Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sneak Peek: NEW Article - The Science Of Slow Cookers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sneak Peek: NEW Article - The Science Of Slow Cookers

You first! Here we'll post news, gear reviews, videos, and recipes that are freshly published on the public site before getting advertised there! To see all our NEW Recipes & Gear Reviews, visit the Sneak Preview channel here: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ew-for-members

The Science Of Slow Cookers, by David Joachim
    LINK: https://amazingribs.com/technique-an...f-slow-cookers

Slow cookers are not truly "set it and forget it". If you just throw everything in the crock, turn it on and walk away, you’re likely to get soggy, bland results. A little effort yields much more delicious food. Check out this list of Do's and Don'ts to maximize your cookers strengths and minimize its weaknesses.

Interesting You just put up this post. I actually made a Pot Roast in mine this past Sunday. And YES I browned the meat, carrots and onions before placing them in the slow cooker. Guess I'm doing something right.

Comment

Interesting, Slow Cooker/ crockpot on a BBQ site? I like it. information, timing, the does and don'ts.
      Our crockpot died a slow lingering death, it was replaced with an Insta-pot/air fryer. It comes with a recipe book [nothing to color] but lacks the science.

This article hits the spot just like a PBR tall Boy.
      Last edited by bbqLuv; January 20, 2021, 01:45 PM.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
        Editing a comment
        BBQ needs sides, crocks make great sides

• shify
        shify commented
        Editing a comment
        My crockpot is almost dead from neglect. I think it was part of my wedding registry 13 yrs ago and has been used to cook exactly zero dishes since then but has been used slightly more as a quasi-chafing dish. I think I've used it 3-4 times to keep chili warm for the Super Bowl and more recently used it to keep smoked meatballs in a smoked tomato sauce warm for 2 hours or so.

Especially now that I have an Instant Pot, I can't think of anything that I'd cook in a slow cooker vs. pressure cooker

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
        Editing a comment
        shify the instantpot does OK at slowcooking, but it's not perfect. A crockpot is still great for dips or like you said long cook/or just warming chili. With my instantpot I do like smoking the meat or other ingredients and then chucking them in there, almost the best of both lazy worlds

Nice article. We usually use a crock pot once a week, usually the night I have a Scout meeting to get to.

Comment

Good article. We use ours about once a week.

Comment

Great article. Cant beat a slow cooker. Use ours often.

Comment

I use mine a few times a month, though before working from home it was a couple of times a week. I learned the browning trick from Cooks Kitchen or one of those shows a while back. If you got the time in the morning, definitely worth it. One thing I do that the article says not to do is put in frozen food. I will do this a lot, mainly with chicken breasts or leaner beef cuts. They're more semi-thawed than frozen, but I think it helps them from drying out. I would imagine tossing in a 10# pork butt ice cube would not turn out all that well.....

Comment

Good article. I use mine often. I have several soup and stew recipes that work great in it.

Comment

I find the slow cooking setting on the InstantPot works quite well, plus you can also do the searing in the pot as well.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here