Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bacon recipe change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ecowper
    commented on 's reply
    Add salt, and cure for more like 5 days, not 3. It will increase your salt flavor without being an issue regarding the Prague Powder

• jacmac422
    replied
    I made bacon a couple of weeks ago for the first time. I must say that there wasn't near enough salt. I dont know weather to add salt or curing powder next time though

Leave a comment:

• Jaster
    commented on 's reply
    Alright, I figured it was something like that, was just surprised that the Prague Powder amount was so drastically different. Thanks for the response, will be following new recipe, no one got sick from the old so all good

• Jaster
    replied
    The version we were going off of for the Maple Syrup recipe was:
    4 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
    4 1/2 tsp Pepper
    3 T Dark Brown Sugar
    1 1/2 tsp Prague Powder #1
    1/2 Cup Dark Maple Syrup
    3/4 Cup Distilled Water
    7-10 days Cure
    225 deg until internal of 150 deg

So only the Prague Powder and the curing time had changed, which seemed odd, which is why I posted

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    replied
    The new recipe is a safer version of the old. The curing calculator is more accurate when people are scaling up. It also calculates curing time more accurately.

Leave a comment:

• DeusDingo
    replied
    could you post the old recipe?

Leave a comment:

• Jaster
    commented on 's reply
    Per my notes for the maple syrup recipe the only difference is 1 1/2 tsp Prague powder #1 vs 1/2 tsp now. Also, curing time went down to 3-5 days vs the old 7-10.

• Steve R.
    replied
    I wish I had the old recipe written down somewhere. The last batch I made using the new recipe was underwhelming, to say the least.

Leave a comment:

• Jaster
    started a topic Bacon recipe change?

Bacon recipe change?

Hey gang,
    I wrote down the bacon recipe a few years ago, so I didn't always have to load the webpage. Back then it was for 1lbs, which I scaled to 3lbs as per Meatheads instructions. Doing a little surfing of the site today I noticed the bacon recipe had changed, pretty dramatically too. It now uses a third of the Prague powder and half of the curing time. Have I been poisoning my family and myself for the last 3 yrs? Using new recipe starting today, was just curious and kinda surprised.

Thanks for any info you have,

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here