Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Three ways to post photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Three ways to post photos

First, by clicking the "Image" button from the toolbar.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160314_135103.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	150498

Second, by clicking the "Upload Attachments" button. This method lets me choose the size.

Name:	image_18129.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	150499

Third, by clicking the "Share Photos" button and then "Upload". The photo does not appear in the post and will have to be clicked separately.

Nicely documented! Perhaps David ( David Parrish ) can incorporate into his help posts.

Comment

We've already got that. It's in the welcome and announcements channel. Huskee can link us.

Comment

Excellent ... thanks.

Comment

Well, the unspoken subtext is that there should probably only be one way to post photos.

With the first method, the photo is always huge size. It used to overflow the screen, but I suppose that has been fixed and now it only takes up all the available horizontal area. It cannot be clicked on to see full size.

With the second method, the photo's size can be controlled. However, an extra click is needed to insert it into the current post. After posting, the photo can be clicked on to be seen full size.

The third method needs to be clicked on to see anything, the preview is far too small. However, instead of loading a preview image, it goes to a lightbox that loads the full 4-5 (or whatever) megabyte image, but the image is still small/preview. Click on it again, and you get the full image, but then there's no way to get back to where you were other than the browser's back button twice.

Method 1 requires you to first toggle the Advanced Editor, something not visible by default. Then you have to hunt down the icon.

Method 2 requires you to click Upload Attachments, which makes me think of attaching a .DOC or .PDF file or something like that. However I tried uploading these kinds of files and none of them worked. Is it for photos only? It doesn't say.

Method 3 is probably the friendliest way as there is a big camera icon right there at the top. However still requires you to notice that an additional option to Upload or Select from Photo Album has popped up at the bottom of the screen. It's the least useful as the photos are far too small to be visible and must be clicked on individually in order to load, and the full size photo must be waited for every time. The other methods load all photos when the page is first drawn and don't have to be messed with thereafter.

Actually, looking at the picture posting tutorial, the instructional graphic has an X on the camera icon and says not to use it? Without being a jerk, why is it there then? The graphic also overlaps the side of the screen.

Comment

Lost in China we have multiple ways to post photos because it gives the most functionality across all devices and browsers. The upload attachment function is our favorite picture posting method, for example, but doesn't work with mobile devices. The Camera icon does. If you're on a PC you are better off using the upload attachment icon. If you are on your phone you are limited to the camera icon.

Please note WE offer server space to host the images. That's a service you don't see in many forums. They force you to upload the photo to a service like photobucket and then link to it. Now if that's how you like posting photos, feel free! We offer that option as well.

So basically we've offered all of these options to make the forum work great across all devices. It'd be great if we could keep to one solution, but there is no one solution fits all solution.

If you have a suggestion please be plain spoken with it next time and don't rely on "unspoken subtext".

Comment

Lost in China Are you using a smartphone or tablet to view and post? Their browsers are not as sophisticated and capable as desktop computers.

Comment

• David Parrish
              David Parrish commented
              Editing a comment
              Lost in China in addition to your usage many folks like to post pics with their phones, hence we have multiple options for multiple platforms. There is a short learning curve, yes, and that's why we are here to help!

• Lost in China
              Lost in China commented
              Editing a comment
              So the different posting methods work inconsistently across platforms? So there are multiple ways as a workaround? Why does it not work here and works everywhere else?

• Lost in China
              Lost in China commented
              Editing a comment
              Well I don't mean to be coming across as a spanish inquisition or something. I get it now that this is just a hacked-together Drupal forum, which explains why it's so idiosyncratic.

Originally posted by Lost in China
            So the different posting methods work inconsistently across platforms? So there are multiple ways as a workaround? Why does it not work here and works everywhere else?
            This is a function of the heavily fractured world we live in. There are many manufacturers out there making laptops, phones, tablets, etc... There are just as many software developers making operating systems and browsers. These folks compete with each other and often cripple their own technology so it won't work with other manufacturer's products. We keep the photo posting options wide open so that no matter what device or software you are running, as a paid member you will have a photo upload option that works. We're always here to help when folks need a little guidance. There is always room for improvement, which is why we have this suggestion box, but the "multiple photo posting option" system we have in place works and works well.

Comment

Lost in China, FWIW I change the size of the image all the time when I use the Image icon to upload photos.

For this one, I uploaded the full size photo and chose to display it as a thumbnail:

Name:	Beef Ribs.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	150734

When I click on it in a post, the full size appears. I click on the back button in my browser to return to the post...

Kathryn

P.S. I call this my puny beef ribs photo. They tasted great by my husband and I felt like dogs with a pile of bones. Now I know what not to buy.
              Last edited by fzxdoc; March 24, 2016, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost in China
                Well I don't mean to be coming across as a spanish inquisition or something. I get it now that this is just a hacked-together Drupal forum, which explains why it's so idiosyncratic.
                The forum is vBulletin, not Drupal. The Drupal hacks you mention are so that the forum integrates with all of the free site that is AmazingRibs.com, which does have a Drupal component. vBulletin is one of the leading and most expensive forum packages out there. We chose it because of it's versatility and feature set.

