Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uploading photo issues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uploading photo issues...

Hi all,

I have been posting a bit, and most of the time I upload photos. I am well aware of the different types of photo uploads that are available, and I'm always using the recommended approach, as posted in a sticky by Pit Boss. However, I've seen some weird behavior from vBulletin the last two weeks. I am 100% sure I upload large pictures (2448x2448 pixels), but no matter how I insert them into the post, they end up the exact same size I insert them. For example, I upload a big picture. Insert it into the body text using "small", the picture ends up small. When clicking the picture (it automagically becomes a link) to see the large (original) picture it still shows up as small. Also, when inserting two images as small, the first shows up as one size in the post, and the other as slightly different. Even though I chose "small" for both, and the original uploaded images have the same size.

So, have you other members seen this? I seem to recall seeing some posts about this, specifically concerning square photos from an iPhone.

Let me know if I can run some tests, I could do some dummy posts and test various combos to see if I can isolate the error, 'cause something is fishy.

Henrik we have infrastructure upgrades in the works that are hopefully going to address many of the gremlins currently in the system (some of those gremlins are photo related). Once those have been implemented let's revisit this if it's still a problem. Just give us a few weeks and let's see how things improve!

We do appreciate you posting all this detail though and if the problem persists after the upgrade will put it to good use

Comment

Thanks, Pit Boss! Good to know updates are on their way.

Comment

Henrik have you tried placing the pictures as "large" or "fullsize" and still finding the same issue? I believe how you insert the picture (small, in your case) is how it's stored here even when clicked.

Comment

That's a valid point, Huskee. I have assumed that when I insert a picture using the small (medium, large et.c.) size, it will show the original size image when clicked. However, my assumption doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the real world ;-)

Anyway, I'll just sit tight and wait for the updates to come through in the next weeks. This isn't a big issue for me. Will be interesting to see what the updates bring anyway in more general terms.

Comment

Here's a follow-up on my photo uploading issues. It seems I am not the only one. I created a test post and added a dummy photo to see what happened. The error now is that regardless of which "size" I try to insert into the post (thumbnail, medium, large, fullsize) it always inserts the thumbnail.

Test prerequisites
            Computer: MacBook Pro with OS X Yosemite, v10.10.1 (latest)
            Web browser: Chrome v 38.0.2125.122 (latest)

I downloaded a test picture from here: http://images.nationalgeographic.com...65_600x450.jpg

As you can see it is a photo 600px wide by 450px tall.

I hit the little button in the top right corner of the post editor (the one with the paper clip attached to a paper, third from the right). This gives me the two buttons "Upload Attachments" and "Upload from URL" at the bottom of the editor. I hit the "Upload Attachments" button and select the turkey picture (which I have downloaded to my computer). It shows up in the list of attachments. So far so good.

Now to the problem: I place the cursor anywhere in the post text, and hit one of the size links. Either thumbnail, small, medium, large or fullsize. No matter which size I choose, it always inserts the thumbnail size. Very annoying.

I have provided a link to a screenshot showing the issue. See this picture:

Let me know if I can provide more information.

Comment

Henrik I am passing this on to our IT folks. I really appreciate the detail. One minor request... Can you upload a few test photos to this thread to demonstrate the issue? I'm going to link this thread to the issue so they'll get a chance to see the issue in action.

Comment

Pit Boss here using my wife's account, which has "subscribed member" level access. Appears to be working. Lenovo Laptop running Windows 8.1 and Firefox browser 33.1.1

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2938.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	33966

Views:	156
ID:	33968

ID:	33969

Views:	150
ID:	33970

Comment

Here's a post to illustrate my issues. I will attempt upload with the turkey pic I mentioned in my previous post. Above each image I will type the size I expected:

Thumbnail

Name:	wild-turkey_600x450.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	2.2 KB
ID:	33974

Small

Views:	146
ID:	33975

Medium

Views:	157
ID:	33976

Large

Views:	151
ID:	33977

Fullsize

Views:	69
ID:	33978

Comment

Thanks Henrik. Much appreciated.

Comment

Here's a post from a Win 8.1 computer using Chrome 39.0.2171.65 m.

Small

Views:	147
Size:	1.4 KB
ID:	34009

Large

Size:	1.4 KB
ID:	34010

Comment

Views:	142
Size:	1.1 KB
ID:	34016 Click image for larger version

Size:	1.1 KB
ID:	34015 ..and here I'm using Win 8.1 and Internet Explorer 11.0.9600.17351, Updates: 11.0.13

Small

Large

...didn't work well. Even though I place the cursor in a specific spot, IE inserts them a the very beginning of the post :-)

Attached Files

Comment

...and here I'm using Windows 8.1 and Firefox 33.1.1

small

Size:	895 Bytes
ID:	34019

large

Size:	895 Bytes
ID:	34020

Comment

...and finally, OS X Yosemite, v10.10.1 using Safari Version 8.0 (10600.1.25.1)

small

Views:	146
Size:	781 Bytes
ID:	34023

large

Views:	139
Size:	781 Bytes
ID:	34024

Comment

I know the problem... it is because Henrik is so far away!

Just kidding!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here