Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEW REVIEW: Max's Review Of The Weber SmokeFireâ„¢ Is Complete!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A terrific review with lots of details, explanations and critiques. Covers all of the issues that have been raised. Agree with the rating. I'd describe the product as an excellent design concept with just a fair execution. Some of Weber's problems could have been solved by better instructions, such as a big warning sticker to upload new software before using, including a sample bag of their pellets with a warning about using other kinds, and perhaps an alignment fixture to insure the chute is properly located. SW is often a big issue for a hardware company; I had read that it was outsourced to the company that makes the June Oven.

Comment

• Max Good
      Max Good commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Good suggestions and yes, Weber is working with June Technologies to develop their software as indicated in our review.
      Last edited by Max Good; March 21, 2020, 09:56 AM.

Great and honest review. Always enjoy reading. This should really help folks make an educated decision.

Comment

• Max Good
      Max Good commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! That is what we always strive to do.

Thanks Max!

Comment

• Max Good
      Max Good commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!

Seems like a well reasoned review and conclusion. Nice try but no cigar. I'll stick with my yoder and hot charcoal/cast iron/searzall and broiler depending on what I need to sear

Comment

• Max Good
      Max Good commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

One of your finer reviews Max Good . Thank you and keep up the great work!

Comment

• Max Good
      Max Good commented
      Editing a comment
      Much appreciated!

Max Good , your review is a perfect example to all of us of grace under pressure. You did not rush to judgement; instead, you chose to thoroughly conduct your tests while trying to remain impervious to the clamor for results. I really admire that approach. Kudos to you. And thank you for such a thorough, impartial review.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; March 20, 2020, 07:01 PM.

Comment

• Max Good
      Max Good commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you so much!

Well Done! was hoping for medium rare to rare but guess I'll have to wait for version 2.0. Weber has been really good to me. I had some issues with my iGrill2 thermometer, which they did eventually replace. Also had an issue with my WSM grates, and they replaced them too. There a solid company for sure. I'm sure they'll eventually get this right. At that time I will probably get one.

My main question is, how good is the smoke flavor? I've had other pellet smoked meats, and well, the smoke flavor isn't there. Especially compared to my WSM.

Thanks for the through review! Looks like I might have plenty of time to get some more smoking in unfortunately.

P.S. Anyone like the Masterbuilt gravity series 560 charcoal grill/smoker? Hows the smoke?

Comment

• Max Good
      Max Good commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! The smoke quality and mahogany finish are very good, but different from your WSM. At AmazingRibs.com and of course here in The Pitmaster Club, we're getting ready to hunker down with you all. We're progressing into our tests of the new Masterbuilt gravity feed and, so far, we're very impressed. Stay tuned on both!

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I don’t think there is a pellet cooker on the plant that can impart smoke like a WSM or any barrel style smoker.

• Big Bs BBQ
      Big Bs BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman, there's just something about that charcoal flavor I miss every time I try non charcoal smoked meat. But I have had excellent wood only. I may just have to settle on the 22 WSM. Need more space then the 18.

Wow that was freakin’ epic Max. Talk about thorough. That made War & Peace look like Cliff Notes. That said I believe your conclusions have been echoed. Weber needs to scuttle that ship and rethink their cooker.

Silver award, I’d consider that a mild smack down, but a fair assessment.

Comment

• Max Good
      Max Good commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Troutmeister!

Seems like they should just rip off the hopper assembly altogether and replace it with a different design.

Sounds like this thing acts and requires care more like a gas grill than a pellet smoker. I guess that makes sense given the basis of the design. They definitely have tried to hit a niche that some folks will really like.

Comment

• Max Good
      Max Good commented
      Editing a comment
      The design has similarities to a gas grill.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Except I don't have to clean out the firebox on my gas grill every cook, to make sure it drains the grease into the grease catch pan...

Finally had a chance to read the review...
    FWIW, I don’t own a pellet cooker, and wasn’t really interested in getting one. I’ve used my father’s and decided it’s kinda "Meh." It cooks just fine, it’s just sorta missing something. A smoke tube helped, but still not quite there IMO.

When this came out though, I was intrigued. I liked the grill/searing aspect of it. And thought, "Hmmm, never say never...there could be a place for a pellet cooker on my patio yet."

And then the "reviews" & reports/videos started pouring in...some I definitely trust more than others. There seemed to be nothing middle of the road with this one. It seemed to be love or hate. But I still wanted to see what Max Good had to say. Great review that explored both its benefits & shortcomings.
    I’m no closer to wanting a pellet cooker but I’m glad I read the review. It does seem like they’re on to something...and hopefully they’ll get the kinks worked out. In the meantime I think I’ll be just fine. ;-)

Comment

Max, wow, super review. You take your time and do it right.

I have a couple of questions for you guys that maybe you can answer directly or direct me to another part of the forum. I have had several smokers over the years, the last being a gasser for about 8 years. I'm ready to part ways with it and was considering a vertical/upright pellet smoker. I like the overall ease of the PS and like the smaller footprint of the upright. But would I get the same or better smoke flavor from a PS? I've read conflicting reports. And what's your thought on these uprights; Max, have you reviewed any? Any info would be well appreciated. Love all of the honest and straightforward responses you all give. Thanks!

Comment

• surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve not used an upright pellet smoker, only a "grill" type. I’ve found it to have a much lower smoke profile than I prefer. Some love it...I’m not a huge fan. Whether the upright has more I can’t say. Another option (or two) to consider would be a PBC or WSM. No experience with the PBC, but they’re well loved around here. Once "dialed in" the WSM can be close to set & forget. And the PBC seems even more so, owing to it’s less moving parts. (Vents) A fan controller on the WSM is another option.

Surfdog, Appreciate your feedback. The lack of smoke is what I am afraid of. Thanks!

Comment

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        Tjl52 You might consider a charcoal/wood upright. Although I have no hands on experience, their smoke profile is good and with a fan controller they are mostly set and forget. I have a LSG on order.

That review was worth waiting for. Having seen the conversation unfold about the smokefire and then followed by this review increases my confidence in all the reviews here and the people who do them. Thanks Max!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here