Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Catering / Hosting Events / Party Planning Forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catering / Hosting Events / Party Planning Forum

I'm pretty sure something similar was recommend some time ago but I figure it might be worth another shot now.

Let me preface this with "I am fully aware of Meathead's articles on catering and the complexities there of etc...

That being said... There seems to be an increase and some frequency around people asking advice on catering events, cooking for large groups (religious function, benefit, fundraiser, etc...), hosting a large dinner party, or things of that nature.

Just curious if it is time to maybe have a place to park such topics...

Maybe a main forum with sub-forums for each or something like that.

*Disclaimer... AR.com and employees are not licensed to give official advice on rules, regulations, licensing, etc... in regards to the food service business. Consult your local, state, and federal laws regarding such matters... or something like that...

Good idea Nate.

Comment

I'd be interested in participating.

Comment

I'm in.

Comment

This could be tip #1.

I'd highly recommend getting a Food Managers Certification, even if just a Food Handlers is required. I got mine just in case something came up. Good for 5 years and to renew you just have to retake the test.

Comment

• Dr ROK
            Dr ROK commented
            Editing a comment
            Second that recommendation. I assume you are referring to the ServeSafe certification. Got mine last year and thought I already knew it all. Course taught me otherwise.

Thanks Jerod Broussard , I am going to look into it soon. I have started to have some people ask me if I would be willing to cook just meat for them (pulled pork, ribs, chicken)... for family reunions, small parties, etc... as I am not setup to do large quantities of sides and such. I haven't agreed to do any but it has started me thinking I might be interested in doing that some for people. If I would ever decide to do it then I would definitely get my certification first...

That being said it seems like I keep seeing more of these kinds of posts where someone has been roped into cooking for an event or are hosting a small cook out at their house and are looking for advice and tips on cook times, quantities, sides, etc... Heck there have been at least a couple posts within the last day or two. I thought it might be worth having an official place to park those threads to make it easier to search and for guys with experience to find and answer....

Like any of the other forums we have on here there could obviously be a sticky topic or two in it that are always at top with the links to meathead's articles on catering etc..., recommendations like the one you just made from people with experience, and disclaimer about people needing to look into laws and regulations in their own state, counties, etc...

I figured some sub categories like to break it down like Catering, Hosting an Event, and/or Party Planning would be appropriate. Some people are doing big corporate gigs.... others are looking on tips for having 30 people over to their house for small party.... etc...

it was just a thought

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here