Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to know where to post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to know where to post

Maybe it's just me, but just about every time I've sent a pm, I'm told to put it in the forum and every time I put something in the forum, I'm told I've put it in the wrong place. I'm with Jon, this site can be very daunting and it seems there's a lot of not so nice attitude by moderators. I understand you're quite familiar with the site as you've built it and tweeted it and know every bit that's been added as it's been added, but me, I try to come to the site at least once a week, like a college class, and learn as much as I can, but it's a lot to take in. I think a little less attitude and a bit more friendly guidance is in order. How about a little more guidance on where to post stuff and how to find it. I've read through the pit boss homework and beginners guide, follow those rules and still get told off, so I have no idea where I'm going wrong, but frustrating and daunting I don't think are the words you want associated with your site.

I haven't used pm very often so o can't speak to that. But when I post something and the mods think it should be somewhere else, they just move/redirect it. I have never gotten any attitude about it. My suggestion to you would be to post to the own forum as much add possible and leave pm-ing for unusual situations where you need to follow up with a particular member on their response to your post. Post your question where you think it being, and if the moderator wants it somewhere else, it will get redirected. DEW

Comment

Yeah I also notice that a lot of my posts get redirected and it's always by the same moderators

Comment

One of the main things I learned teaching online classes for UOP is that a statement online can very easliy be misconstrued as "attitude" due to not being able to see/interact with the person making the statement. I'm sure the "attitude" you are experiencing is simply a moderator trying to effectively and efficiently handle the tons of posts/questions that hit the site each day. I come to the pit daily and try to read the "today's posts" and it takes a lot of time just to do that. The moderators are here to keep things flowing as well as possible, so just keep coming back to the site, post where you think you should post, and keep learning. That's what this site is all about. If they move your post, take note and remember it for next time. Eventually, you'll be an expert navigating the site, but even then you will probably have a few issues just due to the sheer volume of info this place has to offer.

Comment

Stacey, sorry you feel you've experienced attitude, that is never our intent. As others have alluded to, just go the main "The Pit" tab (upper-left) and find where your topic best fits- whether it's a suggestion or help needed (like here) or help with ribs, let's say, that would go in the Recipes>Pork, etc. Pics of your shiny new Weber grill, let's say, would go in Grills/Smokers>charcoal, etc. If a topic gets placed in an area where a mod thinks it doesn't fit best, we'll move it, it's no problem at all.

Your post from a few days ago was on the public Disqus pages, but it was about The Pit here, so that type of question is best placed here not there. The main site AmazingRibs.com site is public, and this is the membership division, they are separate animals.

I do not remember seeing any other posts from you looking for help, so when you say "just about every time I've sent a pm, I'm told to put it in the forum and every time I put something in the forum, I'm told I've put it in the wrong place." that confuses us a little bit. I haven't gotten any PMs from you, sorry for your trouble there.

We're having technical trouble with the "albums" & "special" locations, where you originally posted some pictures. This is something that's been a tech issue for a while now, so you're welcome to place any post you want in the other appropriate channels like described. We hope to be able to roll over to a new version of vBulletin (the engine that powers The Pit) soon, and we're optimistic that some of these little issues will be history at that time.

Remember, black & white text, when read, can have any emotion or attitude implied even if it wasn't composed with that intent. We're all here to help!
          Last edited by Huskee; January 29, 2015, 11:43 AM.

Comment

The first two tabs I click on when I come to The Pit are "Today's Posts" this just gives you an idea of what people are talking about. Then I click on the "The Pit" (right above todays posts) Then I check out the General discussion. You can find all of the smaller topic stuff there, as well as, where your post(s) may have been moved too. The Pit search bar is also a good way to find your past posts as well. This site is daunting, huge and packed with info so it can be confusing, like wondering through a huge metroplex during rush hour. It just takes a little bit of time to get use to how the site works and where stuff is.

Believe me, the moderators here are here to help you and to make the site flow. That won't happen if everyone is pissed off at them and they know that, I'm sure that any negativity you may have received, was not done with malice. We have a really good group of people here that are more than wiling to help. I am sure that I speak for many members in The Pit when I say how much the moderators, fellow Pit members and the site as whole have helped me, and I am sure that once you learn your way around The Pit a bit, this will be the case for you as well. Look forward to hearing more from you.

-John

Comment

Movement of a thread is done for two reasons:

a. If someone has a more expensive pit than me kidding. I'd have to move Pit Boss and Huskee's posts constantly.

1. To keep the General Section uncluttered with threads that fit elsewhere
              2. To have threads in the right section, so that when someone wants to search something specific, without using the search function, most threads should be where they can be found. (e.g. A Thread on ham in Porknography)

FYI- I've moved more than one thread that I had already responded to, and realized later it would be a better fit somewhere else.

Now, off to cutting grass in January.
              Last edited by Jerod Broussard; January 29, 2015, 02:49 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                I wish I had that problem in January.

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeh, I guess it beats shoveling snow.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here