Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sneak Peek: NEW Grilla Silverbac Alpha Pellet Cooker Review, by ME!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sneak Peek: NEW Grilla Silverbac Alpha Pellet Cooker Review, by ME!

It's been a while since we've posted new content to the public site since we've been saving it up...so what better way to get back into sharing sneak peeks than a review written by yours truly!

Grilla Silverbac Alpha Wood Pellet Cooker Review, by Aaron "Huskee" Lyons
    Grilla Grills’ Silverbac pellet cookers are solid, well-built and well thought out pieces of BBQ equipment with solid, heavy-duty construction. Silverbac offers a few extra perks beyond the competition at a price point below most in this league. We tested and reviewed this cooker and award our AmazingRibs.com Best Value Gold Medal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2748 (2).jpg
Views:	1620
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	749461Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2745.jpg
Views:	750
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	749462

Well written review Huskee!

Comment

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee , np ... Here is what I can say. If I needed a second pellet cooker I would buy a SB without any hesitation... based a lot on my experience with my OG.

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      Really well written - I read the whole thing. Checks out to be a fine pellet smoker for the price - seems like a good value! I can only compare it to my Rec Tec Trailblazer which seems like similar construction but without the double wall construction.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you treesmacker I appreciate the compliment.

You're right about the WiFi. I really think these look like great pellet grills, but with just about everyone else offering WiFi, it's pretty much off the table for me and I'm actively in the market for a $700-1200 pellet grill.

Comment

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed now that I have Wi-Fi monitoring and control, I’m completely spoiled by it.

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      Actually, both Memphis and Traeger WiFi work really well. I guess I can only speak for the Traeger for 90 days, but in 18 months with the Memphis, only had to reconfigure it once.

• aladdin4d
      aladdin4d commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm with Huskee on the WiFi. It's always worked flawlessly on my GMG but I find it to be pointless for the most part. In this day and age who goes through the trouble of developing a "Smart" grill with a companion app but then completely ignores smart home integration? Answer - Apparently everybody making smart grills! Seems pretty stupid to me.

That was an excellent review!

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Dan

good write-up Huskee.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Ron

Great write up Husk!

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you good sir.

Great review Huskee !

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

That was a good read, and an excellent review!

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Henrik

Y'all are too kind, thank you so much. 'twas my first.

Comment

Great write up Huskee You may have a future here 😁

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Maybe Meathead will hire me?

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        Ya, but I can't guarantee a permanent spot

Great write up, Huskee. You may have a new future...

I like their Chimp for it's portability. You think you could get them to send me one to "evaluate"

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks K

When you called Grilla about the higher temps I'm surprised they didn't mention that most of these pellet cookers run a bit high until the internals get a nice seasoning of smoke and grease supposedly due to the radiant heat from the clean surfaces. At least thats what I've seen most pellet manufacturers say on their social media when addressing high heat.

Anyway, great review. I really like the idea of switching back and forth between control types. I wouldn't use the PID too often, but alot of people would from what I've seen on various posts.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        This was long after the seasoning process, and only when I was trying to go low at 180 (the lowest setpoint).

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
        Editing a comment
        Seasoning or the internals were darkened with stuff? After the initial burn in on my cooker the temps were high for about a month until it really got a good coating. Now it runs pretty dang close to what the controller says it is. Regardless, it's a great value cooker and they all have their own issues at every price point

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Both. I tested it over ~2 months, 80lbs pellets, and over a dozen cooks plus dry runs, everything from brisket to turkey to burgers to ears of corn. Feed rate adjustment helped in my case considerably.

For those needing/preferring WiFi, a great option to circumvent the lack of WiFi on a cooker's controller is purchasing a WiFi thermometer like the Signals or Fireboard. Of course that doesn't allow you to control the cooker itself, but to monitor things for peace of mind if you need to step out.

Comment

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a Fireboard, but it’s the convenience factor and having it available for another cooker. I think this was an awesome review and the Grilla pits look well made, but I’d give the edge to a Traeger or RecTec just to have the WiFi personally. Though there are definitely features on the Grilla that are worth considering like all the stainless parts over a Traeger. Every cooker has itt’s pluses and minuses.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        glitchy Well said and so true. If any cooker had everything everyone expected or wanted we couldn't afford it or they'd be mocked for being too ritzy perhaps.

Nice job Aaron, good review.

I'm getting to where Wi-Fi in a pellet grill is not important to me. My controller is similar to Grilla's only my "smoke" setting doesn't function above 250*. If I had the new wi-fi model they have available I'd have to pay upwards of $400 to modify mine. For what? With set and forget you do just that. I can look out the window and see the temperature gage, which is always at the set temp anyway. The only reason I can see having it would be for programming abilities, but I doubt many of them have that anyway.

Maybe I'm missing something but Wi-fi from my controller is totally unnecessary. Meat temp I can monitor anywhere via my Smoke, Signals or Fireboard.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm totally with you. It's just not important to me personally. A good working cooker that will last and make great food hassle-free is FAR more important to me. My laptop needs WiFi not my cooker.

A job well done Huskee!

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you, and it's not rigged in case you were wondering but too shy to ask...

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here