Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recipe Formats - Too Wordy???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me, the words and pictures wrapped around the recipes are invaluable. With all of the recipes on the site, how would someone ever know which ones they might like to try? Once I have selected recipes, it might be handy to be able to print the recipe card just to make it easier to actually prepare. But, as others have noted, smart phones can do that job quite nicely. So can tablets.

Meathead's text and photos are what make this site the greatest cooking site on the Internet.

Best regards,
    Jim

Comment

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      Mom? Is that you?

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Ahhhhahahahahaha...

For me, an this is solely my ¢2...
    I, most emphatically, systematically, categorically LOVE havin Th Backstory on stuff. All Stuff. All yall's stuff. Keep it comin!

I'm a Certifiable Information Junkie.( Johnny Five an I party A Lot.)

An a Good Yarn, whether over dinner, adult bevs, around th fire, or written/posted (Which is exponentially more difficult, try it, yall, btw), is an inherent, integral part of Who We Are, as a Species...it is among th things that define Us...

For me, if th receipt section, or any other part of this site were to be solely limited to standardized, formatted, mindless pablum, why, then, it would be drier than a popcorn fart.

Havin a "Pablum" button to push, to print out a summary of a receipt, I'm not unreceptive to, jus aint, previous, felt no intense hankerin fer one.
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 21, 2018, 06:29 AM.

Comment

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks again, Bones. Once you set me on the path I found several sites that list them. You've opened a whole new world. I guess us old dogs can be edjamakated after all.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      gcdmd
      I guess us old dogs can be edjamakated after all.
      Lordy, I sure hope so, else it's time fer my long-overdue Dirt Nap!

I kinda noticed that yall, down Tejas way, spell edjumakated different, but read yer transmission 5X5, LIMA CHARLIE Works fer me!

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      Dirt nap? No way, Amigo Mio. You need to stay on this side of the grass for a spell longer. The Pit wouldn't be the same without you.
      Last edited by gcdmd; July 29, 2018, 04:58 AM.

I appreciate the future development of the recipe card. Sometimes, I kinda just want the goods. But having perused some actual recipe blogs, frequently for diet restriction compliant recipes, I’ve come to appreciate the difference between the notes and headers here and the actual fluff for page length that some folks do. Have read so many recipes that deal with the weather, the season, the author’s various disease conditions or farmer’s markets, or children, that I recite a line from a Roger Waters album... "I don’t care. Shut up. Play the album." I don’t really do that here, though the Blonder Brine could use a recipe without the full article. I make it a couple times a year and it’s buried pretty deeply under the science.

Keep on keepin on.

Comment

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      We are on it. Clint and David will be working on this full time soon.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Great.

I use an app called Paprika 3 on my iPhone, iPad, or Mac. It pulls the recipe out, lists the ingredients, and summarizes the directions. It lets me change units and lets me scale recipes. It even lets me make a grocery list. It is inexpensive and works great on Amazing Ribs. It lets me keep recipes together with those from the New York Times, Serious Eats, and more. It is way easier than cutting and pasting. By the way, I love reading everything about the recipe- thank you Meathead! There is good stuff in there.

Comment

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      The problem with Paprika is that we are constantly tweaking recipes, making them better, and occasionally correcting errors, not that I ever admit to making errors.

• jgg85234
      jgg85234 commented
      Editing a comment
      Errors? Thought those were called enhancements. Maybe you should include a release number
      🥇🥈🥉 Major releases are things like removing salt, minor are just proportion changes. You’re already tracking new and/or improved for the indices. Adding a version mumber should be easy

After we have committed the headnote and pics to memory, many folks want to save a concise version of a recipe. Thats natural, some guy named Cliff started that practice a long time ago. It works for refreshing the headnote and pics buried in your synapse. If you only read Cliff's notes before the test and not the book, you probably failed. I feel the same way about Meathead recipies. If the condensed form was easy to get, it would probably by hyperlinked off into the internet world and diluted to just another recipe (effectively deMeatheaded). I have nothing against Cliff or his notes, I do the cut n paste dance to. What's my point? I'm not sure, just talkin' in circles. Have fun and Q on!

