Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sneak Peek: NEW Spatchcocked Turkey w/ Citrus-Herb Salt Sage Butter Recipe!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sneak Peek: NEW Spatchcocked Turkey w/ Citrus-Herb Salt Sage Butter Recipe!

You first! Here we'll post news, gear reviews, videos, and recipes that are freshly published on the public site before getting advertised there! To see all our NEW Recipes & Gear Reviews, visit the Sneak Preview channel here: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ew-for-members

Spatchcocked Turkey w/ Citrus-Herb Salt Sage Butter, by Clint Cantwell
    This spatchcock (butterflied) turkey gets a boost of flavor from sage butter and citrus-herb salt before hitting the smoker or grill for the perfect dose of smoke and flame. By spatchcocking the turkey, you guarantee that the dark and white meat are cooked to perfection as the heat is dispersed evenly across the bird.

Click image for larger version  Name:	grilled-turkey-with-citrus-herb-salt-and-sage-butter.png Views:	40 Size:	417.6 KB ID:	768834

Howbouta link to the article/recipe? Please? Thanks!

edit: Found it -- https://amazingribs.com/spatchcock-turkey-recipe
    Last edited by IowaGirl; November 14, 2019, 07:59 AM.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Oops! Sorry. This is what happens when I post things too early after switching back from my night schedule. I call it zombie mode. I am not on my game too well when in zombie mode.

Clint Cantwell the recipe sounds awesome...thanks! One question though, the recipe doesn't mention dry brining the bird. Since the recipe uses a seasoned salt, is dry brining not recommended?

Comment

• Clint Cantwell
      Clint Cantwell commented
      Editing a comment
      You certainly can, though I haven't in the past with this recipe mainly because of how much space a spatchcocked turkey takes up in an already full fridge! If not, it is plenty flavorful on its own.

Sounds great!! How big is the turkey you used to calculate amount of rub to make?

update: speaking of zombie mode... just saw 12-14 lb in the destructions. Sorry about that.
    Last edited by KarchyBBQ; November 15, 2019, 07:57 AM.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I am taking comfort that I am not alone sometimes.

• Clint Cantwell
      Clint Cantwell commented
      Editing a comment
      No worries. You can eyeball the seasoning as you would normal salt meat, or use our approximate recommendation of 1/2 tsp per pound. Enjoy!

• Murdy
      Murdy commented
      Editing a comment
      That 1/2 tsp per pound is Kosher salt I think?

I have a turkey we raised and butchered about a month ago that's in the freezer. I was going to wet brine overnight before spatchcocking and smoking. Should I still do that if I am going to follow this recipe? Is dry brining better? I've actually never done a dry brine before.

This will be the first time we are cooking a turkey not bought from a store with all the extra injected water, salt, etc they put in them.
    Last edited by tamidw; November 20, 2019, 10:11 PM.

Comment

tamidw -- I've done both and prefer to dry brine because it's less messy and less wasteful, and I think I get just as good or better results.

I dimly recall info (a study by Doc Blonder maybe?) that suggest wet brining might work a little better for poultry. But to offset that, I think there's an article by the Serious Eats folks that talks about the texture of breast meat becoming mushy when wet brining. Mind you, I'm speaking from memory here, so take it for what it's worth.

But back to your question -- there's something to be said for not changing horses in mid-stream. Maybe it would be best to do what works with this T'giving bird. Experiment with a dry brine on poultry when there's less riding on the outcome?

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Alton Brown says that dry brine makes the better Turkey for the Thanskgiving dinner, wet brining makes for better sandwich and leftovers. Makes sense to me, as dry brine produces superior skin.

• tamidw
        tamidw commented
        Editing a comment
        I decided to wet brine since I know that and will experiment in the future. I have 5 more turkeys in the freezer to play with!

• Smokey-Dave
        Smokey-Dave commented
        Editing a comment
        I've been wet brining for many years and never had mushy breast meat. I just recently tried dry brining and that works well, too. I think wet brining allows you to introduce more spices that penetrate better, but don't really know because I haven't really experimented enough with dry brining yet.

I'm thinking of making this recipe for Thanksgiving this year. It looks very good!

Regarding the brine, the recipe doesn't refer to doing a dry brine (or a wet brine for that matter) I was wondering whether a 24hr dry brine was still recommended even thought the sage butter is also being put under the skin before putting it on the smoker.

Any suggestions on wood to use? I like Mesquite or Hickory on chicken sometimes, but it may be a bit too strong for a Turkey.

Finally, I unfortunately have to transport the Turkey to my parent's house who are elderly and can't handle the Turkey. I"m figuring it will be about 90-120minutes between when I take it out of the smoker and when it gets served which means I may need to reheat it. I know this isn't ideal, but does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep the Turkey from drying out and the skin from losing its crisp? Or is it just a lost cause?

Comment

• JEFFTC
        JEFFTC commented
        Editing a comment
        Follow the FauxCambro instructions found on this site. It works really well. I've had to do it numerous times, mostly when all the others bringing food to the dinner are late and my turkey is all done!!!

• BBQDisaster
        BBQDisaster commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the advice!

• IowaGirl
        IowaGirl commented
        Editing a comment
        Little late to the party, but ... The dry brine is in step 4: "...Rub the outside of the turkey with the canola oil and season with the herb and citrus salt...." If you wanted, you could refrigerate at that point for a longer dry brine. I don't think you're going to be able to keep the skin crisp. I'd focus on keeping the bird moist and safely warm enough during transport.
        Last edited by IowaGirl; November 28, 2019, 02:22 PM.

I am not on the hook cooking tomorrow (working thru some rehab). I am cooking at least one turkey in the near future and was curious about how big of a bird do you think will fit on a Large BGE once spatchcocked? What about cooking two birds using an Adjustable Rig?

I probably ask this question every year.

Cheers and Happy Thanksgiving!

Comment

• Smokin' Hole
        Smokin' Hole commented
        Editing a comment
        Happy Thanksgiving. My 14 pdr took up all of 14"x16" on my Traeger grate. Fourteen pounds is my cutoff weight. If I need more, I cook two. And, I have no experience with an Adjustable Rig. Enjoy.

I was able to produce outstanding results on my pellet smoker via this recipe. The trial run last week was a 10 pdr and was amazing. Since our company failed to travel due to the weather, we choose to celebrate Thanksgiving yesterday and enjoy an extra day of tasty leftovers. Yesterday's 14 pdr Hutterite turkey was wet-brined and the results were amazing. Skin was crispy on both runs and the meat was cooked to moist perfection. The snow and wind did make maintaining the smoker temperature a challenge. Kudos for the recipe.

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving. My 14 pdr took up all of 14"x16" on my Traeger grate. Fourteen pounds is my cutoff weight. If I need more, I cook two. And, I have no experience with an Adjustable Rig. Enjoy.
        Thanks...I do not have any experience on a Traeger...I just need a decent guess for a Large BGE. I'll keep lookin'. Lots of time still. Hell, I probably have notes from a year or two ago.

Comment

Tried this recipe for Thanksgiving. It was excellent. I'm not a Turkey fan but it made me look forward to Thanksgiving next year. I dry brined it the night before and adjusted the salt on the rub to keep it from being over salty. I also injected it with some Canola oil before putting it on the smoker. I had to hold it in a faux cambro for a couple of hours so I lost the crispy skin, but otherwise, everyone loved it!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here