Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Server Changeover - Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Server Changeover - Questions

Since we’ll be switching to a new server Monday morning I have a few questions for the admins. For quite a while now, when switching between pages on The Pit, it is sometimes painfully slow when going to "Messages" It sometimes will take 5 or 6 seconds for my messages to appear, after clicking on "Messages". But it’s always usually 3 or 4 seconds at least. I have pretty fast internet speeds too, 150-200 Mbps. Is this normal? I’ve noticed the free side is faster than The Pit side.

Will we notice any changes on The Pit side, as far as the time to change between pages?
    And also, what differences, if any, should we notice on The Pit side after switching servers, Thanks
    Last edited by Panhead John; September 11, 2021, 07:38 AM.

Panhead John What is your big hurry? Will 2-3 extra seconds mess up your schedule? You're retired, you're old, you have nothing else to do,

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      You’re just mad because I exposed your propensity for wearing women’s clothing.

• DavidNorcross
      DavidNorcross commented
      Editing a comment
      You really cant make this stuff up...

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Clark "You're retired, you're old, you have nothing else to do," For a moment I thought you were posting about me.

Yes Panhead John. All your wildest dreams will come true after this server upgrade.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      I love it! Just Panhead John's dreams? What about the rest of us?

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Jim, I asked first! Wait your turn.

• DavidNorcross
      DavidNorcross commented
      Editing a comment
      I can only imagine what his wildest dreams are Huskee .....

OMG!! 5 or 6 seconds! What is the world coming to?

Comment

• GolfGeezer
      GolfGeezer commented
      Editing a comment
      I guess it is understandable as Panhead John ‘s major income comes from people ordering his paper plates. Of course, his web site is the epitome of technology! 😜

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, reckon he could sign up fer a year of AOL Dial up; Hail, I'll throw in a 28k Sportster modem...Top O' th Line, in their day...

Reckon that would put things in perspective...

• Clark
      Clark commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones I have a beat-up mouse pad from State Farm that I can throw in for Panhead John.

Working for Microsoft and being on the Azure Security team, the "switching to ***a*** new server" made me chuckle. :-)

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee I just took yer joke, an ran with it, Brother!

I'll buy tickets, if yer gonna also play me some guitfiddle, fair enuff?
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 11, 2021, 11:48 AM.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh man might have to charge for that double feature, an attempt at standup AND guitar playin'? Whoo-wee! Mr. Bones

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      It's On then!!!
      You brang th bourbon, I'll gladly supply guitfiddles...
      Huskee
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 11, 2021, 01:01 PM. Reason: I'm a spaz...

Well…..I’m guessing that’s gonna be a big fat no. Maybe I’ll just go join ol ………at BBQ Brethren.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Hahahahaha!

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      good luck; they have Standards LOL!

I think this is one of those posts that I need to just scroll on by without commenting.
    Last edited by CaptainMike; September 11, 2021, 11:13 AM.

Comment

• Draznnl
      Draznnl commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm trying to.

... scrolling ... scrolling ... scrolling ...

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      "keep them dogies scrollin"

Originally posted by Panhead John View Post
    Since we’ll be switching to a new server Monday morning I have a few questions for the admins. For quite a while now, when switching between pages on The Pit, it is sometimes painfully slow when going to "Messages" It sometimes will take 5 or 6 seconds for my messages to appear, after clicking on "Messages". But it’s always usually 3 or 4 seconds at least. I have pretty fast internet speeds too, 150-200 Mbps. Is this normal? I’ve noticed the free side is faster than The Pit side.

Will we notice any changes on The Pit side, as far as the time to change between pages?
    And also, what differences, if any, should we notice on The Pit side after switching servers, Thanks
    The new server is the same as the current one in terms of CPU, Memory, etc. So there should be little or no noticeable changes.

I am not sure what could cause a 5 second delay for messages. It is possible the server can get a little busy and slow down from time to time.

Since you seem to be the only one having this issue, I have to assume it is something on your side that is the cause. May not be, but we need to determine that for sure.

Things that could be the cause: browser (plugins that block things), computer/OS (old hardware), router (needs restarted), ISP (throttling or filtering). Also, how many devices are sharing your internet? If someone else is streaming Netflix (or other service), you are not getting 150-200 Mbps.

It could be that your ISP is the problem. I have Cox 1000mbps service. I rarely get that. Especially in the early afternoon when everyone gets home and starts streaming movies.

Comment

• Davek8282
      Davek8282 commented
      Editing a comment
      raywjohnson I'd be willing to bet if you took a poll a lot of members would be willing to contribute to help slow down the connection for Panhead John

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm not overly worried about it, but it is noticeable I'm sure other see it too, just not something they would point out. I wouldn't have except PJ was left standing on his own as per usual, figured I'd validate his experience

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Davek8282 Or you can just bypass my posts. Better still, just block me.
      Last edited by Panhead John; September 11, 2021, 09:44 PM.

Will refunds be available for the 2 to 4 hours that we will not be able to access the site? Afterall, there are only 8,760 hours in a year. That's some pennies on the dollar right there. I'm no mathmaticstition but sounds about right.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow RayJ made a funny !!! I didn't know computer nerds had a sense of humor !!!

(Just kidding bud, keep up the good work. And I promise to not just call you Johnson!!!)

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      raywjohnson Hi Ray, I just emailed you a couple of videos. Thank you sir!

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Careful opening those PJ videos!!!

New Server Changeover/Migration completed in record time.

45 minutes.

See: New Server Migration Completed
    Last edited by raywjohnson; September 13, 2021, 04:03 AM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Rock On, Brother!!!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here