Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Improvements to The Pit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you are in one of the subforums, such as 'General discussion', and the thread titles are shown, somewhere next to the title I would like to see the pages listed with an option to go to the last page. Here's an example from another forum, the icon indicates a multi-page thread, and you can select one of the beginning pages, or just click Last Page

(1 2 3 ... Last Page)

In a similar vein, when you are in a thread and want to go to the last page to see the most recent posts, a "Last Page" option would be great instead of having to type over the current page number or use the vcr controls to navigate to the last page.
    Something like this -
    Page 1 of 854 1 2 3 11 51 101 501 > Last

Comment

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      This MAY be doable...

• Lost in China
      Lost in China commented
      Editing a comment
      This is a feature of Drupal and I don't think it can be changed.

Specifically in the "Show us what you're cooking" thread I'd like to be able to reach into my screen and grab a sample of every picture posted. What do you think, is there a way to make that happen?

Comment

• mayapoppa
      mayapoppa commented
      Editing a comment
      Well that didn't work...
      Maybe I request the ability to post .gifs in comments?
      In the meantime...http://giphy.com/gifs/cheezburger-ca...-nqnKLdvSJEsiA

• JohnF
      JohnF commented
      Editing a comment
      Right click save photo as XXXXXXX

• ribeyeguy
      ribeyeguy commented
      Editing a comment
      No, I meant reach in and grab an actual sizzling sample to taste. Sorry guys, it was a joke. Although, if there's an IT guy out there that can make it happen Meathead needs to hire him!

Separate the private messages from the "@ mentions." And make improvements to the mentions to ensure it works better than it does today. Sometimes they don't get picked up.

Comment

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      Can you elaborate? I'm not following you.

Originally posted by scottranda View Post
    Separate the private messages from the "@ mentions." And make improvements to the mentions to ensure it works better than it does today. Sometimes they don't get picked up.
    My experience with the @mentions is that it's browser dependent. It works great for me when I use Firefox. It doesn't work at all when I use Chrome. Perhaps it's a plug-in or extension I've installed in one browser but not the other, I'm not sure. The moral though is that it works as long as the browser/plug-in/extension doesn't interfere with it.

Comment

I agree with the location idea. I wish there was a way for people to at least disclose a geographic area, IF THEY WANT TO, in order to better communicate with nearby people for gatherings, competitions, etc... maybe you could join multiple areas if you were in a kind of boarder area or overlap area.

Also I wish there was a way to better filter things... for instance... if I am in "today's post", which is where a lot of people spend time, that there was a way to hide topics that continue to pop up that you might not be interested in.

As a side note... My wife and I have a Smart TV but don't subscribe to cable, sat, etc... we mostly just use hulu. The smart tv has a youtube app and a simple web browser... I have bookmarked AR on the browser so I can watch the pit's video series. Whatever format we are using works and I hope that keeps up. It is so much better watching hour and half long videos on the tv than computer. I do wish there were some more member videos either on here or youtube channel.

Comment

• Nate
        Nate commented
        Editing a comment
        Guest , was just thinking if there is a way for YT its easier to watch on mobile devices & AR could create different playlists like your kingsford series, reviews, interviews, how tos, etc... a lot of neat things you could do. If not on YT then maybe something more user friendly/formalized here.

• RichBrew
        RichBrew commented
        Editing a comment
        I LOVE the idea of the videos being in a format viewable on a smart tv.

• Nate
        Nate commented
        Editing a comment
        RichBrew , I'm able to pull up the videos here on the pit series forum by using my web app on my smart tv. Have to log into the pit as normal.. just takes a while without a keyboard and mouse... but a friendlier version would rock.

Currently when you tag someone in a post by typing @(user name) it doesn't work properly in all cases. Example: There is a user "smokeyboy" and a user "smokeyboy man", if you type "@smokeyboy man" you actually tag "@smokeyboy" if you don't click on the name from the popup, and if you do click on the name from the popup, it moves it to the beginning of your post.

Comment

• Meathead
        Meathead commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I don't think there is a fix for this unless we prevent members from putting spaces in their user names.

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        You could do like some sites do and have underscores in place of spaces

Not sure how to do it, but create an Amazing Ribs vCard or something of the like to share the website easily to those who've never heard of AR before. Like one of those "bump your phones" to give them the contact. Business cards with AR's info would be awesome, but this might cut down costs and you can allow all to use it.

