Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Serving Spam to Pit Members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serving Spam to Pit Members

I’m a fan of Spam... at least the kind out of the can. I am not of fan of the electronic variety though.

I’m completely ok with AR trying to bolster paid membership in their quest to keep the site free... I get it!

As a paying charter member I’m not ok though with getting Spam mail from AR asking me to join the Pitmaster’s Club (or share it with friends and family).

Since one of the first things we are told in the canned welcome response from an admin is to add AR to our contacts so emails don’t filter to junk mail then I would trust AR not to send us junk mail.

I hope this is a one off thing and it doesn’t become a regular plea of desperation for more members that continues to hit my inbox.

Also I’m not sure of the stats but don’t spend all of your resources on new member recruitment... you need to also focus on loyal active member retention.

Just a thought.

Click image for larger version

Name:	B1C28680-D4D3-42BA-A9C4-C5F1DF730802.jpeg
Views:	210
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	552690

I did not get that email. The Smoke Signals, which I'm subscribed to, arrived this morning.

Comment

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      It came in at 8:32 pm yesterday for me. Got signals this morning.

• GBA
      GBA commented
      Editing a comment
      Got it, put into spam folder!

I didn't get that email either. How hard is it to mark the email as spam if you do not want to receive any further emails,, instead of wasting 20 mins writing a post and 2 mins of everyone else who has to read it.

Comment

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker I guess it is a matter of opinion and semantics. The tone of your comments coupled with your last statement implies that I can’t comprehend as well and can be seen as a personal attack or insulting too.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Interpret it how you like, I didn't attack you personally nor did Ahumadora. Either way, I am not going to argue with you. You know the rules. Please try to follow them. That is all we ask. Nate

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      remember, one of the pit commandments.....
      no flaming, just have fun!

Any chance you have more than one email address and that is not the one you have registered? Does seem odd, I haven't been served.....

Comment

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah i made sure it wasn’t my other email account.

I got the same letter and I was also a little annoyed. I’m sure they sent it out to their whole free side mailing list and didn’t or don’t have the ability to easily cross check against the paid list. It’s not the end of the world.

Comment

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree... just trying to see if they have a fix.

I spoke to soon, I've been served
    Some varmits musta gotten into the pit, who left the gate open?

Comment

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      When I’m served Spam I prefer it in sandwich form: One slice fried on a piece of white bread that has been torn in half to make the top and bottom of the sandwich with some ketchup and a couple dill pickle slices.

Last edited by smokenoob; August 22, 2018, 06:25 AM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL! Always a fave, an a Classic!
      Thanks fer th laughs, Brother!

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Classic!

• dahcopilot
      dahcopilot commented
      Editing a comment
      damm, now i need a sandwich!

Two comments to this thread:
    1. I got the email invitation to join, and I couldn't care less. Like it or not, this website is a business and attracting new members is a valid part of their business model.
    2. The email was NOT sent to the email address that is currently on file for my membership. It was addressed to another address.
    Let's discuss bbq, smoking, food, grilling, etc. and quit worrying about nits.

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!!

0 Thank you. Yes, we are a business. An expensive business to run. We have 4 full timers and about 8 part timers, many of whom spend more than 20 hours per week on this site. Hosting, programming (we spent $200,000 on software dev last year) buying products to test, food, charcoal, etc. We do not have a large corporate parent. Without memberships we would go out of business.

We no longer accept ads in our newsletters. We no longer send out newsletters sponsored by a "partner" as do so many websites. We have never accepted sponsored pages. Last week we reduced the number of paid ads on the site by 2.

Last month we rolled out this new 30 day free trial system (it cost a LOT to set up), and I hope you will forgive us for inviting people to try The Pit. Not only is membership crucial to our survival, I think the more members the merrier. And the more members the sooner we can have a national Meat-Up. Now go out and tell your friends about the 30 day free trial!

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      The only problem I have is that new members reduce my chances on the Gold Medal Giveaway! On the other hand, that is offset by the many new friends I get, so that's kind of a wash, or maybe even a tilt toward the positive.

Mine got filtered out as spam. Didn't notice it until I looked. I guess if you're going to send spam maybe just don't say you won't.

Comment

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      As I say above I do not consider inviting members to invite friends to try membership free for 30 days spam. Can you find another example of us sending spam?

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Fair enough. Personally I consider unsolicited promotional emails spam, and right or wrong others will too. However my suggestion was sincere. If you removed the no spam language nobody can complain. I really don't mind "spam" from AR.com. I also think a sticky thread would be a good way to get the message across.

We use MailChimp at my company to reach out to our customers. If ConstantContact is similar, there's a one click unsubscribe link. Seems simple enough to me.

I think I'll forward it to some friends who are into BBQ. I've been meaning to tell them about AR and a 30 day free trial is a good deal.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Capn, n N227GB I asked that a long time back, not sure I ever got an answer... now I understand th association.

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      We do not send spam. If you unsubscribe because ONCE we told you about our new free 20 day trial membership you will not get any of our other emails some of which might be useful. Sheesh.

• N227GB
      N227GB commented
      Editing a comment
      Gotcha Meathead I didn't realize that. It would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater. And I'll be clear, I don't think this is spam because like I said I've forwarded it to friends.

I've got little or no problem with the site sending out 1 or 2 emails concerning whatever in a month's time. My gosh I have 4 email accounts (not going to go into why) and I probably get 200-300 garbage emails each and every day (unvarnished term for Spam which I think is horrible to eat so good that it's equated with garbage, but that's a whole other post). Just unsubscribe, mark as Spam or erase....done. As was stated, let's get back to cooking, having fun and less flaming.

Comment

I haven't seen the email, and would simply ignore it if I did. But I think the purpose of the OP was to see if there is a way to not have current Pit members receive invitations to join, since some paying members ARE greatly annoyed by them.

Comment

• Nate
        Nate commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes. Heck I would be willing to pay more than I pay now for membership.

Yikes! I checked emails, got my email from AR, then wrote a post asking about it. THEN I found this thread. Sorry for the duplication! I don't see it as a big deal, and I understand Meathead why such an email is necessary.

Comment

I did not get such and email. And I am pretty mad about that!

Comment

• johnec00
          johnec00 commented
          Editing a comment
          Easy fix Lonnie, get yourself an email address on gmail or yahoo or similar. Then use it to sign up for fakebook, twittle, instaspam, etc. You'll get hundreds of spam email. Don't know how you get your new address on AR's mailing list though. Maybe look up AR on fakebook.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          You mean Creepbook? johnec00 😂

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here