Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sneak Peek: NEW Recipe - (Brunswick Stew); and NEW Review - (Burch Barrel Hanging Cooker)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sneak Peek: NEW Recipe - (Brunswick Stew); and NEW Review - (Burch Barrel Hanging Cooker)

You first! Here we'll post news, gear reviews, videos, and recipes that are freshly published on the public site before getting advertised there! To see all our NEW Recipes & Gear Reviews, visit the Sneak Preview channel here: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ew-for-members

Brunswick Stew, inspired by Kevin Gillespie, by Dave Joachim
    LINK: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...brunswick-stew

Top Chef Fan Favorite Kevin Gillespie says that barbecue is always served with Brunswick stew in his native Georgia. Squirrel is the traditional meat, but Kevin likes to use beef and pork or even scraps of barbecued pork. His recipe also includes a secret ingredient that amplifies the flavors of everything else.

Click image for larger version

Name:	kg_pork_brunswickstew.jpg
Views:	1412
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	974503

Burch Barrel Tripod Hanging Grill, Smoker & Fire Pit, by Spinaker
    LINK: https://amazingribs.com/ratings-revi...s-burch-barrel

Been on the hunt for a sturdy camping grill that doubles as a firepit? The Burch Barrel is a combination camping grill and firepit that hangs from a tripod and burns charcoal, wood, or both. This is not your Grandpa's cowboy cooker. It blends an open fire camp grill with a vertical lift Argentine style mechanism like a Santa Maria Grill. It is well-built, versatile, unique and a ton of fun to use.

Click image for larger version

Name:	burch-barrel-hero.jpg
Views:	13484
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	974502Click image for larger version

Name:	burch-barrel-fire-pit.jpg
Views:	1325
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	974504

Our lake house is in Brunswick county VA. Home of Brunswick Stew. Yes, squirrel is how it all started.

Comment

Squirrel Stew is where is how it all began. My dad makes Brunswick Stew with squirrel meat...

Comment

Squirrels aren't too thick on the ground over here in the colonies, I'm curious what sort of flavour it has?
        Can anyone give me an idea here or is the flavour something unique?

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Tastes kinda like koala.

• Stuey1515
          Stuey1515 commented
          Editing a comment
          So it's a bit like eucalyptus then haha

• Alabama Smoke
          Alabama Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          I have not killed and eaten any squirrel since I was much younger, perhaps 35 or 40 years ago. It is a fairly dark meat and tastes somewhat like pork, but not exactly. Perhaps of mix of pork and chicken (hey everything tastes like chicken) with a slightly (but not too strong) wild taste, probably because around here they primarily eat acorns from all the oak trees.

Love brunswick stew!

Comment

That stew looks good..

Comment

Sounds delicious. I knew David Joachim was on Meathead's staff but didn't know about his serious recipe/cookbook creds. I also enjoyed watching Kevin Gillespie on Top Chef. He's a hella chef. Good combo, as this recipe shows.

Kathryn
            Last edited by fzxdoc; January 16, 2021, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Every time I have had Brunswick Stew, it has also had lima beans and sometimes potatoes. I love the stuff, I need to make some.

Comment

That Burch Barrell is nice too.

Comment

Anyone else having a hard time viewing part 2 of the Burch Barrel review. The stew looks amazing too!

Comment

Squirrels are vegan and eat nuts etc. They have a light grassy taste and then what’s prevalent in their environment. So maybe acorns or pecans like mine. Yum. At least that has been my experience.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here