Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sneak Peek: NEW Article: The Science Of Peppercorns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sneak Peek: NEW Article: The Science Of Peppercorns

The Science of Peppercorns, by Dave Joachim
    Black pepper is the most popular spice in the world. How are black peppercorns related to white peppercorns and pink peppercorns? Are black peppercorns related to red hot chili peppers too? Find out all about different peppers, peppercorns, and the different compounds that make them taste pungent.

Click image for larger version

Name:	peppercorn_melange.jpeg
Views:	290
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	679787

Cool article, Thanks!

Comment

Nice article but I think it's mis-named as there is no real science there, just nice, detailed descriptions of the various styles of pepper.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        It's aligned well with the other "Science of" articles on the website.

It was a interesting read. He described a few oddball "pepper" corns that I'd like to try. Maybe after my nap.😔

Comment

Pepper definitely my most favourite spice.

Comment

I'll comment a little about the term "science" so everyone might understand how the article can be viewed as science.

Scientific literature can be split into two large groups. Those would be descriptive science and the other is hypothesis driven. The best example of the later, on the pit I can think of is the smoke ring on meat. Somebody back in the day thought the smoke ring was caused by the visible smoke we generate in our grills. It was probably accepted as dogma for years, perhaps centuries. One day someone questioned that dogma. They formed a hypothesis that could then be tested via an experiment/experiments. Well they figured out that the visible smoke has nothing to do with the smoke ring. Via more questions and hypotheses they figured out the smoke ring is caused by a combustion product, nitric oxide (NO) as it reacts with the meat. So, dogma busted, science prevails and at least many of us know the final truth.

Descriptive science can take many forms but probably is best regularly seen in the journal Nature. Nature is one of, if not , the top scientific journal in the world. If a scientist gets published in Nature, he or she is the big guy or gal around campus. There are many articles in Nature that are strictly descriptive. I have a colleague who was rooting around in the leaf litter in Borneo. He made the cover of Nature with several new species of varmints he found. Very cool!!!

So, the peppercorn article, along with many other articles in the pit are descriptive and can be viewed as scientific literature. The depth of each varies along with the amount of prose. Additionally, these articles are targeting the masses. Easy, enjoyable reading with some science mixed in.

Hopefully, these descriptive or hypothesis driven articles will stimulate everyone to think, question, and be healthy skeptics. These are the foundations of science.

If you enjoy astronomy, you should read about the "canals" on Mars. Descriptive science at it's best where many could see the canals but rarely did anyone agree on where they were on the planet. I'll leave the surprising punch line/ facts to those that want an interesting read.

Sorry for the long diatribe. Rhett

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
            ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
            Editing a comment
            saved me a lot of words I like the article very much, and it makes me miss the peppercorn trees my grandma had growing. The best part is, I discovered at LEAST 3 pepper varieties I never knew about and will be seeking to try in the future.

Hmmm - a hot topic.

Comment

Over at the KK forum, Tasmanian Pepper has been dubbed "Purple Crack"...because it really is that good and addicting.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here