Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cannot post comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot post comments

I tried to post a comment and got an error. It said, "Error: Maximum number of characters exceeded. It cannot be more than 250 characters. The current number of characters is 401"

Lost in China, I have ran into this as well! It's kind of annoying but in Fairness the Pit Boss, David Parish, had some discussion on this in Feb!
    I guess if we have a long winded comment to make We will have to make it a Post?
    Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      I am not aware of this limit. I have posted very long comments as have MANY other members. Can you take a screen shot of the error when you see it? Let's see if we can figger this out.

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      A "comment" like this is directly below a "post" is limited to 250 characters. But a "post" like the original one in this thread, has a MUCH larger limit. One can post a picture to a post, not a comment.

I've posted plenty of comments before. They've been long.

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Lost in China ...

When I get that message... I click out of it and copy & paste what I had typed into the new post box. It's pretty simple.

Originally posted by Lost in China View Post
    I've posted plenty of comments before. They've been long.
    It's a recent change, comments are limited to 250 characters. If you need to say more you can make a post like Dan says, or quote the person you're replying to and they'll get a notification just like when commenting to them.

Comment

I truly wish this had been announced, or better yet the "comment" button said 250 characters max, and provided a countdown, and even better yet, simply refused to take any more characters after 250. This is like Twitter.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        There was a thread with a poll to vote.

I voted to do away with comments. I don't like hitting the go to new posts button and being taken to a comment on a year old post, and then trying to find where I really left off. But I guess I am in the minority! So I will use my right to be contrarian and only post replies and not comments. If this was the only irritation in my life I would be in heaven. There are many other things that are worse than this!
      Last edited by Yno; March 22, 2016, 07:10 AM.

Comment

I don't know...this is one of the most idiosynratic forums I've ever used. Everything is custom to this one website and I can't use the knowledge I've gained from other forums to successfully post here. There are at least three different ways to post pictures. There are dozens of windswept, unused subforums. Comments get cut off with no warning beforehand, while you're spending all that time writing them. I wish this was more like every other forum on the internet that we all already know how to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost in China View Post
          I don't know...this is one of the most idiosynratic forums I've ever used. Everything is custom to this one website and I can't use the knowledge I've gained from other forums to successfully post here. There are at least three different ways to post pictures.
          Post pictures however you'd like. We have a picture posting tutorial that works well with most desktops. If you're using mobile, you can simply use the camera icon. vBulletin is regularly making updates and they get applied as they're available.

There are dozens of windswept, unused subforums.
          If unused subforums bother you, you're welcome to either skip them like everyone else does or add to them and they won't be unused. We're less than 2yrs old. Soon enough we'll expand. For now if a room is empty, walk past it.

Comments get cut off with no warning beforehand, while you're spending all that time writing them.
          As we've discussed the last time you mentioned this there was a poll announcing the upcoming change, which also has been discussed in this very thread. Comments are meant to be brief. If your thoughts will be longer than a quick comment, leave them as a post/reply.

I wish this was more like every other forum on the internet that we all already know how to use.
          Sorry you're finding this so difficult. You are in the minority, as we have over 2000 active members and over 100,000 posts and counting. We have a great community here and we value all the friendly conversations, tips, tricks and encouragement that each member can share with the next. It may be helpful for you to review the Homework/Tips/Tricks/How-to post again.
          Last edited by Huskee; March 22, 2016, 03:04 AM.

Comment

Lost in China,

It has been said that the best minds are idiosyncratic and unpredictable as they follow the course of discovery.

With all due respect. Why so angry? I'm I just reading you wrong maybe?

We have a great community here regardless of the forum function. How can we, the community, help you? Can we help you with posting of pics? How can we, as a group, keep the wind off the seldom used threads? How can we continue to build the community with the tools at hand?

How can we the users make this a better experience for you?

Last edited by Jon Solberg; March 22, 2016, 07:51 AM.

