Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sneak Peek: NEW RECIPE - Texas Hot Guts; Bigger, Better Smoked Sausage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sneak Peek: NEW RECIPE - Texas Hot Guts; Bigger, Better Smoked Sausage

You first! Here we'll post news, gear reviews, videos, and recipes that are freshly published on the public site before getting advertised there! To see all our NEW Recipes & Gear Reviews, visit the Sneak Preview channel here: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ew-for-members

Texas Hot Guts; Bigger, Better Smoked Sausage, by Meathead
    In Texas, smoked sausage is as central to barbecue as brisket. There is no standard recipe, but natural casings always hold the ground meat mixture. My favorite blend leans more on pork than beef and includes lots of black pepper. If you like smoked sausage, you'll love this Texas Hot Guts recipe.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hot-guts-open.jpg
Views:	12761
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	801754

Thanks Huskee! Back from your trip? How was it?

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Great! A couple reviews of BBQ places coming soon...

Thanks I will have to give this recipe a try!!

Comment

That does sound good.

Comment

Now you’re talking. Honey, guess what we are making this weekend.🙂

Comment

This looks really good, I'll have to make it and compare it to my recipe soon, maybe this weekend. I have some venison/pork blend that should be good to use.

Comment

Thanks for the recie. Been searching around for a good Elgin sausage recipe.

Comment

I asked Tim Mikeska for his recipe, and he replied "I will tell you a few things but cannot give you the recipe. Someone did that once and he went missing soon after.
              The godfather of sausage. I did HouseHomey's andouille; this is next.

Comment

• 58limited
                58limited commented
                Editing a comment
                the andouille is good.

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                58limited, yes it is. Better than any andouille I have had outside Louisiana.

Good old "Hot Guts", a Texas tradition. Funny this should be posted, I just ordered a case of jalapeno cheese which is due to be delivered today. Will be firing some up this weekend. I'm hooked on the damn things.

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                klflowers Black's out of Lockhart, my favorite. All the Texas large bbq establishments will ship sausages just about anywhere. Meathead's article in the recipe section had several that are really good as well. Little pricey but saves me having to drive 100 miles to go get some

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks. We love us some sausages. I got some OT coming up; I'll give them a try.

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                Finally got around to ordering their sampler pack. Should be here next week, can't wait to try them out.

Well, now I guess I NEED a sausage stuffer.

Comment

• mnavarre
                mnavarre commented
                Editing a comment
                If you have the Kitchen Aid grinder the stuffer attachment actually works fairly well for small batches.

On the smoker now, I'll update this post when it is done. I used some ground venison and pork that I have in the freezer. I made a patty and fried it in a skillet and it is wonderful. The lower shelf is a link of my original version based on Vencil Mare's (of Taylor Cafe) recipe: black pepper and salt. I added red pepper to his recipe and it is a keeper ( https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...sausage-recipe ). I might change it based on Meathead 's hot guts recipe: I might use fine black pepper instead of coarse and add some fresh-cracked some whole pepper corns - seems to bring out the black pepper taste very nicely. Thanks to Meathead I now have two good Central Texas sausage recipes.

Update: @Meathead's recipe is great, these taste like Central Texas hot guts but with a little more kick than most that I've tried. I've always been a little disappointed that most sausage I've had from Central Texas is mild.

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_3019.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.32 MB ID:	802338
              Last edited by 58limited; February 12, 2020, 05:48 PM.

Comment

• 58limited
                58limited commented
                Editing a comment
                Backroadmeats Natural

• Backroadmeats
                Backroadmeats commented
                Editing a comment
                Huh. I have never seen that happen..

• 58limited
                58limited commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep, kinda strange. When I stuffed them they oozed a little red liquid before I put them on the smoker. They turned out great though.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here