Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RSS? Monthly Digest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RSS? Monthly Digest?

Just wondering if there is a way to be notified when new reviews, recipes, techniques, etc. are added. I have been a user for a long time and a member for more than a year, and I feel like I have a pretty good handle on what's here, but would love to find a short-cut for all the new stuff. Any ideas?

If you go to User Settings, you can set up notifications for things that happen in the Pit. I don't think you can do that for the main site, though.

Comment

Not 100% sure but I believe Pit members get the new videos before they go on the main site. I can't remember how that worked but MH definitely made a post about it so we'd know.

Comment

I use the "Today's Post" thread, right under the "Forums" tab.

Comment

I think your talking more "main site" type of a deal. This is a great idea but I don't think it has been implemented yet on the main site. This would be a great suggestion for David Parrish to pass on to Meathead

Comment

• bchbum12
            bchbum12 commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree with that.

There is actually an RSS feed here: http://amazingribs.com/RSS/
          However, if you look at the actual feed, you'll see that it's on "hiatus" (meaning that it's been indefinitely suspended for over a year). The maintainer mentions that it's too much work. The site is obviously driven by some type of content management system (custom or customized). It should be easy enough to create a hook or trigger that automatically adds to the RSS feed when certain content is created. No maintenance required! If you need any help with that, let me know.

I especially like to sync these articles to my phone so I can read them when I'm flying or otherwise traveling but don't necessarily have internet. I once tried pre-loading 30 or so articles on my mobile chrome browser before stepping onto a plane, but the page memory gets garbage collected and they have to refresh when you go back to each tab. There are other ways to sync large portions of the site, but if we all did that, it would potentially be a lot of bandwidth and processing power for the site to handle.

Comment

Thanks coreyo! I eventually would have figured that out, but you got there immediately. Does anyone one know how to officially register this kind of request to the pit master or MH?

Comment

Spinaker tagged Meathead so he'll see this thread shortly and weigh in.

Comment

At this time the best way to hear about what's new is to read our email newsletters and watch today's posts in The Pit. We are no longer using the RSS feed. It never seemed to work for us properly because of the site structure. As we migrate the site to Drupal in the next 6 months we should be able to utilize RSS again.

Comment

• tbob4
                  tbob4 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Migrating to Drupal? I looked it up on Google Earth and I just can't find it. I suspect it might be somewhere near Henrik

• Henrik
                  Henrik commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ha ha! Actually, it is closer to Katmandu. it's like a secret bbq village, and they make their beef rub out of dried frog skin together with agave roots. It's allegedly 'the bomb'

• tbob4
                  tbob4 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Henrik - It's now Katpersondu. Hahahahahaha

I like using RSS to stay current because it lets me set it one time and then forget about it. Whenever there's something new, presto, it shows up on my RSS reader. It's nice for sites that update all the time, I get their fresh content, and it's nice for sites that update rarely, I get informed even if they post new material twice a year.

Yeah, I hate when you load material to read later and the browser insists on refreshing the page. Grr. Just keep it in memory, that's what memory is for!

Comment

Would love an RSS feed for the forums, which I think vBulletin can be configured to provide[1]. It may already be enabled and I'm just not quick enough to find it; if so, a pointer would sure be helpful. Huskee, Pit Boss can you help here?

Thanks!

[1] https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/...group_external

Comment

Is the "Simon and Garfunkal" rub available for purchase already made? Same question for all recommended rubs? Short on time but love this "stuff"!
                    Would like to have a recommended list of rubs, powders, etc! Too many out there😀Thanks!
                    Duke The Pup

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                      Jerod Broussard commented
                      Editing a comment
                      At present I'm pretty sure none of the rubs on the main site are for sale. There are rub manufactures you can get to whip up a large batch for ya. BTW Welcome to the forum and thanks for the support!

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here