Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Editing the text of Subject in a post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Editing the text of Subject in a post

it would be great to have a way to correct the Subject text in a post we create. Sometimes auto-correct changes it when "saved", or we just want to change it.

Isn't that what the "EDIT" box is for under your message.
    Only problem is in most cases you've sent, in my case mostly gibberish, the message already and are hoping you fix the problem before the message is read by others.

Comment

• GolfGeezer
      GolfGeezer commented
      Editing a comment
      smokin fool The problem is that the OP cannot edit the text of the Subject line that they post under. So, any mistake in the Subject cannot be "edited".

You should be able to edit the Subject text of the Thread (OP).

Here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	edit-thread-subject.png
Views:	205
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	1109067

Comment

• GolfGeezer
      GolfGeezer commented
      Editing a comment
      raywjohnson Nope, no can do. As Panhead John states below, maybe it can be done in the first few seconds, but once it appears to "indexed", it cannot be touched by us mere mortals.

Originally posted by raywjohnson View Post
    You should be able to edit the Subject text of the Thread (OP).

Here:

Name:	edit-thread-subject.png
Views:	205
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	1109067
    I've never been able to do this as the title is always greyed out on the edit screen.

Name:	noedit.png
Views:	199
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	1109072

Comment

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      Note that us mere mortals also don't get the Advanced Options choice. Mods have always been able to edit titles, not us lowly peons. :-)

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      GolfGeezer pkadare is correct. Huskee told me a while back that only the mods can edit OR delete a post. Once you post it yourself, you do have a very brief period of time you can make an edit to the "title". Once posted, you might have less than a minute that you can make an edit to the title. But I’m just guessing at that time frame. Huskee also mentioned that if you want an edit made to your title, feel free to message or PM a moderator and they will do it for you. Hope this helps.

• raywjohnson
      raywjohnson commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry about that! I thought I checked the permissions for this. I gave bad info. As Huskee says below, if you need a title fixed, let one of the mods know.

You can't edit a post's title, because you could potentially ruin a valuable topic that has lots of great information by re-titling it maliciously. For the same reason you cannot delete a topic that you've started. You could lose tons of good info, let's say if you got mad at someone and deleted the whole string. At least I assume this is why that limitation is in place.

You can however edit anything inside the body of your posts & comments, and you can delete you own individual replies & comments.

If you need a typo corrected in a topic's title, just @ one of the mods.

Comment

Glad I found this. I added a detailed write up to a post I created seeking advice on SVQ & QVQ, and wanted to update the subject to reflect the thread was updated with the detailed results of the cook, but could not. Now I understand why.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here