Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sneak Peek: NEW Recipe - The Perfect Decadent Custardy French Omelet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sneak Peek: NEW Recipe - The Perfect Decadent Custardy French Omelet

You first! Here we'll post news, gear reviews, videos, and recipes that are freshly published on the public site before getting advertised there! To see all our NEW Recipes & Gear Reviews, visit the Sneak Preview channel here: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ew-for-members

The Perfect Decadent Custardy French Omelet (better omelets through chemistry), by Meathead Goldwyn
    https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...-french-omelet

Video included at the link above. See the review of the GreenPan Valencia Pro Nonstick pan used in this recipe!

Click image for larger version  Name:	omelet-700.jpg Views:	1115 Size:	69.8 KB ID:	922979

Video:

With the exception of the corn starch that’s almost exactly how I make mine.
    Guess what I’m going try the first chance I get?

Oh yeah, and I always flip my eggs.
    Years ago I had friends staying over and did that...their kids were so excited that they went and woke up their parents. LOL One of my boys said, "He does that all the time." Clearly not impressed.

After I did it a couple more times, and they were still enthralled...I said, "Watch this." I then flipped an over easy egg without breaking the yoke. My son, while more impressed than before the chimes in with, "Now you’re just showing off," laughing and then adding, "How the heck can you do that?" LOL

I haven’t turned an omelette with a spatula in years...and only rarely do so with any eggs.

Comment

• Butchman
      Butchman commented
      Editing a comment
      I was a division manager for Waffle House for many years, I can crack eggs and flip eggs with both hands simultaneously without breaking the yolks. I very likely cooked more eggs in one month than most cook in a lifetime. BTW Gordon Ramsey says never cook eggs with salt because it breaks them down, add the salt after the eggs are plated.

I flip mine, too. Except yesterday I replaced my pan with one that has steeper sides, and now I have to relearn the flip and angles and whatnot.

I make 3 omelets a week. I’m going to give this a whirl in about 30 minutes. I have fresh thyme, but no heavy cream, just the half and half. I usually make a country omelet, sometimes a French omelet. Country omelets are easier, but French omelets are pretty amazing.

Comment

It’s a good omelet. It didn’t come together perfectly for me the first time; like we were saying in a different topic, mi cocina no es tu cocina. Mine was a tiny bit gritty; less corn starch? Heavy cream instead of the half and half I had on hand? Cook a little longer? And mine didn’t release from my brand new nonstick pan, there was some sort of suction going on, so I ran it under the broiler instead. That could have been the source of the grittiness, could have cooked longer on top. I used bacon grease. But, the creaminess is all there, as promised. The brown in the finished omelet is bacon fond. There is no browning of the egg at all.

Click image for larger version  Name:	AE62585D-9BE2-481F-BCE7-DCBC4061B90C.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.65 MB ID:	923153Click image for larger version  Name:	8466D431-7744-45B0-92D6-A58097F44246.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.73 MB ID:	923155Click image for larger version  Name:	3A846CC6-CEE2-4795-8FDD-8ED9914CC6DE.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.73 MB ID:	923154
      Last edited by Mosca; October 13, 2020, 07:42 AM.

Comment

• crazytown3
        crazytown3 commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks really good to me. Channeling my inner Pépin, the edges look a little ragged, most likely from the "suction"?

EDIT: I'm feeling an omelet coming on for dinner tonight.......
        Last edited by crazytown3; October 13, 2020, 03:57 PM.

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I had to peel it out.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I bet that bacon grease and fond added a very welcomed flavor.

I just tried this with the corn starch, and it really is amazing the way it lightens and "fluffs" the structure (but the chemistry makes sense). The most critical thing is of course the pan: a good non-stick is essential (although I'm working on seasoning a carbon steel pan that I have high hopes for soon)... that touch of cornstarch makes a great omelette, Meathead-thx!

Comment

i can see cheese throwing off the ratio of ingredients, but is there any reason why adding some peppers and onions into the mix should screw it up?

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Not at all.

Finally attempted this recipe this morning, with the exact same pan to boot (needed some good non-sticks and Mh's GreenPan review was perfect timing).

WOW!

I have never had eggs with such a luxurious texture. And so easy. Sans the skillet-flip, I didn't want my wife's new stove to need a scrubbin' so I did the plate-flip method. It was so good I made a second. I needed 3 pinches of salt personally. Thankfully my wife and kids had a few bites so I didn't have to eat 6 eggs. I added grated cheese to the 2nd one after the flip before the plating & fold over.

grantgallagher After the flip I'd suggest add your pre-satueed ingredients and cheese right before plating. No reason you couldn't. The eggs are quite thick though so go lightly on the filling if using an 8".

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          So you prefer omelettes in the 12" instead of the 8" Huskee ?

New twist filling recipe in the works, or did I miss it?

Kathryn

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          fzxdoc Yes, when I wnated to fill the omelet I chose the 12" to make the egg thinner and it worked well. The filling was, of all things, a very thick homemade chicken soup. More stew-like. Cook the noodles in the soup pot with the other ingredients and it gets thicker. I filled the omelet with this and it was to die for. Strange I know, but talk about comfort food. Was waiting for my wife to get her recipe together to share.

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow, what an unlikely filling, Huskee . A new twist indeed!

Kathryn

Huskee did another one today. Filled with sauté onion, peperoncini, spinach, feta, and a little cream cheese. Between this and shakshuka i think it has ruined all other forms of eggs for me. Crappy picture below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DC26194D-3F2F-4FCB-BA39-9A1F8B25568E.jpeg
Views:	290
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	928119

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks delish. Makin' me hungry, almost lunch time here and I haven't even had breakfast! I think I'm going to make scrambled eggs with this recipe.

• grantgallagher
          grantgallagher commented
          Editing a comment
          Huskee ooooh. Lemme know how that turns out!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here