That said, we are in the business, make that passion, of barbecue and the science behind it. We're doing our best with the software, but we pride ourselves on helping folks learn to love outdoor cooking. Let's not miss the forest for the trees by getting lost in the quirks of trying to make all the different software packages in the world work together. Instead, let's appreciate just how special a place The Pit is.

Comment

I've used vBulletin many times and it's always been a standard forum right up there with all the others. This forum just feels like Drupal, what with its concept of "Replies" and "Comments" being separate, in the fashion of Drupal's "Nodes" and "Comments". Every vBulletin I've ever seen looks friendly and normal, like this one or this other one. No "Comments", just a flat string of replies, and a way to post pictures which works on desktop and mobile. If it is vBulletin then it's even odder that it's so different from everywhere else.

Well, not trying to be Mr. Negative, but I just didn't get why I found this forum software so unfamiliar and hard to figure out while others were not. Usually when I join a new forum it's bam bam bam, things posted. Here, I had to sit down and study all the different ways of posting to figure out what they were. I figured since it's a paying forum I should say something so it could be better for users that come after me. And I really felt someone had sprung a "gotcha" on me with that undocumented 250 character limit. Let me write all that and then pop up and tell me I violated the rules. Yeah maybe there was a poll but I missed it because like most of the 11,000 users I don't check the site every day, maybe once a week if I'm not cooking. Not really a lot to talk about BBQ in the winter, and around here it's been a long winter.

Comment

Jon Solberg did you find your car keys?

Comment

Originally posted by Lost in China View Post
                      I've used vBulletin many times and it's always been a standard forum right up there with all the others. This forum just feels like Drupal, what with its concept of "Replies" and "Comments" being separate, in the fashion of Drupal's "Nodes" and "Comments". Every vBulletin I've ever seen looks friendly and normal, like this one or this other one. No "Comments", just a flat string of replies, and a way to post pictures which works on desktop and mobile. If it is vBulletin then it's even odder that it's so different from everywhere else.

Well, not trying to be Mr. Negative, but I just didn't get why I found this forum software so unfamiliar and hard to figure out while others were not. Usually when I join a new forum it's bam bam bam, things posted. Here, I had to sit down and study all the different ways of posting to figure out what they were. I figured since it's a paying forum I should say something so it could be better for users that come after me. And I really felt someone had sprung a "gotcha" on me with that undocumented 250 character limit. Let me write all that and then pop up and tell me I violated the rules. Yeah maybe there was a poll but I missed it because like most of the 11,000 users I don't check the site every day, maybe once a week if I'm not cooking. Not really a lot to talk about BBQ in the winter, and around here it's been a long winter.

We are running the latest vBulletin software (version 5). At least one of the sites you linked is only on version 4. The comments are a feature that can be turned off. Other sites might have chosen to do that. We like them, as do most folks in The Pit.

As far as the character limit, check the other thread you started. I'll be posting an update there soon.

Comment

I should add that I think this forum is great and has a ton of great people. I know being a moderator is a thankless task of endless janitorial duty. I am really happy with all of Meathead's recipes and think that he's really changed the way I think about cooking. And for the better. I learned how to do some really kickass BBQ and am really looking forward to stretching my muscles this year with my new 21" Weber ripoff and the Smoke-n-Sear (which I bought purely on its rave reviews from this site). I'm already in line to do more 50-person cookouts at my new neighbor's bar (which is separate from the other bar that I did 50-person cookouts at) and it'll all be with the recipes and techniques I learned from here. All I did was choose the recipes that I could make locally, e.g. the rosemary lamb because I have a great source of lamb, instead of the really ace dishes like pork ribs, which are hard to find. I was really impressed by my ability to make coleslaw, and it really smelled and tasted like coleslaw. And the best part is, everyone thinks I'm the genius because I can make such great-tasting food! No, all I did was pay attention and follow the recipe.

And since recipes usually make a lot of assumptions about what the cook knows (in my case, zero) this forum has been invaluable for getting the answers that I have no other way of obtaining. I ask all these incredibly stupid and literal questions, and people who know what they're talking about explain it patiently until I understand. I forked over twenty bucks specifically to join this forum, something I usually would never pay for, and I'll happily pay again because it's just that good. And the reason it's good is because of all the people on here. I'd like to thank all of them for everything they've done for me, because I can make much, much better food now.
                        Last edited by Lost in China; March 24, 2016, 03:24 PM.

Comment

• David Parrish
                          David Parrish commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Lost in China you just made several moderator's days. Thanks!

One thing though, this gig isn't thankless. We get thanked all the time and genuinely love what we do

• fuzzydaddy
                          fuzzydaddy commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Lost in China I'll be short...well said and ditto! This is a great place for information and wonderful folks abound.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here