Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possibility of a non search engine indexed channel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apparently PJ likes beans in his chili…along with armadillo 😂
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2B5D02A8-0388-4847-926D-2226317DCEEA.png
Views:	160
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	1136115

Comment

Huskee I think it is becoming clear your plan should be that Panhead John needs a channel all to himself and leave everything else the way it is...

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Great idea! I’m sure membership would soar! 🙄

Meathead Huskee Just curious as to whether there has been a chance to devise a plan for this yet. Thanks!

Comment

I think it is important for the valuable info and recipes in the Pit to be found in Google searches. That is why we let non-members 5 free pages. The Pitmaster Club is our largest and most important revenue stream and this helps recruit members. We could make a private channel but I fear members will use it for all kinds of things and that would undermine our efforts to keep things organized. But the simple fact is that info in here is never high in the search results and unless they search on a user name they would not be able to find anything personal. And then it would be hard to link the user name to the person's real identity.

Comment

Thank you for the update. I understand the reasoning and it makes sense, it's just a little disappointing. I have not been here for a long time, but this appears to me to be a tight knit community. I think one of the benefits of a tight knit community is the level of sharing and openness that is possible. It's a shame that there can't be a space for topics that are purely personal and I am not sure I understand the distinction between that and normal moderation. However I'm not involved in running anything like this, so I am sure there must be things that I am not considering.

I really appreciate the transparency and your taking the time to address this issue, especially during this busy holiday season.

All the best and happy smoking! I'm off to edit some posts.

g

Comment

The original issue was asking for one small section, separate from the rest of the site, specifically for dealing with member peer to peer support on personally sensitive subjects. Nothing was mentioned or suggested that would affect anything to do with the indexing of anything related to the cooking, recipes, food information, nor the rest of the site.

Comment

• STEbbq
              STEbbq commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, I was just thinking Off Topic.

• Meathead
              Meathead commented
              Editing a comment
              I could create a section titled "Discuss your marital relations only here" and I guarantee that within a week there will be recipes and other stuff in there. Managing order within this little section of the world is the biggest headache. As I said, as long as you use your user name nobody on the outside will know who you are.

Originally posted by Meathead View Post
            I think it is important for the valuable info and recipes in the Pit to be found in Google searches. That is why we let non-members 5 free pages. The Pitmaster Club is our largest and most important revenue stream and this helps recruit members. We could make a private channel but I fear members will use it for all kinds of things and that would undermine our efforts to keep things organized. But the simple fact is that info in here is never high in the search results and unless they search on a user name they would not be able to find anything personal. And then it would be hard to link the user name to the person's real identity.
            You're all overthinking this - just set Off Topic to not index. By definition OT does not (or at least should not) have recipe or cooking related information in it, so you're not compromising the exposure of that information to search engines.

In fact having OT indexed likely hurts AR's SEO slightly since Google currently has over 7000 pages of that channel indexed and few if any are going to be cooking related, so those pages are noise. See https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...off%20topic%22
            Last edited by rickgregory; December 18, 2021, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here