Comment

We are always looking for way to improve. We think what we have done is logical and intuitive trying to improve upon the problems we have seen in the other forums (so that is why we are different). In addition we have a HELP document that tries to explain how things work (click HELP in the red bar near the top), and there are more posts with tips in the forum titled "Welcome". We have listened to member suggestions (no more ads!) and a 90% renewal rate. I'm sure we can do better, but we have very few complaints. If you have SPECIFIC recommendations, we'd love to hear them. How would YOU make things better?

Comment

I personally have found both the public side and the Pit to be very easy to move around in. I've frequented AmazingRibs.com for 5 years. I still find new and very informative information from time to time even though it's been there for the entire 5 years.

Posting pictures on AR is much easier than on most other cooking website's I frequent. I don't even have to use a third party website to post pictures anymore. Straight from my camera roll onto my Pit comments.

The many and substantial changes over the five year stretch have been seamless and subtle but very beneficial. The adds never did bother me much. I knew they were necessary to provide me with all of this FREE content.

The real value of AmazingRibs.com to me... Is the daily exchange of idea's between us members and the moderators. I've NEVER not been able to get help on any problem I've encountered using the website.

I'm just saying its a comfortable home away from home and I enjoy exchanging information with other PitHead's.👍

Comment

• Lost in China
                  Lost in China commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Arrrgh! The 250 character limit strikes again!@#!@#!

AAAAGH, now there's a timer telling me to wait before I can post agaain @*@#*$&)@#(*&)@(#*%&)#(@$*&)@#$*

• Lost in China
                  Lost in China commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It's just the way that the forums are presented...really tears my hair out. It could be done so much better. I've moderated lots of forums in my time and this one is just crying out for consolidation and removal of duplicate features.

• Breadhead
                  Breadhead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Lost in China ...

Hmmm... I don't notice all the duplication of which you speak. Simply because I only click on topics that I find interesting. I'm 65 years old and still have a full head of hair.😉

I must say the term "windswept" subforums is a fine piece of writing.

Comment

• johnec00
                  johnec00 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I can almost taste the delicious smoky bbq flavors wafting over the windswept subforums.

On a more serious note, I am a definite newbie to this form stuff. I think I have about 5 posts in the year and a half that I have been a member. I have NEVER posted to any other site, so take what I say however you want. I have found the Pit forums very user friendly and intuitive. In addition, the help system and several instructive user/moderator/Pit Boss posts are very useful. The "Today's Posts" menu item makes it very easy to keep up with what's going on without regard to what forum/subforum somebody has posted to. The advanced search capability also works across forums and is very well done when compared the crappy search capabilities of many "for profit" commercial sites. So, I give the Pit and AR my vote of "well done".

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the nice words!

Lost in China There is a LIVELY debate on this topic going on offline between the moderators and me. Hang in there.

Comment

• Lost in China
                  Lost in China commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well, I wouldn't bitch and moan so much other than there's no warning or anything. If maybe there was a countdown timer like in Twitter or a note &quot;250 character only replies, which is usually 3 lines <or whatever>&quot; then that would be much better.

• Lost in China
                  Lost in China commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think I've figured it out. Node...today's posts...this forum appears to be a hacked-up Drupal. Drupal has a really crappy forum, or at least it did when I ran it. I installed a module called 'flatforum' that removed the comment/reply dichotomy.

• Lost in China
                  Lost in China commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Then everything was just replies and it all went down the page smoothly. I think I also installed another module that made Drupal's forum look and behave more like the other standard forums on the net that everyone already knows how to use. Forget what it was called, though.

Anybody seen my car keys?

Comment

• David Parrish
                  David Parrish commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Best to take the MegaGulp out of the cupholder and see if the keys aren't hidden under there

• Jon Solberg
                  Jon Solberg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nope not there....
                  Last edited by Jon Solberg; March 23, 2016, 02:50 PM.

• Meathead
                  Meathead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have them.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here