Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestion: automatically reformatting Amazon links?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestion: automatically reformatting Amazon links?

We know it's *possible* to do, but the question is whether the forum software would allow it or support it.

whenever anybody posts an Amazon link, automatically reformat the posted URL to include the AR affiliate tag (whether it be adding the AR tag if the URL doesn't have an affiliate tag on it -- or replace someone else's affiliate tag with the AR tag)

Good idea

Comment

That is a good idea. I will see if I can get the OK to do this.

Comment

This is a really good idea.

Comment

Happy to provide a suggested pseudocode flow diagram

Comment

• raywjohnson
            raywjohnson commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks. Making changes to vBulletin 5 forum software is not trivial. They removed all the hooks and now use template hooks only. I will probably have to just add some Javascript to do the changes on the fly. Easy to do. Find all links that match the Amazon link format and alter them.

raywjohnson maybe this can help, or at least provide some inspiration for your own code work? https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=314683

Comment

• raywjohnson
            raywjohnson commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks. But that is vBulletin 4. No compatibility with vB 5.

Alrighty then!

Got approval to do this. Testing on the development side. It is just going to be a simple Javascript. That way all existing links will get converted on the fly.

Comment

When will this be live?

Comment

Oops! I forgot to mention that this is live.

Test: https://smile.amazon.com/Royal-Gourm...dp/B08NCDN8T8/

One small issue. I did not find the trigger to cause the change on the fly. As in when you post the link.

It will not show for you initially. Once you refresh the page, the converted link will show.

Comment

• treesmacker
                treesmacker commented
                Editing a comment
                Interesting that that link took me to my Amazon "Smile" page with Amazing Ribs tacked on the end. I guess that means my charity gets a cut as well as Amazing Ribs.

• raywjohnson
                raywjohnson commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep. The link I posted is to Amazon Smile. It works for those links as well. It is dependent on the origin link. It does not automatically add the smile subdomain. I only use Amazon Smile myself. I like to give a little to charity whenever possible.

Will be interesting to see/hear how the Amazon metrics track with this one change.

Comment

raywjohnson while you're on this particular forum post, the Meathead book URL didn't work for us in the right rail.

Took me to https://amazingribs.com/about-us/our...e-and-grilling , which 404'd.

Comment

Originally posted by WillTravelForFood View Post
                  raywjohnson while you're on this particular forum post, the Meathead book URL didn't work for us in the right rail.

Took me to https://amazingribs.com/about-us/our...e-and-grilling , which 404'd.
                  Thanks for letting me know. Link fixed.

With 400 pages and more than 400 of my photographs plus color illustrations, there is new material and new recipes not on this website, and the whole thing is organized so that you can sit down in an easy chair and flow from start to finish.

Comment

raywjohnson here's an Amazon link test case to check out, to make sure it's working for ya:

Comment

Originally posted by WillTravelForFood View Post
                      raywjohnson here's an Amazon link test case to check out, to make sure it's working for ya:

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-for-my-cabana
                      Thanks! Updated the code. To account for dp, gp/product, o, and exec/obidos/ASIN.

Comment

raywjohnson another amazon link for you https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ts#post1294791

Comment

• raywjohnson
                        raywjohnson commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks! I think I have that fixed. Please let me know if you spot more.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here