Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The single best use of cherry tomatoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The single best use of cherry tomatoes

If you are swimming in cherry tomatoes, or their cheap price at the farmer's market tempts you, here is the way to make amazing Smoked Cherry Tomato Raisins. May be my alltime favorite thing from the smoker. Really!
    Very short video from BBQ Stars

The recipe/technique:
    Smoked Tomato Raisins are the single best thing you can do with cherry tomatoes and here is the recipe for creating them. They are superb for snacking, on salads, on a pizza, in pasta, baked into breads, stuffed into chicken breasts or pork chops, or anything you would do with raisins or sun dried tomatoes.

Getting done next weekend! Wonder if you can pressure can them in oil, or is botulism too easy? I would hope the acid would negate that risk.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      If you're pressure canning you should be fine, I'm thinking of doing the same thing. We just water bath can our crushed tomatoes with a couple of Tbsp of lemon juice to bump the acid up. Going to have to do a little research on oil packing.

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't see a need to. I toss them in the freezer. If freezer space is at a premium, then CaptainMike may have the right idea, but packing in oil is always riskier.

Very timely, we tried a new-to-us variety called grappoli this year. Slightly bigger than a cherry and very sweet. They are coming on like gang-busters right now and I wasn't sure what I was going to do with them all. Now I'm sure, thanks MH. Fruitwood seems like the right choice, any other suggestion?

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      bet maple or grapevine would be good!

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      I just use whatever is on hand.

I can think of another one. Ya just need a tennis racket. 🕶

Comment

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      LAO too

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      We used to launch the left on the vine tomato's with a whiffle ball bat. Frozen ones would really fly.

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      But that can be REALLY messy! A slingshot will keep ya cleaner. ;-)

Do I want a drip pan or sth underneath?

Comment

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      Gosh, I have never noticed a drip problem. Most of the moisture evaporates.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool.

These are really good! I heard Meathead on the BBQ Central show a few weeks ago and tried the recipe that day. They didn't make it to the freezer all eaten. Made with sungold which I'd never dreamed could be improved. Excellent recipe. 👍🍅

Comment

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      Michael Brinton did you put them on anything? Id be worried about them falling through as they shrivel up.

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes. They need to go on a grill topper. I think that is in the recipe.

• Michael Brinton
      Michael Brinton commented
      Editing a comment
      grantgallagher I don't have frogmats so I used tin foil, lightly greased. I did another batch where I was pressed for time so I got some smoke on then for 1 1/2 hours then moved them to the dehydrator. It's also a really nice way to use up any split tomatoes, you don't even have to poke them.

well, i know what im doing this weekend

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Buying a tennis racket?

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Bwahahahahaha.......!!!!

Seems to take about 7+ hours but they are good.

I don’t one know why anyone is concerned about storing these. I think they’ll keep longer than the 5 seconds they last.

Click image for larger version

Name:	791B9225-B023-4C62-A6B6-E109CBF7E01C.jpeg
Views:	372
Size:	279.6 KB
ID:	744195

Name:	C318C0F4-CB27-46FC-93CD-7CFB4E9EC93B.jpeg
Views:	379
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	744196

Comment

I was 11 or 12 years old at my friend Darin's house. His brother had a friend over too. A squabble over something meaningless led to a 2-vs-2 war that destroyed his mom's cherry tomato patch and stained everything we were all wearing.

But this recipe is a good alternative for pacifists.

Comment

• ScottyC13
        ScottyC13 commented
        Editing a comment
        That reminds me of the epic Walnut Battle of 1971 between my brothers and I. Did not know that walnuts could dent inexpensive wood doors!

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        History, love me some history, the "Infamous cherry tomato patch war" & the "Epic Walnut Battle of "71’. 👍 🕶

I've made these after @Meathead's post too. They are great IMO! Planning to do more tomorrow.

Comment

Great idea!

Comment

I have a neighborhood potluck next week. It's on a Friday, so I won't have time after work to do much prep/cooking and was looking for something to make in advance. This has me thinking smoked tomato bruschetta. I can smoke some tomatoes Thursday (I work from home Thursdays) and toss with garlic, olive oil, basil, salt, pepper. After tasting, I'll decide if it needs some balsamic. I'm not sure it will be necessary with the concentrated flavor in these tomatoes. Will let it sit in the fridge overnight so all of those tasty flavors can get to know each other a little better. Nothing left to do Friday except maybe slice some bread, brush with olive oil, and toast it. Seems like a good, cheap way to contribute to a potluck.

Comment

Didn't use cherry, had a lot of baby Roma tomatoes that are tad bigger than cherry and took a long time to be done. It was worth it and we used some in a lead salad.
            Today I used some in Mac & Cheese along with homemade bacon. The tomatoes felt so in place. They had a sundried taste and then you got hit with lovely smokeness that so complimented the homemade bacon and enriched the cheese.

Didn't take picture of the finished product but this was a couple hours in.

Name:	20190924_163613.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	749307

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              I'd try cutting the Romas in half next time.

• Meathead
              Meathead commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, I cut romas in half

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here