Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gold Medal Giveaway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gold Medal Giveaway

I think the Gold Medal Giveaway is a fantastic initiative and a great reward for Pit members. Unfortunately it is only available to USA members.
    Have you ever thought about a smaller prize such as a Low n Slow, Maverick Thermometer or a grill brush for the overseas members.
    The suppliers would love to get their products into a new market.
    Makes the overseas members feel part of the Pit.

I think an out of the country prize "transaction," no matter the monetary value, is a no go.

There is some sort of stipulation. I know it cost some serious $$ just have the rules and regulations drawn up.

But that would be a sweet little gift pack!

Comment

That would be a bit more fair.. I guess i pay just as much for the membership as you in the US..

Comment

I see what you're saying. And Jerod's right. We'd have to pay legal fees in every country (20 & counting) which would effect everyon'e price of admission. But please remember, the GMG is one small part of the benefits of The Pit. You'd have a 1:20,000+ chance to win. For more on the specifics of the why, please see this part of this page:

Click image for larger version  Name:	GMGUSonly.JPG Views:	1 Size:	72.8 KB ID:	402163

I'll forward this on to Meathead in case there's been any recent thought, or could be, for something different for the future.

Comment

i feel like if they aren't allowed to win the giveaway then they should have some kind of discount on their membership fee.

Comment

Originally posted by DeusDingo View Post
            i feel like if they aren't allowed to win the giveaway then they should have some kind of discount on their membership fee.
            On the surface it seems that way, yes, and we've tried to include everyone we could, so I feel your pain.

But here's how it works- it's illegal to charge entry into a sweepstakes in the US. Therefore, no one is paying for the sweepstakes, it's simply a perk. What you get as part of the membership is automatic entry into it each month, not the right to enter since that's available to everyone, member or not, free. So that said, if we give a discount to someone who isn't eligible to win, then we're charging more to the others...in effect charging for the sweepstakes, which is illegal.

Deos this make sense? View it as a free perk to those who are eligible, not something anyone's paying for.

Comment

• DeusDingo
              DeusDingo commented
              Editing a comment
              well it doesn't affect me so much (WI). i didn't realize the details behind it. kind of a frustrating situation, isn't it?

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              DeusDingo Yeah it sure is, thanks for understanding. I wish everyone could be eligible too...(even employees!!)

Sounds like they just need to make a friend in the US that would be happy to claim the prize, be willing to receive it and help get it all tuned into shape and then be willing to ship it to the overseas winner.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              That's the perfect solution to anyone who happens to have a US address & friends who'd do that.

I think there should be a special drawing each month just for members in my zip code.

Comment

As Huskee explains, it is illegal to charge for a sweepstakes so a discount for not participating would be illegal. Everything about the Club is custom software, and custom software is very expensive. At this time our software is not sophisticated enough for any discounts (all the employees and moderators pay full price, me too, and we are not eligible to win). It is still not able to handle gift subscriptions. We think that there are numerous benefits to membership that make it worth $2 a month.

Comment

Next time a member from outside the US wins, just ship it to me and I will take care of it from there.

Comment

Is the draw limited to a US citizen or a US address? I'm Canadian and live 8 miles from our border. I have stuff sent to a US parcel handling service and just drive over to pick it up. Pay my duties and taxes at the border and away I go.

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    US address in your profile...that's how the sweepstakes co. gets the names

• MBMorgan
                    MBMorgan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    According to what I remember about the rules, I think that the winner must be a US resident.

If you're not in.. you're out..

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here