Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Social Media Bar on Free Site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of people do use social media. And they can only collect what you tell them. Don’t want FB to know your birthday? Don’t give them one. Or make one up.

At the end of the day you boil down to a number. Not even a name. Just some binary code number. One of BILLIONS. Nothing special. Nobody is looking specifically at you.

Comment

• SmokeyGator
      SmokeyGator commented
      Editing a comment
      I just don’t worry about such things. Yea, I see fhe bar too. It’s easy enough to ignore. And someone might actually like it.

Now if there is a system to exclude paying pit members, that’s one thing. All for that. But if that isn’t possible then the free site has to earn its keep somehow.

That’s my only point. Everything "free" gets money from selling you as a viewer to someone else.

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      Again I don’t care so much that the tool exist but more so the annoyance of a section of it not retracting like it is supposed to and blocking content.

• Murdy
      Murdy commented
      Editing a comment
      "Don’t want FB to know your birthday? Don’t give them one. Or make one up. "

I wouldn't be quite so complacent about things like this. A lot of those "terms and conditions" statements that are so long that even the average lawyer wouldn't read contain permissions to share data, and sometimes that encompasses a friends data.

I deleted my social media accounts last year and have loved it. This forum is my go to and would not have it any other way. However, I would venture to say that like it or not social media and the buzz it creates helps to support this platform and helps to keep it profitable.

Comment

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      Again though this isn’t a post debating the merits of social media but instead addressing a feature on the main site that is not functioning properly and blocking content hence creating a poor customer experience.

Submitted, thanks Nate.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Nate but you know, you could just ignore social media altogether, some folks like it .... Just kidding, had ya didn't I? ....

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Poor Nate, he's just so misunderstood

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      Well played Huskee ...

Troutman unfortunately it seems so.

Maybe I should go post about it on Facebook or whatever kids are using in the interwebs now a days.

Originally posted by Nate View Post
    UPDATE:

i have tried to ignore this but it still bothers me. It is annoying enough that every time you go to a new page in the site that the bar pops up (like when paging through reviews) but now the little tweet thing stays there too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	07583195-1DD2-4302-8CCA-D2C9EE9E5018.jpeg
Views:	232
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	648087
    Hi. We've noticed that this happens sometimes on newer iPhones but not older ones. Can you give me some more details to work with? We need the phone model, OS version and browser you're using.

We're sorry that you are having this issue. Meathead also had it himself for a while. As for the Social Media icons tracking you that's can't happen unless you use them to share the article. We created our own icon bar. There is no tracking info being used.

We value all members and visitors and we will try to identify the issues you are having. Social sharing is vital to the continued existence of the website and Pitmaster Club. When a member or visitor shares an article or review that is the best recommendation of our content to the world.

Thanks for your help

Comment

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for getting back:

iPhone SE
      iOS 12.1.4
      Safari

I greatly appreciate you looking into this.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here