Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sneak Peek: NEW Review - Oklahoma Joe's Rider DLX Pellet Grill Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sneak Peek: NEW Review - Oklahoma Joe's Rider DLX Pellet Grill Review

You first! Here we'll post news, gear reviews, videos, and recipes that are freshly published on the public site before getting advertised there! To see all our NEW Recipes & Gear Reviews, visit the Sneak Preview channel here: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ew-for-members

Oklahoma Joe's Rider DLX Pellet Grill Review, by Max Good
    Oklahoma Joe's Rider DLX Pellet Grill has some very unique and clever features: a lever that shifts from smoke to sear and the best pellet hopper clean out system we've seen. During our testing and review we found a lot to like about OKJ's Rider DLX, but some serious flaws prevent us from recommending it at this time.

Oklahoma Joe's Rider DLX Pellet Grill has some very unique and clever features: a lever that shifts from smoke to sear and the best pellet hopper clean out system we've seen. During our testing and review we found a lot to like about OKJ's Rider DLX, but some serious flaws prevent us from recommending it at this time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	okj-rider-dlx-hero.jpg
Views:	856
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	931069Click image for larger version

Name:	okj-rider-dlx-lid-up.jpg
Views:	907
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	931070

Dang. Maybe the Oklahoma Bronco team can share a few tips about putting together a few decent production runs...

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I think, like a couple other big names who've recently put out some cookers that had glaring flaws, (compared to others of their own products that were Gold or Platinum) this is hopefully a learning experience for their team and the next renditions will address the issues.

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      I hope they reach out when they do a new run. We saw that PK thread a few weeks back and it took them a few months to fix the mound, so maybe a new package will show up at Max’s door early next year.

that pellet dump is amazing! I might have skimmed past it, but is the bucket a standard size or would one want to stock up on a few spares in case the bucket got discontinued? I like that all these manufacturers keep moving the pellet world forward. Even on these models where the unit as a whole isn't a huge hit, I bet you see similar or inspired features on other brands down the road. I'm always excited by new pellet grills, because the more there are out there, the cheaper and easier to find my fuel source gets

Comment

On another note I am glad you reviewed this one because all of the top Google hits for reviews previously were...iffy.

Comment

While it's unfortunate that they didn't do the development work sufficiently to produce a reliable product I have to give OJ's credit for not editing the feedbacks they get even when they are brutally uncomplimentary. I've posted three feedbacks on their site, one for each of the products I own. I gave the regular Bronco 5 stars, which I don't often do for any product, and as low as 3 for the Judge without the mods I've discussed here before and included in my review on their site. To my happy surprise they published the mildly critical remarks as quickly as the more complimentary ones. I won't be a customer for this pellet rig as I already have a Recteq, but will say that Recteq has a different philosophy on feedbacks. They only allow 5 and sometimes 4 star reviews to stay posted, editing out the lesser ones. Their product quality and customer service are, fortunately, better than what appears happening on the Rider, and the Weber Smoke Fire for that matter, but still...............hiding the unhappy reports is questionable.

Comment

I believe OKJ has already addressed their production and QC issues for this model. However, I can't recommend it at this time because, obviously, some older units are still being sold. Rider DLX has great potential at a great price. We will revisit this next year.

Comment

OMG. That looks like a nightmare cleaning that thing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YZQyVLad0Dc

https://youtu.be/g3UVP2iqN90
            Last edited by STEbbq; December 12, 2020, 09:14 PM.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
              ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
              Editing a comment
              the video is to take out the auger if theres a jam, in mine that really can only happen if you leave pellets in and they get damp forming a wooded version of concrete This actually looks fairly straight forward for an auger removal. Some models have a lot less room to work with. This is something that should rarely if ever happen. If you're talking about cleaning that fire pot, yeah, that looks like some extra steps for routine maintenance compared to other brands.

• STEbbq
              STEbbq commented
              Editing a comment
              It does seem like the OKJ auger is creating a lot of problems and jams given a simple google search. I am not sure if it is underpowered or a pellet issue as the OKJ pellets seem much smaller than other brands like the pit boss at that seem to be involved in the jams. Still, halving to remove all of that stuff and unscrew it to simply get at the firepot...seems painful.

Just visited the website, there must be a reason for 3.3 stars out of 5.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here