Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keyboard predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keyboard predictions

Does anyone else have trouble when using keyboard predictions when composing a post? Never trouble a letter at a time, but predictions get hosed for me.

Keyboard predictions (aka predictive text) is driven by the keyboard and/or settings of the device browser you are using. What type of device and browser are you using, and is it just the native keyboard that came with it, or have you installed a 3rd party keyboard?

Comment

I have the same issue. Gboard. Chrome or Opera. Settings are no help. I like the Gboard so much better than the stock app, I have learned to beware.

M.

Comment

I disabled it and the auto correct on my phone (Galaxy S7). Happiness. I can live with a few typos, rather then send a correctly spelled word that alters meaning.

Comment

• Mudkat
          Mudkat commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed. I did the same thing. Disabled all of it on S7. Now I take delight in editing every post. Except this one!

SwiftKey, GBoard, you name it. Chrome browser on an Android tablet. Select a word and you get the first couple letters you type plus the beginning of the word again. I have a hard time believing it's on my end, I don't have this problem elsewhere.

Comment

Few to no issues using either Safari or Chrome on iOS ...

Comment

Example, say I start to type "brisket" b-r-i and brisket shows up as a possible option, so I select it. What I probably will get is bribris. It's like it gets the number of letters right, but it starts over at the beginning instead of completing the word.

Comment

JCGrill the only thing I can think to suggest at this point is to toggle on/off predictive text and/or reset your keyboard to default to see if that helps. Settings/General Management/Language and Input/On-Screen Keyboard/(pick the keyboard you use) then toggle the predictive text settings on/off. Or at the bottom try Reset to Default.

The last time I saw an issue that was similar to what you are describing it was the web app itself. But since this doesn’t seem to be globally reported, then I don’t think it’s this site.

Good luck!

Comment

Maybe not universally reported but there is at least one other person responding to this thread who says they have issues? I use it far too much to turn it off. I thought this was the right forum to post about problems, but the moderators are silent so perhaps not. For the time being I guess I live with it.

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I apologize, I would love to chime in and help you with the issue you are having. However, I am not an IT person. Ray J is here to help with technical issues.

Well... this is a problem with your device and not the site, but we can still help!

One of the problems that I had was selecting to quickly.

I would start typing, the word I wanted popped up, but changed just as I clicked, getting a different word.

Or my big fingers would hit one of the top row letters too, causing the words to change before registering the click.

Comment

I am willing to admit it could be a combination of my device and this site, but as I have this problem nowhere else (no other app, no other site) it's very difficult to believe it's just me typing too fast. Especially since I don't type fast. But I will slow down and see what happens.

Comment

If I thought the site could have any effect on this I would work on finding a solution here. But this is a device issue. I could not tell you why this only happens for a specific app (on your device) and this site.

That would be very unusual. However, to be sure, I have searched for a solution and, so far, nothing. No one is having this issue (or at least not posting questions about it).

To be sure, what device, os, and app do you use to access this forum?

I have never heard of (nor could I imagine) a website having the ability to influence a devices "predictive text" functions. That is all on the device. The device could have some feature that alters itself depending on the content of the site or how you use the site. It could even be some other app or plugin that is the cause.

I can investigate further once you tell me the device, os, and app you are using. (Ie. Samsung S7, Android, Firefox).

Comment

Samsung Galaxy Tab tablet, SwiftKey keyboard (although it happened with GBoard as well), Android 7.0, Chrome browser. I wouldn't waste a lot of time on it. I do understand what you are saying, it's just difficult to understand why I never experience this anywhere but here, and with multiple keyboards. Maybe it is a chrome thing.

Comment

No worries bother. I am here to help.

Sometimes it is the site, sometimes the device, sometimes the user, sometimes other, and most times a combination of all four.

It could be a Chrome thing. Since Google created Chrome, they could be "helping" by using words from their index on this site. Since much of the site is BBQ and Grilling specific, those are the words that it is trying to predict. Again, just a guess.

If you ever notice a solid pattern to the problem, let me know. I want to be certain that it is not this forum causing the problem.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here