Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEW REVIEW: Max's Review Of The Weber SmokeFireâ„¢ Is Complete!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEW REVIEW: Max's Review Of The Weber SmokeFireâ„¢ Is Complete!

After more than a month of intensive testing and research, Max Good, the world’s only full time grill and smoker tester, has published his review and rating for the new Weber SmokeFire!

Full review and rating here: https://amazingribs.com/ratings-revi...e-pellet-grill

Wow. Unsurprisingly, a really thorough and balanced review. For me, I remain intrigued, but I'll be considering other pellet grills until they address some of the shortcomings.

Comment

• KarchyBBQ
      KarchyBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Driverdan - looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the woodwind. My short list is the woodwind, grilla silverbac alpha, blaz’n grid iron.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      KarchyBBQ Jerod loves his Blaz'n. They're great cookers.

• Driverdan
      Driverdan commented
      Editing a comment
      Alas, I’ve re-added (Is that even a word?!?) the OG Grilla Alpha to the final list of contenders!
      Also discovered the Blaz’n Grills but they are pretty pricey.

Crazy Person A: "Shill!"
    Crazy Person B: "Hater"!

Narrator: "sigh".

Nice job Max.

Comment

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      Put the spoon down and set away from the pot! 😁

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL, you summed it up well

• Max Good
      Max Good commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

Thanks for the thorough review!

Comment

• Max Good
      Max Good commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!

A first class, top notch review (as always). One is in my future. Maybe a 2nd or 3rd generation by the time I get "the approval".

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Personally, and off the record, I'm leaning toward a Gen II being the bomb.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I wouldn't touch this thing for at least a year.

• Max Good
      Max Good commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

Well done Max!

Comment

• Max Good
      Max Good commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!

Great review Max! If I owned a pellet grill again, the brand specific pellets are a drawback for me. I enjoyed using other brands when I owned a Traeger. But to each their own I suppose.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I've used larger pellets (Cookin' Pellets) and regular/small pellets (Grilla/Lumberjack) in my Grilla, both work flawlessly...FWIW. Shame not all are universal with each maker.

• Max Good
      Max Good commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. They claim any good quality pellets should work, but recommend their own brand for best performance.

Grilla. Unless I wait long enough for them to work out the bugs. Then it's still probably a Grilla. Great review.
    Last edited by klflowers; March 19, 2020, 03:57 PM.

Comment

• Max Good
      Max Good commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

If I was thinking about swapping out my pellet muncher (not right now) I don't think I could justify dealing with the rev 1 unit. The software problems sound a bit like the ones I initially experienced with my GMG, which were extremely frustrating. They eventually got those resolved and I'm happy. I'm confident Weber can get there too, but I don't want to live through it with them. I don't understand why manufacturers want their customers to be their bug testers, but Weber isn't alone in that regard.

One question I have for the group at large is are there any smokers out there with built in lights? If not, why not? Damn things are electric, you'd think it would be easy.

Comment

• JoeSousa
      JoeSousa commented
      Editing a comment
      I seem to remember recently seeing a smoker that had a built in light but for the life of me I can't recall the brand.

• Rod
      Rod commented
      Editing a comment
      JCGrill My Rec Tec RT680 had a built in light. Not sure if the current model does or not. However, it wasn't very powerful so I never really used it.

• TerryMiller
      TerryMiller commented
      Editing a comment
      The rectec bull does indeed have a light.

Well written review!

Comment

• Max Good
      Max Good commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

Good review.

I had higher hopes for this that they would be able to fix the hopper feed.

Comment

• Max Good
      Max Good commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

Nice review. I do have one minor concern though with one of the photos:

Click image for larger version  Name:	BF41BD79-D5DA-43E5-8CCE-2ED28C3EA3D4.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	50.0 KB ID:	817464

See how the end on the drain chute door is above hopper ramp? I’m pretty sure it’s not supposed to be that way. I believe there’s a slot underneath that the tab slides into. Running it like this would greatly increase the risk of feeding issues giving pellets something to hang up on.

Comment

• Max Good
      Max Good commented
      Editing a comment
      You are correct! However, this pic was taken at Weber headquarters when we were invited for a sneak preview. This unit was on display and I used it for our initial photos and video. I just went through the many photos I took during my testing procedure on my deck, and my Drain Chute Door slides under rather than over the door opening as you impressively spotted. Unfortunately, this was not the focus of any of my test pix, so I don't have a great shot of the proper assembly yet.
      Last edited by Max Good; March 20, 2020, 01:52 PM.

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      That makes sense on the demo unit with who knows how many people having probably played with it.

As usual & as we can & should expect, a job well done Max. That dust up a few months ago was not warranted & took a bit of wind out of our sails. Recovery is a long time. Hair on fire, impatient ones are also gone for the most part. I for one did not appreciate what happened & it was uncalled for. As was evident, it took some time to do the job right. And MAX delivered. Sit back, relax & have one on us Max. Again, job well done!
    Last edited by FireMan; March 20, 2020, 04:13 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Couldn't agree more.

• Max Good
      Max Good commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you very much!

Quite a review! Thanks Max for weathering the storm and for answering questions on every level.

Comment

• Max Good
      Max Good commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! It was a little hairy at times.

Great review, Max!

Comment

• Max Good
      Max Good commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here