Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Social Media Bar on Free Site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Social Media Bar on Free Site

I was on my iPhone SE (small screen) reading through a new review when (what appears to be) a new annoyance appeared.

There was some sort of social media bar on the left hand side of the screen that appeared when you touched the screen then would disappear a few seconds after you stopped touching the screen. This bar blocked the first few letters of every line making it horrible to try to read the article. I usually keep a finger on the screen and scroll as I go.

Please for the love of the BBQ gods get rid of or fix this feature as it completely destroys the customer / user experience.

It shouldn’t be my phone or browser as I don’t have this problem on other sites.

here is a snapshot:

Click image for larger version

Name:	3C966107-E1E6-41A3-9113-637C113C19BC.jpeg
Views:	197
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	534401

Hitting the arrow button at the top doesn’t work either as the bar will reappear as soon as you start scrolling again.

Comment

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm with you - I'd just as soon shut off any site that has that obnoxious bar and go somewhere else. It is one thing to offer it, but to keep it there right in your face is just RUDE!

Yowzer!

Comment

Ugh I hate that crap...

Comment

Get rid of it. Social media bars and the like can be used as trackers and I value my privacy. I don’t do facebook, twitter, or other social media for a reason and I don’t appreciate them collecting my website visiting habits.

Comment

I was going to post about this. Thanks, Nate. I agree with you, it needs to go.

Comment

• treesmacker
            treesmacker commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree with both of you!

Yep. Just cleared all my website data and cookies. Came back to log into AR and voile, cookies from facebook.net and facebook.com appeared along with other social media trackers. Get rid of it.

Comment

Good catch. I see that new social media bar in the left margin of the page in my PC web browser too but even if I resize the browser window to very narrow, the social media bar does not overlap the text of the page. Appears that it does not play well with mobile browsers.

Comment

Forwarded to the folks in charge of the free site, thanks!...stay tuned.

Comment

• Nate
                Nate commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you sir!

Sorry but this scocial media bar is truly annoying, I close it and as soon as I scroll it’s back. iPad user

Comment

I just joined the club a day or two ago and was annoyed to see this crazy thing popping up all the time and was actually going to ask how to get rid of it.

Comment

• Nate
                  Nate commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Welcome from Indiana!

I bet they will get it fixed!

• RonB
                  RonB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Welcome to The Pit Rick!

Would drive me nuts.

Comment

Is anyone still having the problem with it popping up? I'm having the opposite problem. On mobile Firefox and Chrome, for me, it auto-dismisses (good) but then I can't re-open it (fine for me but defeats its purpose).

Please state what device/browser you're using. Thank you.

Comment

• Nate
                    Nate commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Update on this issue below

Huskee the majority of the bar can disappear if you keep hitting the arrow on mine but the Facebook and twitter icons still stay out no matter what once you start scrolling. I’m using iOS.

Name:	DCE21560-A62F-45E0-ABD1-026055F68B6B.jpeg
Views:	161
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	535364

Comment

UPDATE:

i have tried to ignore this but it still bothers me. It is annoying enough that every time you go to a new page in the site that the bar pops up (like when paging through reviews) but now the little tweet thing stays there too.

Name:	07583195-1DD2-4302-8CCA-D2C9EE9E5018.jpeg
Views:	232
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	648087

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here