Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sneak Peek: UPDATED Review - Masterbuilt Gravity Series 560 Grill + Smoker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent review, Huskee! Looks like a really fun cooker.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks pal!

good review! interesting idea, who makes the 1050 that keeps being mentioned?

Comment

Great review Huskee. I actually found it on the free site earlier today, as Masterbuilt has been hitting my social media fairly heavy with the Gravity Guy. I dig it. Very curious.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I hope they tout our review, it's well deserved.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      I touted it to them, so maybe...

Thanks Huskee! Great review, very enjoyable read. It sure seems to be a fun cooker. I really like the whole concept, and at a very affordable price.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok, now I have. Great fun, love that cooker! Will do a few more cooks on it. Spent all day yesterday with it, the hours just flew by.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      It's almost too fun and easy for Grade A flavor, isn't it?

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Exactly! Huskee

I started researching pellet poopers because of the SmokeFire. During the process I discovered the Grilla, Camp Chef, and new Cuisinart Woodcreek. Then the MB GF560 appeared! Asked AmazingRibs if they were going to review both the MB and the Cuisinart, they said they already had both and were in the process of testing the MB. Being so impatient, I ruled out the Weber, Camp Chef, and Grilla, hoping Huskee would validate my decision to purchase the 1050!!
    I thought I wanted a pellet cooker because of convenience, and the improved smoke flavor many were able to achieve, but now I can have charcoal and wood smoke with the convenience of a pellet cooker! Charcoal and wood are definitely cheaper than pellets, also. My 1050 should arrive soon and I intend to cook on it much more often than I do on all my other smokers/grills.

Sure, gravity feed cookers have been around since Stumps started building theirs in 2007, but MB has changed the game with the controller and I believe we are seeing the birth of another new niche in barbecuing.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Congrats! I totally agree. I bet there's a few makers who for months now have been holding weekly staff meetings and having their design teams draw up some plans. MB might be the first but they won't be the last to employ this great concept. I wouldn't be surprised if we see more in the near future. No I'm not hinting at some insider knowledge, just a hunch.

GAH!!! Just when I had convinced myself that I had beaten MCS and have everything I need.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      A wise man once said "resistance is futile".

• jhapka
      jhapka commented
      Editing a comment
      Steve R. I feel your pain. I just finally got a fireboard and fan. It was the last thing on my list. Now I see this. It would be a totally redundant cooker but it’s so cool.

This review was posted literally 24 hours after I had bought one from Masterbuilt.
    Makes me feel good about my purchase
    Thanks!

Comment

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      So, the opposite of buyer's remorse. Nice! 😀

• iplayoutside
      iplayoutside commented
      Editing a comment
      @Huskee,
      As someone who is still getting their feet (but not wood!) Wet, would you recommend trying the ribs first for the 560?

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      At 5-7hrs, ribs are about half the cook time as a pork butt or a brisket, so yeah that's a great way to ease into a low & slow cook. Pork butt is the most forgiving and hardest to mess up, but ribs are the quickest.

Excellent review I really liked this grill, I already have a great one for family barbecues but it doesn't hurt to have another one haha

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      You got that right!

Been cooking a long time, many different smokers. They all have great things about them. I have to say, the Masterbuilt 560 is a work horse, allows for great brisket, great sear and awesome smoke flavor. Would buy over a pellet any day of the week.

Comment

Brisket on Masterbuilt 560.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Smoking77
        Smoking77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow

• DavidNorcross
        DavidNorcross commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow, nice pics! I agree. The look and taste of everything that's come off of it is all charcoal+wood, which to me = real BBQ flavor. It might have a fan and a digital control but the fuel is the real deal.

Great write up. Love the details you get into!
      This just might be my next grill.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you sir!

Huskee,

Thank you for an excellent review! Really appreciated! I'm glad your experiences with the smoker match up with mine, as this is just fun to use. I've been anxiously checking the site for when it would be live.

I know for review purposes, you probably can't make any changes to stock build. However, now the review it out, I'd recommend foiling the top of the hopper to avoid the creosote build-up you mentioned, and you can go wireless with a battery pack!

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Great tips! It doesn't draw much juice, nothing like a pellet cooker would, just a small fan.

Great review! I read that it’s not very water resistant. How does cooking with it fare in the rain? I trust your judgements but unfortunately I do not have any kind of outdoor shelter. I suppose I could get a pop up tent but the wind around my house has been known to take them away and or shred them.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        No outdoor shelter here either, it's held up to very heavy use over the last 2-3 months in literally all weather from monsoon rain to snow, sleet, hail and hot sun. I cover it when cooled down, that's it.

Your review stirred my MCS, but the uncertainty of a 225 12-14 hour long cook without reloading gives me pause.

Comment

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        Honest question, though: How often do you do a cook that's 12+ hours where a) you never look at it and b) you're not around TO look at it?

That caught my eye too, but then I thought about it... if I plop a hunk of meat on late night so it's done at lunch, that means at, say, 11pm. But I'm up at 7-8AM, well under 12 hours. IF I start a cook at 7am, I'm usually around during the day.

What I want to know is the duration of the charcoal use at 250 and 275 if it's, say, 60F out overnight.

• LA Pork Butt
        LA Pork Butt commented
        Editing a comment
        rickgregory I cook on a BGE with a controller never checking on it through the night when cooking Boston Butts or Briskets which I do 8 to 10 times a year. I used to get excellent results from a cheap bullet water smoker, but I had to get up at 4 am to add fuel. I plan to serve for noon cooking at 225 and finishing the 12-14 hour cook by 8 or 10, so I put the meat on at about 8pm. It stirred my MCS. I am with Mosca I really don’t need another cooker. I like it as a pellet cooker alternative.

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        I can run the pit barrel with my fan controller for 24 hours untouched, all weather at 225. I too would like to have a plot of temps over time attempts at 225F, 325 etc.

How does this thing fare operating _during_ rain? Often rain is a factor on a long cook.

Comment

• DavidNorcross
        DavidNorcross commented
        Editing a comment
        Everything that I read is not favorable to water but that is mainly for the electronics

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I've been using it for a couple months in rain, snow, sleet, and hail (literally all 4) and have had zero trouble. The control panel and electronics were built with some water resistance in mind.

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee
        Thanks for the update.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here