Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show the location?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Show the location?

It would be nice to show where a poster is from in the side box with their name. I know some people may not provide it, but it's interesting to see such as a recent post from someone hailing from "the great white north" cooking in -4 degree weather. Be handy to see that without looking up the profile.

northeast ohio here cooked Friday night started temp was around 11 ended at 11 at night temp was down to 3 I think Click image for larger version

Name:	joe.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	261290

Comment

Showing location is something that we have thought about however we have to be respectful of folks' privacy

Comment

Yeah I have asked for something like that before so we could see about getting folks together for local "meat ups" and such but have been shot down... AR wants to respect the privacy of the users and I respect that...

Users do have the option to put their location in their signature (little icon next to the green or grey dot indicating online status) that people can hover over to see or in their profile that people can visit by clicking on their screen name.

Comment

Ok. I'm used to forums having a switch to display it (or not).

Comment

Location is a touchy thing. I was on a forum where a guy had a ton of stuff stolen from his house while on vacation. All the stuff stolen was pertinent to the forum we were on. Someone was keeping tabs and knew his location.

Comment

granted, but there's no sane reason to give out your freak'n address is there?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                You don't always have to give an address. Someone close can key on vehicles and other comments.

• billg71
                billg71 commented
                Editing a comment
                And if you post pics straight from a smartphone they may have GPS location embedded in the file.

How much of My Profile shows up to everyone? Privacy?

Comment

Skip here is a screen shot

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	134
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	261434

Comment

• Skip
                  Skip commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks. I wasn't sure what showed.

I am pretty anal about that (or at least I try). I used to have a PO box in Philly, until it got to be too inconvenient. Still have a PO box, but its not even the same zip code. I will put "Historic Philadelphia" (though I did put the name of my town in my intro - a name it hasn't had since the 1600's ).

Comment

The march of technology has certainly changed the world around us. Not all that many years ago, everyone's address was listed in a big old phone directory. Name, address, spouse, kids were plainly visible.

I think the old days were better. Online seems to have created a very dangerous world.

Jim

Comment

Maybe I should be more paranoid, but I see no reason not to reveal a general location, and that would often be meaningful to those reading your posts or checking your profile.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here