Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dietary Restrictions thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dietary Restrictions thread

Just reminding you guys about a possible Dietary Restrictions thread

-wife's dietaryI actually originally started making my own sauces in order to accommodate my ex-wife's dietary restrictions.

Comment

• smarkley
      smarkley commented
      Editing a comment
      Good stuff... that kind of thing needs to be noted here!

Steveo start one in general and see where it goes.

Comment

Let me know if I can help with this. I've cooked a lot for restrictive diets. I would love to see other folks approach to these issues. I think with a good 'ol Amazing Ribs collaboration, great things can be done.

Comment

We would have to make it VERY clear that this thread would be about home recipes and substitutions, and never ever approach fad diet, medical advice, or the proverbial "snake oil" territory. Meathead is very firm on his stance of steering clear of the ever-changing topic of what is "healthy", and since no one here is in a position to offer health advice, and this is not a "health" website, it is a slippery slope.

Begin a topic in General Discussion. Keep the above rules in mind, and if we can keep things in check and get a lot of middle of the road discussions/tips/tricks it may find itself as a channel of its own. May.

Comment

• Strat50
          Strat50 commented
          Editing a comment
          I totally agree. There's enough idiotic fad dieters and adherents of some philosophical nether world of their own creation enough. I'm thinking of simple things to improve one's food using simple, sound, and tasty ideas. A good example: some are limited in their fat intake due to some health issue. The same holds true with sodium, etc. The idea is to use "Q" techniques and flavor profiles so folks don't have to just eat bland crap. Another example: My wife has diabetes, so I frequently have to think of ways to make tasty food without a lot of sugar or overly starchy. These are my thoughts on this.

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
        We would have to make it VERY clear that this thread would be about home recipes and substitutions, and never ever approach fad diet, medical advice, or the proverbial "snake oil" territory. Meathead is very firm on his stance of steering clear of the ever-changing topic of what is "healthy", and since no one here is in a position to offer health advice, and this is not a "health" website, it is a slippery slope.
        I agree with Huskee here, and want to further clarify these recipes would have to be intended to make the best of a limiting situation (no salt, no sugar), and they do NOT promote one way of cooking as being more healthy. Here are a few good examples:

1) Brisket recipe with low/no salt
        2) Pork Ribs recipe with no/low sugar

Bad Examples:
        1) Healthy brisket recipe with low salt
        2) Good for you Ribs recipe without the sugar

I know it's semantics but it's the spirit of the title that really speaks to how this could be OK and how this wouldn't work here in The Pit.

I'd also suggest just putting these recipes in the recipes and techniques section and clearly stating the dietary restriction in the title. They'll be searchable.

Wouldn't you rather go to the beef channel and find a low salt variant of a brisket cook rather than go to an "all in one" channel that has all kinds of different meat/veggies/etc... with no rhyme or reason to the layout?

Comment

PB and Huskee, I see what you guys are talking about... it is a slippery slope. And yes the recipe section sounds like a good way to go.

Personally I am interested in sauces that feature low/no salt solutions, but I know there are others out there. Someone awhile back was looking for no sugar solutions. Finding them in the recipe section sounds good.

Thanks for weighing in on this

Comment

What about "seefood" diets?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here