Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ideas for Amazing ribs site.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideas for Amazing ribs site.

I thought the team at Amazingribs might like some suggestions for new pages and recipes for the site. Ideas for inspiration from members of the pit forum.
    It's meatheads site and he can put whatever he likes, but might like to hear feedback from all of us. So pitch in and we can make a list of recipes and ideas.

I will kick it off.
    1./ Recipes of BBQ from other parts of the world. (I know this idea has been on Meatheads agenda for a long time). Meathead, you can pay me to travel around the world eating BBQ and I will report back to you about it .

2./ Other parts of the animals that are good to eat. I live in Argentina where we eat lots of offal. Properly prepped and cooked they make excellent eating. (Smoked lymph gland, grilled pigs small intestine, chicken hearts, lamb livers, brains it's all good)

3./ How to do home kill, where you show how to kill a pig without it suffering, scald and cut it up.

We always love feed back. I will make sure that Meathead sees this thread.

Thanks!

Comment

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      Another idea for a web page: The psychology of BBQ ; For example you buy a big fat rib eye and haven't even eaten it yet, but that piece of meat has put you in a better mood already due to the anticipation of something tasty and delicious soon. How BBQ makes your mental health better!

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      Ahumidora, I find myself buying things I don't need. For example, I saw a rib roast that was beautiful, and it was on sale, so I bought it and vacuum sealed it and put it in the freezer, for a rainy day. There is a psychology in lardering something away, I think.

• adamjs83
      adamjs83 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a freezer full of things like that.

Originally posted by Ahumadora View Post
    I thought the team at Amazingribs might like some suggestions for new pages and recipes for the site. Ideas for inspiration from members of the pit forum.
    It's meatheads site and he can put whatever he likes, but might like to hear feedback from all of us. So pitch in and we can make a list of recipes and ideas.

I will kick it off.
    1./ Recipes of BBQ from other parts of the world. (I know this idea has been on Meatheads agenda for a long time). Meathead, you can pay me to travel around the world eating BBQ and I will report back to you about it .

2./ Other parts of the animals that are good to eat. I live in Argentina where we eat lots of offal. Properly prepped and cooked they make excellent eating. (Smoked lymph gland, grilled pigs small intestine, chicken hearts, lamb livers, brains it's all good)

3./ How to do home kill, where you show how to kill a pig without it suffering, scald and cut it up.
    Get Steven Raichlen's The BBQ Bible 10th Anniversary Edition. It's all about BBQ from around the world including South America. On Kindle, it was $1.99 USD. It was posted here and I jumped on it. All good ideas for the site, wanted to advise on something for your #1 item you might be interested in.

Comment

As Meathead considers various recommendations, I hope he keeps the focus on what i think makes this the best BBQ site in the world.: Barbecue technique, recipes and equipment. It is the best place in the world to learn how to make BBQ - of all kinds. I learn equally from the site content and from member comments. I would hate to see it expand into so many different areas, (Instant Pot seems to be the latest hot one), that it becomes just another cooking site.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        That's it, but they call it a multi-cooker because it also has a crockpot and yoghurt-making cycles. I most enjoy it for rice and risotto. Quick, painless, great results. In a deep winter, yeah I can see some stews and chili. Especially with short rib chunks.

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        HouseHomey, just imagine if a crock pot and a microwave made a baby. It is an electric pressure cooker with a lot of bells and whistles to make it more user friendly. It will never replace any other cooker in my arsenal, but it's handy for quick meals during the week and doesn't dirty up a lot of pots and pans.

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        For the 6 months that it's cold outside here, and I like to heat the house, I use my EPC a ton. Chili, pot roast, soups, stews, stock... makes amazing rice and other grains, but I'm not eating much of that these days. But I don't expect anything for the EPC here, save sides.

Thanks! I may own the site, but I see it as YOUR site and it is vital that we meet your needs/interests. We have a LONG list of topics we want to cover and naturally they focus on things we think members are most interested in. For example, we just rolled out a section on griddling by Paul Sidoriak who wrote a book on the topic. We have just asked someone to start writing about campfire and wilderness/backpack boat cooking. I would also like to do some articles on using kamados as tandoors. More on baking. More on Sous Vide Que.

I am working on a new book and it contains a lot of creative flavors fusing ingredients from around the world, but not a lot on cooking techniques and recipes from far away such as Thailand, Argentina, etc. The outdoor cooking world is so vast I don't think we'll ever run out of topics.

As for offal, it wasn't on my ToDo list, but why not? Probably not something readers are going to flock to us for, but could be fun.

I would like to do a piece on dealing with slaughtering a hog, but, as with offal, I don't think there is huge interest. Probably more interest in dressing a hog since people are shooting wild hogs more and more. I knew a man who traveled from farm to farm killing hogs, and butchering them. He used a 22 caliber rifle, right between the eyes. Said death was instantaneous and painless.

On the Multi-Cooker - you KNOW I had to get one! As near as I can tell it is an all in one pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, yogurt maker, and has the capability of browning meat before stewing/slow cooking them. I have read the manual twice and I still can't figger mine out... Our thermometer tester, Bill McGrath lives in an RV and he loves his and has written article about them.

Comment

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        Meathead. Yep a bolt action .22 rifle with open sights or .22 pistol are perfect for home kill on pigs. No suffering at all. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Something I would love to have better knowledge of is Spices, Salts, Sugars, etc... so I could better create my own rubs, seasonings, marinades, sauces, etc... or doctor up found recipes.... OR even more so to be able to reverse engineer a commercial rub or something I like so I can exclude stuff like the preservative, anticaking additive, or MSG... I have a very basic concept of this but would like to expand my knowledgebase a bit more....

For example:
      Replace Sugar X with Turbinado Sugar to get this kind of result or different flavor profile. Or this sugar burns at this temp so it is better to use etc...

What spices pair best with what meats
      What the spices do to certain flavor profiles
      What spices compliment vs work against

How to spice something up beyond just chili powder or give something some heat on the front side vs a delayed heat or heat on the end....

There is a ton more to this but hopefully you kind of get the drift...

Yes I know Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc... exist and I do web searches and find stuff but I like having access to this kind of stuff here since this is my default online hangout location and a trusted source for information... Been underwhelmed too many times from visiting the Blog/Website of some look how I can come up with a cute website name person that has the mostest, bestest, greatest, flavorfullest, easiest, simplest, wonderfulest, change your cooking life, never eat another again, recipe that either the person's 2 year old child (or possible pet) liked and completely cleaned the plate of but the rest of the family was just too nice to tell them their food was flavorless, dry, mushy, and just plain horrible recipe.

Comment

Ahumadora , I will volunteer to hold your knife wherever you go.

Comment

• Ahumadora
          Ahumadora commented
          Editing a comment
          I wouldn't trust you with a plastic butter knife Thanks fireman!

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          He li,rly sharpened the handle end and made a double sided shank.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here