Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sneak Peek: NEW Article - The Art Of Steak Cookoff Competitions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sneak Peek: NEW Article - The Art Of Steak Cookoff Competitions

You first! Here we'll post news, gear reviews, videos, and recipes that are freshly published on the public site before getting advertised there! To see all our NEW Recipes & Gear Reviews, visit the Sneak Preview channel here: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ew-for-members

An Introduction To The Art Of Steak Cookoff Competitions, by Clint Cantwell
    https://amazingribs.com/bbq-and-gril...f-competitions

If you’re like me, you likely fancy yourself quite the steak griller. But the true test of one’s talent is entering one of the countless steak cooking contests held each year. If you've ever considered competing in a steak cookoff, here's a first person account of what you can expect to encounter from start to finish.

Click image for larger version  Name:	steak-cookoff-turn-in.jpg Views:	413 Size:	71.1 KB ID:	933994

For years I had trouble getting steaks right. Now that I can nail them, I’m obsessed with them.

If he was shooting for 135*, he probably should have reverse seared them to 125* or so.

Comment

Are not the grill mark in reality Black burned marks? They do look good.
      very tasty looking steak. in competition are grill marks taken into account during the scoring?

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Absolutely! Even though a dark brown steak tastes better, they DEMAND grill marks.

I briefly looked into it a few years ago. I think they cook their steaks to medium and I prefer a technically raw (107-110 final temp) in the center. So the thought of eating hundreds of medium steaks to get my technique down, was not appealing to me. That being said, I absolutely LOVE that they do it and it seems like a fun competition to do!

As a side note, the Texas Steak Cookoff in Hico, TX is an awesome time. Love going whenever I am in the area.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        The medium requirement has been mentioned by many as puzzling. I'm with you, except I prefer medium rare. I can eat rare to medium well though, I won't refuse most steaks.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here