Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which grill should I get repetition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which grill should I get repetition

I have noticed alot of members new and old posting "which grill" or "which smoker should I get." Many of the scenarios are similar and many of the answers are similar. Its not unusual for there to be three threads on Today's Posts with almost the same conversation going on.

This is great and a huge service for people because there are so many categories of outdoor cookers and so many models in each category and so many options for each model. It can be dizzying. I went through this myself recently before I purchased my Yoder last week.

I'm wondering if there is a way that we can streamline this process by making a new subforum about recommendations or "what ___ should I get questions." Similar to a reddit sub I follow /r/buidlmeapc where people just post what they want their PC for and a senior member answers with a recommendation and it goes from there.

I think in a scenario like this we could build a nice browseable archive of various scenarios for people to read through and make the buying process less stressful, especially for the 15,000 members who don't post their questions. Eventually, there could be categories and stickies and even detailed member reviews with startup tips and must-have accessories. I know a lot of this is covered on the free site but its only Max Good's object opinion of the product and missing some of the subjectivity that really adds value on this forum.

Kitchen Knife Forums has a form for people to fill out when they ask "what knife should I buy". I have thought that would be a good idea for here. Some of the questions should include would be:

Budget
    How many people could you possibly be cooking for
    Do you want to tend your cook, or do you want set and forget
    What fuel do you want to use

A separate sub-forum with the questionnaire as a sticky at the top would hopefully make it easier on the person asking, and also on us.

Comment

• adamjs83
      adamjs83 commented
      Editing a comment
      Exactly.

I was thinking of posting the exact same thing. Thanks for saving me some time adamjs83!

Comment

• adamjs83
      adamjs83 commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s what I do.

But alot of members do not use the search feature, a month or so ago there were constant questions about the meater. I see numuorse comments and questions that the answer is on the freeside, it is almost like once we become paid members we become above the freeside when the content and information that is available there is one of the main reasons we became paid members. The content does change and is updated we are never good enough to stop learning

Comment

customtrim thays a good point you
      make about people not searching which is why I think this is a good idea. If all "what should I buy" posts were in one place people wouldn’t have to search or even figure out what to search for.

Comment

I think it would be nice to have a sticky for each grill category (i.e. charcoal grills, charcoal smokers, ceramic grills, pellet grills, stick burners, etc) that has pros and cons, cost, and a list of links to different manufacturers, videos, etc. There are just so many out there and I feel like sometimes I discover a new cooker/manufacturer each week. It can be overwhelming for sure. But in the end, people have to just do their own research, but perhaps we can help make that process a little easier.

For example, for stick burners you have Lang, Yoder, Meadow Creek, KBQ, etc (just too many to list)
        For Charcoal smokers, you have WSM, Weber Kettle/SNS, PBC, Gateway, Stumps, Assassin, etc

You get my drift....

It would be quite the community effort and the lists would have to be constantly updated, but there are just so many options out there these days it’s hard to keep up.

Comment

adamjs83, In Theory I Agree With Your Premise‼️ In Practical Terms Think Of The Variables Involved First: Members Indvidual Budgets, 2nd: Fuel Type, 3rd: Vertical, 4th: Horizontal, 5rh: Barrel, 6th: Round And, And Etc❓ I Have Finally Resolved This All Down To Evaluate With The Best Advice Available, Purchase What You Can Afford, Once You Buy One Study It And Seek Out And Use Others Opinions And Advice To Use It Well❗️ Always Keep In Mind It's Not:
          "THE COOKER IT'S THE COOKEE THAT MAKES THE BEST QUE"❗️
          From A Backyard Cremator In Fargo ND, Dan
          Last edited by Danjohnston949; August 10, 2018, 08:05 AM.

Comment

The search feature on both the free and paid sides are not that good, even using advanced search. I understand people asking the same questions over and over when they can’t narrow down an answer from the search results.

Comment

• adamjs83
              adamjs83 commented
              Editing a comment
              That’s the reason why we should organize it all in one place. Then you don’t need to search. The searching is impossible because if you’re new you wouldn’t even know what to search for.

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Problem is there is no "we", only suggestions to "them". Perhaps those in charge will respond, otherwise it's just chatter.

Hey, I don’t know what to search for & I am not new. So, what do I search for & what grill should I get? 😎

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              wisenheimer

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup ol W Adam, ya got me pegged, cheap OS

• ColonialDawg
              ColonialDawg commented
              Editing a comment
              One of everything

Troutman This is my recommendation:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	white_smoke_exhaust.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	546447

Comment

adamjs83 I'm all for organization, however we have many many many recipes on brisket organized where they should be, but most folks don't participate on forums just to search or simply look for a thread in a sub-forum containing information, they come here to interact through getting responses to their very own threads.

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Well, there's a certain amount of fun figuring out what they really want and need in a cooker.

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                adamjs83 Yeah, something could definitely help. The free site has a large database, however getting every pit maker just in the state of Texas is next to impossible, so something lined up here would definitely aid that.

• adamjs83
                adamjs83 commented
                Editing a comment
                The free site is great for a certain subset. I was recently in the market for a pellet grill and deciding between a Yodor, Blaz’n, Pitts and Spitts and Grilla Silverbac; all of which are well known and discussed on this and other forums but on the free site there is no hands on testing data. Just short articles about the companies and stock photos.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here