Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intermittent Issue with Safari on iMac

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intermittent Issue with Safari on iMac

I HATE dealing with intermittent problems almost as much as I hate reporting them and yet ... Running Safari 16.2 on iMac (MacOS Ventura 13.1): Once in a while, the Pit stops responding to mouse-overs and clicks. I can restore things by simply closing and restarting Safari ... until it happens again. I haven't seen the problem on any other sites (could it be vBulletin?) and can't predictably reproduce the problem. I haven't experienced the same issue with Safari on either iOS or iPadOS.

Let me know if you need anything any more specific, RayJ ...

Hmmm. I'll keep an eye out for this, as most of my daytime surfing is from an iMac 27 (Intel) also running Ventura 13.1 and latest Safari. I've not noticed this, but will pay attention.

Comment

Yes. Intermittent problems are the worst. Never a simple or clear cause and effect. Painful debugging techniques required to find the cause. Fix, save, refresh, nope - fix, save, refresh, nope -fix, save, refresh, nope - for hours.... no joy.

I would normally start with Safari as the potential culprit. But this exact same thing happened to me a few days ago. On Firefox.

So that would indicate that it is the site. And since hovers and (most) clicks are controlled by CSS and Javascript respectively, I am thinking that something is not loading correctly or the cache (site or browser) is getting corrupted.

You can help. If it happens again, try to get the Browser Console to display. On Firefox and Chrome it is CTRL+Shift+I and click the Console tab (be sure all the views are enabled: error, css, warnings...). No sure if that is the same for Safari.

You should be able to right click on the console and Copy All Messages. A screen shot will work as well.

Comment

• MBMorgan
        MBMorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        I've got the console up ... but haven't been able to trigger the problem (big surprise). I'll keep at it .... probably tomorrow, though.

• MBMorgan
        MBMorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        Just checking in, RayJ. I’ve spent several hours attempting to replicate the reported issue … but no joy. I’ll keep trying and will let you know if there’s anything to share.

• raywjohnson
        raywjohnson commented
        Editing a comment
        Carry on. I have been trying as well without success. Very odd.

Originally posted by MBMorgan View Post
      I HATE dealing with intermittent problems almost as much as I hate reporting them and yet ... Running Safari 16.2 on iMac (MacOS Ventura 13.1): Once in a while, the Pit stops responding to mouse-overs and clicks. I can restore things by simply closing and restarting Safari ... until it happens again. I haven't seen the problem on any other sites (could it be vBulletin?) and can't predictably reproduce the problem. I haven't experienced the same issue with Safari on either iOS or iPadOS.

Let me know if you need anything any more specific, RayJ ...
      Venture 13.2 is out - update and see if that fixes it.
      Do you have this problem with any other browser?

Comment

• MBMorgan
        MBMorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        I won't be making any version changes until I've been able to replicate the issue ... and "no" to your question about other browsers. That proves nothing however as I rarely use another browser.

Hey RayJ - been digging and I'm pretty much convinced that the problem I've had with Safari is specifically a Safari issue and is almost certainly not the fault of the Pit. If anything happens to make me suspect otherwise, I'll file a new bug report ... but for now, you can close this puppy!

Comment

I suspect cache (as usual) as mouse-over/hover actions are CSS based and (many) clicks are Javascript based. When it happens again, try reload the page or even restarting Safari.

Some info on how to do that.

To reload a page, choose View > Reload Page, or press Command-R.

To restart Safari, Command-Q to quit Safari. If Safari doesn't quit, press Option-Command-Esc to force Safari to quit.​​

I have been trying to find more info and it does seem that Safari in particular has this issue.

Here are some articles that may help identify the cause. I

If Safari on Mac doesn't open a webpage or isn’t working as expected
      If Safari doesn't load a webpage, stops responding, quits unexpectedly, or otherwise doesn't work as expected, these solutions might help.

Can't click on anything on Safari

Safari doesn't open links

can't click on anything in Safari

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here