Remember, this is a forum, not a place for right or wrong, in brainstorming there is no wrong. Don't get hung up on the "words". Maybe "wordy" and "fluff" wasn't the best selection, but I didn't take it as negative after I read it a few times.

Comment

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      As I explained above, we are working on this.

I love the headnotes and pics. But some folks seem to only read them once. Why not have the capability to print with a button as you are working on, but also have another button which says include headnotes and pics. That would seem to satisfy all sides of the fence.

Meathead. I understand your feelings about the word fluff since you are only trying to convey the most complete and accurate information. You and this site are a true treasure. Look forward to you next recipe.

Comment

For those of you who enjoy reading recipes, as I do, the poet laureate is Leah Eskin. You need to read several to get her. Not a word wasted, so many layers. Here are some of her headnotes linked to related recipes http://www.leaheskin.com/#/column/

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Her columns look great. Thanks!

If you like creative Asian, and great storytelling, this woman is amazing: http://ladyandpups.com/
        Last edited by EdF; July 21, 2018, 01:33 PM.

I really appreciate all the background and explanations. I don’t really retain information unless I understand why something is the way it is. If I understand it, I will remember forever.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Same way here!

I don't understand as usual and as always, Christmas is spelled Xmas now why because we don't want to type or write a few extra letters? Really. We want special buttons why because we don't want to click on some other button twice ? Really We don't want to be bothered with taking a extra step preparing our cook but complain it did not come out as good? Really. We want to cook over live fire but don't want to add more fuel so we cook it in the oven to finish?Really why. We can not click and drag over something we want to then hit copy then hit print and store the hard copy in a hard folder or even in a folder on a drive, instead we should reinvent the wheel and make what we want to do by mental telepathy so we don't have to click drag get up or say anything it will just happen, once this happens and is incorporated into Alexa or Google home we will be happy, we will weigh 500 lbs be diabetic and possibly die of a heart disease. Before this all happens we will complain that Alexa or Google messed up the rub or temp and ruined your hard thought out thoughts and will want it changed for the better for your busy life. Again I don't understand I am not as literate (got it right this time) as most but I have no problem dragging a cursor across a screen using my finger,or pen click copy, click print or save, give me a minute that was tiring and the Breo is wearing off. Again our society has become a me first regardless what anyone else thinks, if the administration and owner,moderators want to change something fine no biggie, if not I still have enough energy to drag my cursor.I think someone said there were 14,000 plus members you can not or will not make everyone happy but the majority will continue to roll with the way things are without ever complaining. I don't understand the problem

Comment

• Meathead
        Meathead commented
        Editing a comment
        Xxxooo

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't understand, as usual.

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Boom! Don't worry about me, I'll catch up!

The new recipe card has been deployed. We still have a lot of work to do to trim headnotes dow to essential info for the recipe and move the other info to below the card. We also have not set up the print the card button. Working on it.

Comment

Yippee yahoo! Small but mighty steps. Thanks, Meathead .

Kathryn
        Last edited by fzxdoc; July 28, 2018, 07:21 AM.

Comment

What she said!!

Comment

Meathead thanks for the recipe cards. they look great.

PS I love all the "fluff" .... keep it coming!

Comment

I’m gettin my money’s worth, yes I am. I still can’t get over funding this, wow!

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                While you’re at it, I have a couple things I’m looking to fund

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh yeah ecowper, your rodeo.

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                Somebody has to pay for the rodeo FireMan!

I'm a long time user of the copy and paste to Word method. However, recently I dragged out my old MasterCook14 disk and loaded it onto my computer. There are some things about the program I don't like, but one of the features is a bookmark you can add to your browser tool bar that will extract a recipe from the web page you are viewing. It's not perfect, and you often have to do some editing and additional C & P. One of the drawbacks is that you have to have an account (small annual fee) to use it. However, if you have an account with the MasterCook web site, you can save it to their server, as well as download it to your computer. You can then access it either online or from your own computer.

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Pretty much exactly how I use Evernote.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here