Comment

• scottranda
        scottranda commented
        Editing a comment
        Theoretically, you can track who shared AR the most.

Allow for more than one picture for our user profile. Right now, we only get one picture which is our avatar. I'd like to see a few different pics of Pit members (if the post it), so we can see what they look like, or pictures of their BBQ setup.

Comment

Facilitation of Google Hangouts between members??? Set weekly or monthly hangouts.

Comment

• Meathead
          Meathead commented
          Editing a comment
          I like this!

• Lost in China
          Lost in China commented
          Editing a comment
          This would only affect users who are also signed up for that service. Is there enough of an overlap between "Pit Users" and this service's users to be worth the effort?

Originally posted by fuzzydaddy View Post
        Currently when you tag someone in a post by typing @(user name) it doesn't work properly in all cases. Example: There is a user "smokeyboy" and a user "smokeyboy man", if you type "@smokeyboy man" you actually tag "@smokeyboy" if you don't click on the name from the popup, and if you do click on the name from the popup, it moves it to the beginning of your post.
        You can use the format@"username with spaces here" (including the double quotes) and that will tell the system that the whole username is within the quotes.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
          fuzzydaddy commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. Didn't know that!

Support for a mobile app, like forum runner. They have a vbulletin plugin. The mobile site is decent, but the apps seem quicker and easier.

Last edited by RichBrew; March 31, 2016, 10:33 PM. Reason: Add link

Comment

• Meathead
          Meathead commented
          Editing a comment
          We looked into this and in order for it to work we need to make The Pit public. For obvious reasons, we can't do that.

• RichBrew
          RichBrew commented
          Editing a comment
          Does the entire forum have to go public? Maybe announcements or something could go public, and have a separate members only section.

Also, the little icon for jumping to the latest unread post is small, very difficult to use op iPhone/iPad
        Attached Files

Comment

• BruceB
          BruceB commented
          Editing a comment
          Where is this?

• RichBrew
          RichBrew commented
          Editing a comment
          Added an image. It's the little blue circle to the left of 'slow'. It wouldn't hurt to make it easier to find too!

Mobile App would be nice. Probably outside of what you're able to do.

Comment

• Jaytee
          Jaytee commented
          Editing a comment
          Tapatalk integration (it works with vBulletin) would provide a ton of functionality including a mobile app.
          forum owner, forum, tapatalk, plugin, plug-in, iphone, ipad, ipod touch, android, windows phone, client, platform, wordpress, bbpress, forums, forums.net, ipboard, kunena, mybb, phpbb, vbulletin, proboards, simple machines, xenforo, woltlab, rss

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          Pork Lord it's VERY easy to post pics here using your phone. Huskee has written instructions on this that can be found in the Welcome and Announcements channel.

Jaytee tapatalk isn't possible because The Pit is a private forum.

• Jaytee
          Jaytee commented
          Editing a comment
          David Parrish as far as I can tell Tapatalk supports private forums. might be worth investigating further, it would give you several of the suggestions on this thread...

The page number buttons would be nice to have at the top in addition to the bottom.

Increase the character limit on comments. Allow emoticons in comments.

Comment

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          mgaretz here are my thoughts on the comment system, and why it is the way it is (post #17). I think 300 is a very good #.
          I tried to post a comment and got an error. It said, "Error: Maximum number of characters exceeded. It cannot be more than 250 characters. The current

• mgaretz
          mgaretz commented
          Editing a comment
          So if I post something I've cooked and someone posts a comment wanting to know what I did, you'd prefer that I quote it and post the recipe downthread? That takes up more space and disconnects the comment spatially from the question.

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          If a person wants to engage in a discussion about your cook, and your cook is the topic of the thread, then they should post their question as a reply. If it's off the topic of the thread then you two should chat by comments while everyone else continues the on topic discussion through replies.

Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post

My experience with the @mentions is that it's browser dependent. It works great for me when I use Firefox. It doesn't work at all when I use Chrome. Perhaps it's a plug-in or extension I've installed in one browser but not the other, I'm not sure. The moral though is that it works as long as the browser/plug-in/extension doesn't interfere with it.
        Works fine for me in Chrome

Comment

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep after pondering this a bit more I realized it's just my home laptop where chrome gives me mentions grief. Must be a plug-in, extension, or something else I've got installed.

• Jon Solberg
          Jon Solberg commented
          Editing a comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here