would like to know more about. It should be separate from the GMG winner. That way, those who don't really want to participate in the MOM can still win the GMG. Just my two cents...

Glad you like the idea David. The Gold Medal Giveaway was sort of an afterthought to my original idea. That being said, I think that the GMG should go to an active, contributing member of the forum.

Would MOM be a good way to ensure that is what happens? Yes I believe it is.

Is it the only way? Absolutely not.

Consider if the two were tied together this might encourage those who are more inclined to "lurk" for lack of a better term, to take a more participatory role in these forums.

I think that maybe if a member was chosen as member of the month and chose not to participate that would be ok. We could just say that member X has declined to participate in the interview but look at this great prize he/she has won. Keep in mind that when I said interview above what I had in mind was an fun, interesting and entertaining set of questions to help us get to know that person a little better. It's not like we would be asking you about your deepest personal secrets or anything like that. Also you could always just decline to answer a particular question. Hopefully I've been able to explain this adequately.

And lastly Jon, I sincerely doubt that anyone as active as yourself on these forums could be considered, by any measure, to be a boring person.

Respectfully,

Joel

Comment

Originally posted by Jmoscrip View Post
            Glad you like the idea David. The Gold Medal Giveaway was sort of an afterthought to my original idea. That being said, I think that the GMG should go to an active, contributing member of the forum.

Would MOM be a good way to ensure that is what happens? Yes I believe it is.

Is it the only way? Absolutely not.

Consider if the two were tied together this might encourage those who are more inclined to "lurk" for lack of a better term, to take a more participatory role in these forums.

I think that maybe if a member was chosen as member of the month and chose not to participate that would be ok. We could just say that member X has declined to participate in the interview but look at this great prize he/she has won. Keep in mind that when I said interview above what I had in mind was an fun, interesting and entertaining set of questions to help us get to know that person a little better. It's not like we would be asking you about your deepest personal secrets or anything like that. Also you could always just decline to answer a particular question. Hopefully I've been able to explain this adequately.

And lastly Jon, I sincerely doubt that anyone as active as yourself on these forums could be considered, by any measure, to be a boring person.

Respectfully,

Joel

The GMG is a random selection chosen by a third party sweepstakes company. That's a promise we've made to all members. GMG isn't based on participation in the forum. So really this discussion is more along the lines of should the MOM be the GMG by default or should we pick a MOM based on his/her participation in the forum. I'm inclined to the latter. The MOM should be picked by the forum to recognize the forum member that's been an outstanding contributor. Let's keep the discussion going.

Comment

Ah, well that does change things a bit. In that case David I'm with you that the two things should be separate and MOM should go to the person you feel most deserving of it. Rather than someone picked by luck of the draw as it were.

-Joel

Comment

Definitely with Joel on this one. Our MOM needs to be someone who participates and is deserving. We also need to consider how often we would let a member win the MOM. Would definitely like to see it be more than just a handful winning all the time, but wouldn't want it to be a thing where if you win once, you are not able to again. That balance is going to be dificult to find. Well, maybe not in this community. We have so many active members who are passionate about their "Q" that we may not need to restrict it at all...

Comment

Some questions, more rhetorical than anything.

Will this be managed by committee?

Will there be a criteria for MOM?

How will selection/nomination take place?

How will election take place?

While I have no desire to be a MOM (that sound funny) I'm more than happy to help with any work that needs to be done to insure success.

Comment

• boftx
                    boftx commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I agree. Just one has been called a "mother" at times doesn't mean one wants to be a MOM.

• fredcanfly
                    fredcanfly commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think if we had a community vote, then that would be the way to go. As for how the election takes place, we could start it on the first and go until the 28th of each month. Whoever gets the most votes, wins. I don't know how this forum is set up as far as voting capabilities are concerned, but maybe a simple voting thread would do it. Or a preliminary vote by the 10th of each month and then take the top five and put them to a vote until the 28th (gives time to tally, and possibly even do the interview by the first). That would probably work even better. Again, just my opinion...

Originally posted by fredcanfly View Post
                  Definitely with Joel on this one. Our MOM needs to be someone who participates and is deserving. We also need to consider how often we would let a member win the MOM. Would definitely like to see it be more than just a handful winning all the time, but wouldn't want it to be a thing where if you win once, you are not able to again. That balance is going to be dificult to find. Well, maybe not in this community. We have so many active members who are passionate about their "Q" that we may not need to restrict it at all...
                  How about each member can win one time per year?

Comment

• boftx
                    boftx commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I wouldn't worry too much about "term limits" but I can see where having the same person win time after time could/would kill forum activity. So yes, overall I would agree with once per year.

As for tying it in with the GMG that is an immediate non-starter for me.

• fredcanfly
                    fredcanfly commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That would probably do it...

Jmoscrip as this is your baby so to speak how can I help.

For the sake of keeping this alive I'm going to raise my hand and if all agree, offer to start framing up some type of criteria, guidelines, nomination process, something for all to respond to. Not sure what that is but something. More than likely start gleaning stuff and refiguring it.

Not at all trying to drive the development just to help facilitate it.

Thoughts/direction anyone?
                  Last edited by Jon Solberg; August 6, 2014, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Jon that's awesome and much appreciated. Can you coordinate with Joel? I get the feeling he'd like to work on it as well. Ideally we'd spread responsibilities over a few people so it stays fun and doesn't feel like work.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
                      Jon Solberg commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Got it On it. Will keep all looped in.

I think the guys spearheading this idea are first on the nomination list

Comment

• Jon Solberg
                      Jon Solberg commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Agreed, I hear by nominate Joel aka Jmoscrip for inaugural MOM.

( dang, I need to brush up on my Roberts Rules of Order perhaps)

HHhmmmm, The PIT is a democratic group??? Interesting.

I think that the MOM and the GMG should be seperate.

I think that Jon and Joel should be commended for volunteering to come up with some guidelines for the awards/recognitions.

Like in Roberts Rules of Order (current revised edition), They, Jon and Joel, would be the nucleus of an Ad Hoc Committee to explore the criteria for the MOM. ( Huskee, once upon a time in another universe I was fairly familiar with RRoO)

Comment

• Jon Solberg
                      Jon Solberg commented
                      Editing a comment
                      lol lol lol

Thank you for the kind words Barry. Keep in mind this is Joel baby. I'm just a worker bee

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here