Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recipe Formats - Too Wordy???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recipe Formats - Too Wordy???

This post is inspired by a long discussion at the end of a never-fail biscuit recipe. One comment was that the presentation format for recipes is 'wordy' with too much 'fluff'. This generated quite a flurry, and prompted me to think:

This whole issue would go away if the site provided an easy way to view/copy the recipe in a print format, without all the photos and 'fluff'. Let's acknowledge that they are recipes, and most people don't have a computer, laptop, or tablet to access them at the stove or grill. Maybe, like me, some folks want an easy method to cut/paste a favorite recipe to a reference file to print later.... I know y'all have opinions...

Have you tried clicking the Print button on your browser? It does a pretty good job.

Comment

The print button fails to address the 'wordy fluff' issue, though...
      (edit) You also can't cut/paste from the print preview...
      Last edited by dcrawford8; July 20, 2018, 08:15 AM.

Comment

I copy, paste, and save just the recipe to a Word document. Not as easy as "one-click", but it's not difficult either. Example: Beef Rub Recipe

Makes. a bit more than 4 tablespoons of dry rub, enough for an 10 to 12 pounds of beef after trimming.

Takes. 15 minutes.

Ingredients

2 tablespoons ground black pepper

2 teaspoons dried rosemary leaves

2 teaspoons dried thyme or oregano

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon onion powder

1 teaspoon American paprika

1/2 teaspoon chipotle or cayenne powder

About the rosemary. You can leave the leaves whole or break them a bit with your hands. I throw them into a mortar and pestle and crush them just a bit to release their flavors. If you have fresh, double the quantity and coarsely chop it.

About the chipotle. Don't be a wuss. This is only 1/2 teaspoon for 10 pounds of meat, and it is all on the surface, not the interior. Like a viola, you don't notice it, but take it out of the orchestra and something is missing.

Optional. Add 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish.

Method

1) Mix everything together in a bowl. Store in a jar for use later or proceed to the next step if you plan to use it now.

2) Dry brine the meat hours in advance. When it is time to use the rub, you can use it straight, or mix 1 part of the dry rub with 1 part water to make a paste. (Note: This recipe used to be made by mixing with oil, but we discovered that the herbs dissolve much better in water).

3) Pat the meat dry with paper towels, pour the paste on and rub it in. You can cook right away.

Comment

• SMO
          SMO commented
          Editing a comment
          Same here.

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Ditto

• Baltassar
          Baltassar commented
          Editing a comment
          Likewise. Other methods: print to pdf and deletes the pages I don't need, or, if the receipt itself fits on a single screen, take a partial screen shot of the thing. I often find the wordy bits useful first time through; but I agree that I don't want to save them along with the recipe.

You can cut and paste the parts of the text you want and paste them to One Note or Note Pad or whatever word processor you have on your computer and then print your edited recipe with out the pics and fluff.

Oops CaptainMike beat me to it!

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Let's call it affirming one another.

Yeah, that's how I do it, too. As recipe complexity increases, so does the effort... lol. Many other sites offer a 'print format' when presenting recipes. I find that a useful option.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Totally agree. While I enjoy the write up the first time through (or to reference from time to time) it would be nice to have one click print or save option.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          dcrawford8
          I hear what yer sayin, amigo
          It kinda hearkens me back to Th Jetsons, where George would come home from work, with his button-pushin finger worn out, as testimony to his gruelin day at Spacely Space Sprockets...lol

Hanna-Barbera musta had a Time Machine, in '62, cuz we're there, yall...
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 21, 2018, 05:42 AM.

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd like a "cut to the chase" print option as well. It would be great once I have digested the whole article.

Kathryn

pdf versions would be nice, but my cell phone works pretty well also

Comment

• dahcopilot
          dahcopilot commented
          Editing a comment
          mentioned in survey this ayem

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Totally agree, .pdf's are purt near Universally Translatable, between devices...
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 21, 2018, 09:17 AM.

What is needed is a print button that just formats the ingredients and the step by step instructions. Almost everyother cooking site has this feature. I like reading the article but when I go to prepare the food I want simple to follow instructions.

Comment

You have read our minds. We are testing new code for the recipes that creates a "Recipe Card" that looks like this. That's Phase 1 and should be implemented within weeks. Then we plan to edit the headnotes (the info before the recipe) down to important info for making the recipe, and move the rest to below the recipe card. That should happen within a month or three. That's Phase 2. Then we plan to let you print the recipe card only if you wish. That could happen soon thereafter. I am hoping this will all be done by Thanksgiving. Maybe sooner.

Then we plan to move recipes into a database that will allow you to scale up or convert to metric and eventually, check items you need to buy and even send a shopping list to stores like Krogers that are setting up for this. This will cost about $100,000 so it will take time. But we have already written the specs and are planning the steps.

Comment

• dcrawford8
            dcrawford8 commented
            Editing a comment
            These sound like great ideas. I may have to retire <crtl>C and <ctrl>V !!!

• johnec00
            johnec00 commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks like a pretty ambitious plan. The 20 bucks or so we pay for this site is a truly amazing (ribs) value! Some would charge $20 per month for much less value.

• Nate
            Nate commented
            Editing a comment
            Could you also do something where things aren’t just a SV recipe or non SV recipe? Where you could see alternative cooking method with instructions.

Here's a screenshot of the recipe card we are testing on our dev site.
          Attached Files

Comment

• dcrawford8
            dcrawford8 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah!

• jlazar
            jlazar commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you Meathead. That looks great! Do you know if it will interface with recipe programs such as Cook'n?

• Elton's BBQ
            Elton's BBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks like a winner to me!

Just ask your kids for help, this one's from second grade:

Click image for larger version

Name:	The Future is Bright for This Kid.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	534922

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Reckon they ain't teachin punch cards no more, much less tractor-feed, dot matrix printer troubleshootin, an maintenance
            Really love yer pic, amigo! Jus saved it to a 5¼"DSHD

• smokenoob
            smokenoob commented
            Editing a comment
            ha Mr. Bones !, bet ya had yer share of "syntax error" on them cards!!!

• gcdmd
            gcdmd commented
            Editing a comment
            LOL. I just sent that to my daughter-in-law, who is an ECE teacher.

I too end up copy/paste the important stuff in to Word. Even when the recipe cards are implemented, I'll probably still do the same thing. I like to put the recipe "meat and taters" with notes and pics of my own cooks. That way when I want to do it again I can look back at what I did and any other "for the next time" notes. Besides, I may want something more than just the recipe itself. Some of the methods and tips are quite helpful to include in my cook logs.

Comment

I use Evernote to save recipes. It has an option when you clip from your browser to do it as a "simplified article", dropping the extra graphics. Works really well. But I do like the recipe card idea!

Comment

Using weights is important for some ingredients in some places. Especially for flour and salt and fresh herbs. I think we have weights for flour already. Working those into the recipes will take time because it will have to be done by hand. They will probably not be done until after all the above work, unless someone volunteers...

Comment

• HouseHomey
                HouseHomey commented
                Editing a comment
                Don't even get me started on weights and conversions... and no, a cup of flour is not 8oz Metric v US yikes!! Please Marie it Metric.

• gcdmd
                gcdmd commented
                Editing a comment
                HouseHomey There was a big effort in the seventies to get the USA to go metric, but it never caught on. I think we're the only country left that still uses the old British system, which is now called the American system.

Being in the sciences it was just second nature for me to use metric at work and American at home.

Incidentally, all this work is funded by YOUR memberships! It would be impossible otherwise. THANKS!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here