Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sneak Peek: UPDATED Review - Masterbuilt Gravity Series 560 Grill + Smoker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sneak Peek: UPDATED Review - Masterbuilt Gravity Series 560 Grill + Smoker!

You first! Here we'll post news, gear reviews, videos, and recipes that are freshly published on the public site before getting advertised there! To see all our NEW Recipes & Gear Reviews, visit the Sneak Preview channel here: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ew-for-members

*UPDATED JULY 20, 2020

The long-awaited [updated] review of the new Masterbuilt Gravity Series 560 Grill + Smoker, by yours truly, is finally here.

Masterbuilt Gravity Series 560 Grill + Smoker, by Aaron "Huskee" Lyons
    https://amazingribs.com/ratings-revi...ity-series-560

Click image for larger version  Name:	Hero 700x700.png Views:	15367 Size:	220.9 KB ID:	844697Click image for larger version  Name:	Masterbuilt cutaway.png Views:	1286 Size:	234.5 KB ID:	844698

Fantastic review Huskee. I have been researching this and the larger 1050. They appear to be the real deal. Thank you for your great work.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank YOU David for the nice words. If the 1050 works the same it will be a great grill with all that extra space.

Excellent review Husky been looking at this for our cabin. The reviews have all been pretty good, like yours. I appreciate the time you took in doing this for us.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you MS

Great review. I have been wanting a vertical smoker for quite a while. Coveted the Stumps and others but to rich for my blood. This may be the solution. This alone may have justified my membership fee. All the other many benefits would become a bonus! Thx again.

Comment

Awesome review! Well worth the wait. I was going to get the Weber SmokeFire just for the laziness part of me but too many negative things came about. Glad I waited. I'm looking forward to the 1050 I ordered now. In my opinion, nothing beats the taste you get from charcoal and wood (unless you have the money for a nice stick burner). I'll never forget the wood flavor I experienced in Texas at Franklin and Terry Blacks! It was like ahh I get it now lol! Thanks for your guidance! Also would like to mention what a great time the Zoom meeting was! Thanks for answering my questions. Can't wait to do it again! Thanks for the review Huskee! Murp!

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd love to get my hands on the 1050 as well. I suspect you will thoroughly enjoy it and I am a bit jealous! And I totally agree, charcoal+wood (or all wood in a properly maintained fire) is just how real BBQ tastes.

The Zoom meeting was fun, I agree. I look forward to the next one, if I'm invited.

• Razor
        Razor commented
        Editing a comment
        I watched a YouTube video a little while back comparing the 1050 and 560 and the reviewer implied the 1050 is a slightly better product, addressing some of the minor issues learned later in the 560 development process. I believe the power cord is a little more heavy duty, and the latch on the hopper is a little more robust and easier to operate.

Sounds like you have an awesome cooker coming your way!

If I have to replace my pellet pooper anytime soon, I would probably replace it with the MGS 1050.

If I want to replace my spot in the bed with a permanent banishment to the couch in the basement, I would order one of these today.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Just order two cookers, then when you get sent to the basement tell her "OK dear, I will return one." and you keep the 1050. (I cannot promise this will work, but it's all I've got and I think worth a shot)

Thanks for the detailed review. Hoping for a real good Father's Day gift. I will start dropping hints by having the wife read your review! I hope she likes the review as much as I did!

Comment

Huskee, Any reservations or limitations in the unit not having a direct over-the-flames capability?

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          I didn't miss it. Similar to a pellet cooker which has all convection heat, you avoid flareups (for the most part anyway, see the review at the Grease Fires subheading) by not having direct over-flame cooking. Plus you can still sear as described in the review, for reverse sear just remove your steaks or whatever, crank it up, then toss them on the ~700deg grates; for front sear, crank it up first then toss the meat on. To Be Continued:

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Continued: If you absolutely must sear over live fire, then I'd offer the same suggestion that we offer with pellet cookers or gassers w/o sear burners- get yourself a Weber Smokey Joe or hibachi and start some coals in it for searing on the cheap, or even the afterburner method if you have a charcoal chimney (and are careful!).

• jnc2015
          jnc2015 commented
          Editing a comment
          Huskee, I have a 560 and generally love it. However, I do wonder how much radiant heat is coming from the box underneath the grates. And, what gets in that box to heat it, exactly? Little embers from the coals as they burn at the bottom of the hopper float in there or just hot air from the fan? Meat does get some pretty good action from some flaming from juices landing on the box but I agree, not nearly as good as juices landing on charcoal underneath, causes those flames. Thanks!

Looks like a great grill for the price. Looks like I have something else for the wishlist

Comment

Huskee , great write-up!

Comment

Nice thorough review. Now I want too. I think this will be on my list instead of a pellet cooker. Thanks Huskee!

Comment

Impressive. Cures me of wanting the smoke fire.

Comment

Great review. Now I want one...

Comment

Huskee great review!

So the real question is this. Is this cooker good enough to where it is staying and adding to or replacing one of your other 10 cookers?

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you! Put it this way, the only thing that would kick this out of its place right now is the 1050. It truly is a joy to cook on.

Yea really good review, you bucking for Max's job??

For the price I would defiantly consider one, especially when matched against a similar pellet product. This is hands down a better deal considering the fuel and probable better smoke quality. I was concerned abort a few comments made about the robustness of the build. I guess for the money you can't expect a lifetime's worth of cooks out of the thing. Would be interested in seeing how well they perform over time. I certainly think this takes the Stump's gravity fed idea and combines it with the best pellet cooker ideas, I do like where they are going with this !!

At the end of the day; however, my 26" kettle with Pit Viper fan controlled by my Fireboard can probably do as well, if not better, than what it appears they can do with this unit. I'll stand pat with what I have, but again thanks for introducing this product. It's exciting to see the innovation in the industry and how things are moving more and more toward the marriage of live fire cooking and the convenience of an indoor oven.
                  Last edited by Troutman; May 12, 2020, 10:36 AM.

Comment

• Craigar
                    Craigar commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Troutman I was wondering about the build quality as well. I guess I will wait until the end of the "season" to check out the floor model at a big box store to see how it held up over the summer with everyone and his brother playing around with it. If it can last thru the summer, it should hold up for 5-7 years worth of my abuse.

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Meathead couldn't afford me AND Max doing this full time! Longevity remains to be seen of course. MB is not known for being robust heavy duty, but neither is the price. It's not a Hasty-Bake, but it's also not $1800. I don't feel this is flimsy, I find Weber kettles to be far flimsier than this. I've never seen a cooker in this price point bring this much to the game. I feel they've brought convenience plus excellent quality BBQ to the average working man who cannot afford an heirloom cooker

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hey I agree, for the price point I'd buy this over any $500 pellet cooker any day. Hell I might even buy it over a $1000 pellet cooker. Anything that burns charcoal and is automated is a big plus for me, I know the smoke profiles that can be produced. Not so in a pellet.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here