Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mentions feature only autofills some of the time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mentions feature only autofills some of the time

Why does the autofill option only work sometimes when typing out a person's AR handle? I'm thinking it works for me less than half of the time.

Hit and miss here, too. Also, to keep it from going to the very front of the post I have to type out the whole name and do a space after.

Comment

It doesn't work for a comment - only works for a reply.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Willy - You also cannot "quote", "comment", "flag" or "like" a comment. Nor are any of the "reply" options, like linking available. I think "comments" are just supposed to be short comments pertaining to the specific reply or comment.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd like to see the ability to "like" a comment. Maybe in a future update of vBulletin...

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee - I would like that, too.

For a comment you need to enter @ followed by the entire name and once posted will work. I just found that out a couple of days ago.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Exactly.

Well, @Ischwieg, tbob4, RonB & Willy, I just managed to type it the way I thought and not once did it work. Oh well, I give up. I'm not going to waste my time trying to figure it out.

Whoa, wait a minute, one did work. I'm still not going to waste any more time trying.

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        FireMan - My exact same thought on some days. I was clearing my cache often to "like" things but saved passwords on some sites would go away and it's a pain to re-enter it all the time.

Originally posted by FireMan View Post
      Well, @Ischwieg, tbob4, RonB & Willy, I just managed to type it the way I thought and not once did it work. Oh well, I give up. I'm not going to waste my time trying to figure it out.

Whoa, wait a minute, one did work. I'm still not going to waste any more time trying.
      You must type an @ symbol tight to each name you're tagging.. and spell it right for it to work. @Ischwieg and lschweig are different.

Comment

It has a lot to do with your device and browser. I have better luck on my PC than my phone, for example.

PLEASE be very specific with your topic subject when reporting possible issues. "Puzzlement" could mean anything.

Help us help you.

Comment

• Willy
          Willy commented
          Editing a comment
          @Pit Boss: ?????????????????

It was a "serious" question, though it wasn't an issue, per se.

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          Willy you mentioned sense of humor in your first comment. I was just meaning to say that let's keep humor out of the suggestion box and report issues clearly so we moderator types know how to deal with them. This forum gets a LOT of traffic. Hard to keep up as it is!

• Willy
          Willy commented
          Editing a comment
          David Parrish Gotcha. My humor reference was a poor attempt to explain some of my past sins. Also, best I know, I didn't post in the Suggestion Box. I've never used it. I think/thought I posted in general discussion.

Willy The tag pop-ups you're referring to are dependent on your browser as far as I know, not vBulletin (our forum's engine) I get the hit & miss too. But if you spell the user's name correctly, even if there's no popup it will work when posted. If it doesn't work for you, check that you didn't misplace an "L" for an "I", or switch an "ei" with an "ie" or something. Spaces have to be there or not be there exactly as the user's name is. "PitBoss" is different from "Pit Boss". If you're having trouble tagging a user with a space in their username, put their username in quotes. Such as @+"Pit boss" [without the + sign]. What has happened before on occasion is folks would try to tag "John C" (for instance) and the tag would only stick to "John", so "John" would get tagged for no reason. Quotes wrapped around the user's full username will prevent this.

And RonB is right, as explained in the box when you exceed 300 characters, comments are meant to be brief contextual or side bar remarks, such as "Nice bark" or a brief comment or explanation of something, etc. 300 characters is pretty generous, it was lower at one point. If you have more to say just copy & paste what you've typed, cancel the comment, and just "Quote" the post you're replying to, paste your copied words there, and finish. The member will get a quote notification and all is well.

Comments used to be unlimited in the very early days, but then some folks would type out a huge post as a comment and it screwed up the flow of the original post. This way works best for everyone. Yes, we all know it's frustrating when you type a comment and it won't post because it's 311 characters. ARRGH! But, it is what it is.

Keep up the good work guys & girls!

Comment

• Willy
          Willy commented
          Editing a comment
          It's all fine. I just enjoy the occasional whine.

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          You want some cheese to go with the whine? :-P

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Maybe a little goat cheese...

Don't forget folks - if you are replying to a post, the poster will get a notification. No need to tag their name. If you commenting or are replying to a comment, that person will not get notification unless their tagged name is in the comment. And if you want to make sure a third party sees what you have posted, you need to tag their name so they will get notification.

Edit to add: David Parrish or Huskee - did I get this right?

Comment

Originally posted by RonB View Post
          Don't forget folks - if you are replying to a post, the poster will get a notification. No need to tag their name. If you commenting or are replying to a comment, that person will not get notification unless their tagged name is in the comment. And if you want to make sure a third party sees what you have posted, you need to tag their name so they will get notification.

Edit to add: David Parrish or Huskee - did I get this right?
          Close. It depends on how you have your notification settings set up. You can change any of these to what suits you.

I think default is you receive NO notification if someone simply replies in a thread you've started. In this context, a "reply" is any regular post in any topic.

You DO receive a notification if they: Quote you, Like any of your posts, or Comment on any of your posts (replies) or Mention you (@ you).

But like I said you can change any of these by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then Notifications. You'll then see a slew of settings for what to receive a notification of. If a person so chooses they could turn everything off, even Mentions. But we hope they wouldn't do that! If you have both "Mentions you" and "Comments on your discussion" turned on, you'll get a double notification that someone commented on your post and mentioned you in it. Maybe even triple if you also have "Replies to your discussion"...which by itself basically mean you'll get notified of any posts in a thread you start.

Comment

This, I think just might be the most confusing post I've seen. I think I'm going to take a nap.

Huskee Oh, yes I did misspell Ischweig, but I did hit the @ symbol on the other two. And, yes it did put your name at the big inning. And I am still going to take a nap.

Comment

Originally posted by FireMan View Post
              This, I think just might be the most confusing post I've seen. I think I'm going to take a nap.

Huskee Oh, yes I did misspell Ischweig, but I did hit the @ symbol on the other two. And, yes it did put your name at the big inning. And I am still going to take a nap.
              Don't let it confuse you, just visit your notifications preferences as described above and check & uncheck the boxes that will suit you. There are so many options that explaining it makes things look unnecessarily complicated as you've noticed.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here