Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

...The Book...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...The Book...

I think we need a Topic to discuss Meathead's wonderful, wonderful book. Mine arrived this afternoon, here in Germany some 20 miles north of Frankfurt :-)

I think folks are using it to cure insomnia.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Mine is keeping a table level...
      And just kidding of course.

You're too modest!

Comment

So, to get the ball rolling: Garlic Presses... Meathead recommends one on page 113 for recipes that ask for puréed garlic. Of course, they work. However, for the last 15 years I've been using a super-fine Microplane to get even better results. Clean up is far easier, and you lose less of each clove (as anyone who's cleaned out the skin from a garlic press will attest). I hope Meathead doesn't regard this as a criticism...just a pointer an *an even better* way of getting fresh garlic purée :-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender-4.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	204406

Name:	FullSizeRender-6.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	204407

Name:	FullSizeRender-10.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	204408
      Attached Files

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have used a zyliss press for years. I recently started using my microplane instead and I completely agree with you, Tongmaster

You can always just throw the cloves into a food processor as well. I use a garlic press but skin the cloves first and zap them in the microwave for about 3-5 seconds or blanch them first. Makes the press work better. If I used the plane I would cut my hands lol.

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Very hard to cut your hands on a small microplane/zester martybartram . Practically impossible, I think.

• martybartram
        martybartram commented
        Editing a comment
        You obviously are not familiar with my track record with sharp objects. LOL They know me by first name at the ER.

I love my microplane. Never used it on garlic though! Whenever i eat an orange I get the zest off and dry it just by letting it sit in a bowl overnight. Ditto for lemons and limes.

Comment

I just bought the Kindle edition. Haven't opened it yet, however. Maybe this week while I'm away for a few days at the beach.

Comment

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          You're going to really enjoy the Kindle version. Unlike most books OCR'd into Kindle format, this one doesn't suffer from all of the goofy typos that most scanned-but-not-proof-read books do. Pics and tables are rendered perfectly, too! As a bonus, it's much lighter than the paper version ... ...

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          "As a bonus, it's much lighter than the paper version"

MBMorgan One of my favorite things about Kindle cookbooks.

I hope to get mine back from my neighbor (the one that lives next door) so i can enter the selfie contest soon....

Comment

• Meathead
          Meathead commented
          Editing a comment
          Not many entries so far. Odds are good!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here