Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone interested in a chat room?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone interested in a chat room?

One forum I visit a little has a "shout box" that displays a few lines at the top of the page, and you can expand it to larger, or open it in a new tab full size if you like.

I have been an internet forum hopper for nearly 3 decades, but got my start in chat rooms - mainly mIRC way back in the day, and used MSN Messenger some, as well. But I was thinking, a chat room might be a cool way for some of us to interact a little more on a drop-in basis, get to know each other on a more personal level, and it's instant response, instead of having to check threads over and over.

I like the idea of a Meat-n-Greet chatroom (cripes, that could be really taken the wrong way in this day and age!) kinda thing. Anyone else interested? I'm not sure if it's even feasible on the site, just thought I'd bring it up.

It would be even easier to use chat software "Discord" to set up a free chat server. Gamers use this all the time. Very powerful (even allows video calls) and free.

Comment

FWIW, a forum I used to moderate added the chat room feature you speak of. What happened is the forum died because the regulars stopped posting and started chatting which led to search engines not reporting the site back etc... Facebook was the final straw and eventually membership wasn't attainable. Site was setup similar to this where paid members funded the web hosting and such, but we had the majority of the forum available on the free side. Didn't matter, forum post count went down and the new members trickled down faster than we would have ever suspected, subscriptions stopped and we went to non-sustainable.

Now this is a MUCH larger community, we only had maybe 500 paid members at our high point and this site has many reasons to sustain paid membership, but just something to think of. I don't want to rain on your parade, I did like the chat feature but it directly led to the dissolution of my on-line community.

Comment

• surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep...similar experience. It’s all great and then it’s gone. :-/
        The one I belonged to was music related... Started off strong...but because people have lives outside of "pick topic" the "chat" not only slows down but the posts did as well... IDK, sounds like a good idea on paper...but perhaps not so much in practice.

• surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh yeah...and search engines never seemed to find it. The death knell of online communities.

Well, I'm open to other ideas. I just like the idea of actually chatting with people. I'm going to look into Discord, I don't know anything about it.

Comment

Ok, I made a server on Discord. You can join as temps or make a permanent nickname, I believe. This link is set to never expire, I guess.

Discord is the easiest way to communicate over voice, video, and text. Chat, hang out, and stay close with your friends and communities.

It seems like an interesting service. We'll see how it goes, if anyone wants to hang out and chat, you can even do it on your phone, too. I like the idea of realtime, but that's just me.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
          Editing a comment
          Disco is a good service, we use it for a few communities I'm in.

I am not a server/forum/hopper/software geek. I thought as far as ’talkin to one anotherl’, I thought that’s what this is & works mighty fine fer me. I never thought of myself as a chatty guy anyways.
        By observance & maybe ignorance, I didn’t know there was anything else needed. If "it" added to the AR experience that exists "it" maybe, should be considered. But, and a big butt "this" is, if "it" diminished the AR experience we now have, than I vote 👎 in the poll.

Comment

• johnec00
          johnec00 commented
          Editing a comment
          +1

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m With you on this one FireMan

I popped in there, fer a few...
        Exchanged pleasantries, then went back to business...
        No Deities killed any puppies...

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Likewise. We'll see.

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          No deities & puppies eh? Hmmmm. 🤔

It's no biggie, I'm just hanging out in there, I'll come and go over time, and we'll see if it strikes anyone as cool.

Comment

I joined up. My discord is always open anyway. Its almost a forum software in it's own right, although I wouldn't use it for that. I think the biggest thing it brings to the table is the ability to have a voice chatroom, where you could actually TALK to one another. Maybe set up a time to talk about a specific subject. Could be fun!

edit: Just to be clear, it's currently set up with one text channel only, but more can be added.

Comment

Discord would be great. Can have voice rooms and posts.

Comment

Except that it's suddenly gone...

Comment

just a word of caution
                Real time conversations are great but forums without tons on ongoing threads soon fade
                Would the number of forum posts decrease if side realtime conversations were popular ? Just asking for a friend
                Facebook has just about wiped out most of the competition bbq related forums
                Content fresh content brings new members which brings health to the forum

Comment

I don't see it diminishing things. It has actually brought me here more, personally, and I tab back and forth. I think it can help bring us more together. Of course, anyone who doesn't like chatting, won't participate. I put up a voice channel now, too, for those who want to actually chat instead of type. lol I don't have a mic or anything though, and I usually keep my speakers muted because I am in the family room. Maybe if I set up my laptop on my recliner I might plug in some headphones, but I still only have my XboxOne headset - I don't think that will work.

Either way, I logged back in this morning (was not there yesterday at all) to find the room/server still existed, which pleased me. lol.

Comment

Since saying nothing accomplishes nothing, I'll go on record as having zero interest in a chat room ... sorry ...

Comment

I'm with MBMorgan, just not interested.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here